The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Hi guys, does some with 5 A*s and 5 As at GCSE stand any chance at Cambridge for Medicine if they do really well in their AS levels and BMAT, or would they stand no chance at all, I know at Oxford they take GCSEs into more account but what grades does the average successful Cambridge applicant have? Thanks

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 541
Original post by StudentAT
Hi guys, does some with 5 A*s and 5 As at GCSE stand any chance at Cambridge for Medicine if they do really well in their AS levels and BMAT, or would they stand no chance at all, I know at Oxford they take GCSEs into more account but what grades does the average successful Cambridge applicant have? Thanks

Yes, you do stand a chance- good UMS and BMAT scores will easily compensate for slightly below average GCSEs.
Reply 542
Just waiting patiently for my rejection. :frown: with a lot of angst and self-chastisement.

Reply 543
Any international applicants receive a second interview through Skype after their first one overseas?
Original post by Handful
I got the following grades:

Physics - 92%
Biology - 98%
Chemistry - 100%
Maths - 100%

(So. Pleased. With. Myself.)

UKCAT: 750 Avg.

I'm predicted 4 A*s at A2, so you're **** in comparison to me. Unlucky.

Well I got an offer from Cambridge so....
Also the arrogance levels in this one are too damn high!
Original post by rhetoric
Yes, you do stand a chance- good UMS and BMAT scores will easily compensate for slightly below average GCSEs.

Yes, but equally good UMS and great interviews are actually really important. I actually didn't do too well in my BMAT - just about averaged a 5 in sections 1 and 2. I did well in my A- levels but was still not sure how important the BMAT would be. But contrary to my first thoughts, the interview seems really important. I always thought Cambridge were only interested in academic perfectionists and the interviews were only important to ensure that you aren't mad or to determine whether borderline candidates would get in. Turns out the interview is MASSIVELY important- even more so than the BMAT. A lot of better academics at my college got rejected and I got an offer. Whoever came up with the rumour that Cambridge don't regard interviews highly clearly isn't true (not for my college anyway)
Reply 546
Original post by Litterbug
Yes, but equally good UMS and great interviews are actually really important. I actually didn't do too well in my BMAT - just about averaged a 5 in sections 1 and 2. I did well in my A- levels but was still not sure how important the BMAT would be. But contrary to my first thoughts, the interview seems really important. I always thought Cambridge were only interested in academic perfectionists and the interviews were only important to ensure that you aren't mad or to determine whether borderline candidates would get in. Turns out the interview is MASSIVELY important- even more so than the BMAT. A lot of better academics at my college got rejected and I got an offer. Whoever came up with the rumour that Cambridge don't regard interviews highly clearly isn't true (not for my college anyway)

Good point, StudentAT didn't ask about interviews though, I was assuming they were deciding whether to apply and therefore were before the interview stage. However, agreed, Cambridge use the interviews to see how you think and essentially whether you are someone who would work well in the supervision system and that they would enjoy teaching.
Original post by Litterbug

BMAT correlates better with Tripos than interview scores. I'd be interested in their justification for placing higher weighting on the interview. Seems pretty unscientific for them to do that - although I can imagine that it is the case.
Reply 548
Actually they're still collecting data on BMAT/ Tripos correlation. I assume they trust the interview as they have much more experience with it, the BMAT being a relatively new thing.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
BMAT correlates better with Tripos than interview scores. I'd be interested in their justification for placing higher weighting on the interview. Seems pretty unscientific for them to do that - although I can imagine that it is the case.

I can't say its the same for every college. But certainly for mine it appeared that the interview was probably the most important factor in getting an offer, particularly as we had 3 interviews- 1 for 15 minute and 2 for 30 minutes each.
Original post by rhetoric
Actually they're still collecting data on BMAT/ Tripos correlation. I assume they trust the interview as they have much more experience with it, the BMAT being a relatively new thing.

Correlations with Tripos (in rank order):

UMS with Part IA: 0.38
GCSE with Part IA: 0.27
BMAT S2 with Part IA: 0.26
BMAT S1 with Part IA: 0.19
Interview with Parts IA and IB: 0.078

Sources: http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/research/docs/prefective_effectiveness_of_metrics_in_admission.pdf
http://www.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/ca/digitalAssets/109480_Medical_and_Veterinary_Admissions_Tests.pdf

Note that I'm not disputing that they place a large weight on interview - they probably do! I just think it's not really backed up by much evidence, so seems a bit strange.
Original post by Handful
I got the following grades:

Physics - 92%
Biology - 98%
Chemistry - 100%
Maths - 100%

(So. Pleased. With. Myself.)

UKCAT: 750 Avg.

I'm predicted 4 A*s at A2, so you're **** in comparison to me. Unlucky.

WOW. Please climb down from up your own arse before some of the other medics on here decide to operate and do it for you! I sincerely hope you didn't get an offer and if you did then Im not going to bump into you in Cambridge!!! I was always worried there would be people like you.

Latest

Trending

Trending