The Student Room Group

Which subject should I drop?

Hi,
I've received my AS results, which I am happy with overall (AABC).
But I have messed up Maths - I got a C.

I've got 79 UMS for C1 in January, and now have received 66UMS for C2 and 59 UMS for S1- an overall of 68.5UMS (C).

I also got 65UMS for Unit 1 for Philosophy in January, and now have been given 78UMS for Unit 2- an overall of 72% (rounded - B).

Which one should I drop?

I understand it is helpful to know other things to answer this, so here are some details:

1) I wish to apply for an Economics related course (probably PPE or Politics and Economics)
2) I prefer Philosophy, but Maths classes will most probably be smaller next year
3) I'm taking Politics, and have an interest in ideologies, which would help with Philosophy for next year
4) I got an A* for GCSE Maths
5) I will mainly apply to Russell group universities (e.g. Nottingham) and I will probably apply for Durham (PPE)

I have 86 UMS (on average) for Economics, and I wonder if dropping Maths at a C will hinder my prospects? (Bare in mind I will not be doing straight Economics, most definitely a joint honours degree)

Thank you.

Note: PPE - Politics Philosophy and Economics
(edited 12 years ago)
ditch philosophy in my opinion. maths is much more valued by and useful to employers. they don't give a damn about philosophy for the most part.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
maths is a must for economics
Original post by TheSelfAcknowleged
Hi,

I've got 79 UMS for C1 in January, and now have received 66UMS for C2 and 59 UMS for S1- an overall of 68.5UMS (C).

I also got 65UMS for Unit 1 for Philosophy in January, and now have been given 78UMS for Unit 2- an overall of 72% (rounded - B).

Which one should I drop?

I understand it is helpful to know other things to answer this, so here are some details:

1) I wish to apply for an Economics related course (probably PPE or Politics and Economics)
2) I prefer Philosophy, but Maths classes will most probably be smaller next year
3) I'm taking Politics, and have an interest in ideologies, which would help with Philosophy for next year
4) I got an A* for GCSE Maths
5) I will mainly apply to Russell group universities (e.g. Nottingham) and I will probably apply for Durham (PPE)

I have 86 UMS (on average) for Economics, and I wonder if dropping Maths at a C will hinder my prospects? (Bare in mind I will not be doing straight Economics, most definitely a joint honours degree)

Thank you.

Note: PPE - Politics Philosophy and Economics

Definitely keep Maths. I got an E in C1 but resat it in Year 13.
Original post by TheSelfAcknowleged
Hi,

Which one should I drop?
If you enjoy them all then why not keep all of them?
You'll find that Mathematics may be a prerequisite for Economics related courses.
I'm am sceptical to whether doing a joint honours degree will change anything here. The qualitative nature of economics means that a high grade in A Level Mathematics is desirable.

Quick Reply

Latest