The Student Room Group

How did you do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by ...mo...
Taking accounting,Ict,eco and maths

Either do 4 or drop ICT?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1747132

What are your AS grades, what do you want to do, and where are you planning to apply?
Original post by RobertWhite
What are your AS grades, what do you want to do, and where are you planning to apply?

please see red reply on 1st page for grades.

I want to do accounting and finance at uni possibly at Loughborough/birmingham
Reply 142
Original post by ...mo...
please see red reply on 1st page for grades.

I want to do accounting and finance at uni possibly at Loughborough/birmingham

Drop ICT.
Original post by RobertWhite
Drop ICT.

can we please talk on the other thread. I will be there. Just quote me

Thanks
Reply 144
got A*A*AA! really pleased! i was expecting A*ABC
Original post by xtang
got A*A*AA! really pleased! i was expecting A*ABC

well done wat uni/course u doin?
People keep getting A's and B's. I was rather happy with my C C D D. One D was in general Studies and My other was in Biology - which was an improvement because in my exams i got U's on most papers. i resat all of them and went up two grades. i was soo happy :biggrin:
Reply 147
I was predicted A*A*A*A in Bio Maths Gen Studies and Chem although i thought this unlikely and I needed AAA and I was crazily happy when I got A*A*AA (the one A* I missed from my prediction was general studies and i couldnt care less) Im so over then moon as i was so nervous about chemistry... yay so overall including as A*A*AAaa well done to everyone for their amazing results :smile:
Was expecting BBB and to massively fail my uni offer, cried for weeks and weeks over one exam, planned gap year and turned up to my school on results day armed with all my clearing stuff.

Got A*A*A* and an A*in EPQ. Moral of the story is, I can't predict my own A levels to save my life.
Got A*A*A*, thought I would get A*AA so i'm really happy!

Still didn't get into uni though haha!
Reply 150
I got A* A* C, but needed AAB for Leeds so they wouldn't accept me. I'm going to UCLan though, which I love :biggrin:
Expected A*AA, got A*A*B which I guess is roughly the same? Still got onto my course so I'm happy either way
Reply 152
I thought I would get a B in Maths therefore missing any uni places, but getting A*A*AABa (A in maths) was better than I thought, I thought I'd just meet the firm offer AAA XD
Reply 153
Got CCDE for AS, but then again my sixth form was rated 514th out of 528, and it doesn't look like many of us have actually done particularly well.
A*AA! Predicted ABB what a result!
ADDD for AS. T^T I'm afraid that if I resit the result will be worse.
Predicted BBD got AAC
Original post by n33t
Ahh you did amazing, but just saw the A* in Extended Project in particular..How on earth did you get that? I'm meant to be doing mine over the summer (haven't started..great). I have no idea what to do yet alone, going around actually doing it!

Aaaww thank you! Congratulations on your fab AS results :smile:
I honestly have no idea how I managed to get an A* in the EP...at the end of it we had to reflect on what we would change if we were to do it again and my list was very very long, I did not organise my time very well at all, and ended up doing the entire essay over a couple of days. But maybe (clearly) this approach is what worked for me haha...I would say you need to make sure you're doing it on something you are really interested in otherwise writing 5000 words is going to be impossible. Likewise, don't stress over the wordcount because if you do your research and plan your essay well, you'll find you may actually need to cut down on words.
Try not to do it on something directly related to your subjects/a topic you're studying in class, it's good to show the universities you're applying to that you're taking your interest in the subjects beyond the A level syllabus. I did mine on the changing attitudes towards intimate partner violence in British and Hispanic countries, so you could maybye think of an interesting/current social issue to explore? My friend who's doing medicine did his on whether the NHS should provide free treatment for self-induced problems like smoking/drug addiction/obesity, or something. He did even better than me (full marks I think!) Just have a think about it and if you find you can't pick something you are really enthusiastic about, it might be better to not do it and save yourself the stress because it is a lot of work and a big commitment (not just writing the essay, but documenting all yoyr research, making sure you use a range of primary and secondary resources, planning and delivering the presentation etc.)
Reply 158
Original post by un-besito
Aaaww thank you! Congratulations on your fab AS results :smile:
I honestly have no idea how I managed to get an A* in the EP...at the end of it we had to reflect on what we would change if we were to do it again and my list was very very long, I did not organise my time very well at all, and ended up doing the entire essay over a couple of days. But maybe (clearly) this approach is what worked for me haha...I would say you need to make sure you're doing it on something you are really interested in otherwise writing 5000 words is going to be impossible. Likewise, don't stress over the wordcount because if you do your research and plan your essay well, you'll find you may actually need to cut down on words.
Try not to do it on something directly related to your subjects/a topic you're studying in class, it's good to show the universities you're applying to that you're taking your interest in the subjects beyond the A level syllabus. I did mine on the changing attitudes towards intimate partner violence in British and Hispanic countries, so you could maybye think of an interesting/current social issue to explore? My friend who's doing medicine did his on whether the NHS should provide free treatment for self-induced problems like smoking/drug addiction/obesity, or something. He did even better than me (full marks I think!) Just have a think about it and if you find you can't pick something you are really enthusiastic about, it might be better to not do it and save yourself the stress because it is a lot of work and a big commitment (not just writing the essay, but documenting all yoyr research, making sure you use a range of primary and secondary resources, planning and delivering the presentation etc.)

Ah that sounds great :smile: Your friends topic seems interesting actually but i would have no idea where to start or what to ramble on for 5000 words lol! Thanks anyway!
Original post by Amy2201
You still did really well though! I needed ABB for firm and BBB for my insurance. I got BBC, and missed my firm and insurance. I rang my insurance and told them of the circumstances (i was literally 1 UMS point off a B in that C grade) and they just completely refused. Which is fair enough, I didnt meet the requirements. Its just unfortunate really. I have found the course I applied for in clearing, just at a different Uni and I've got a place, so at least I've got my course, if not the Uni I wanted!

I think even though we didnt get exactly what we wanted, we're far luckier than most. This year its so hard to get in, I know people who, like me, missed their offer by a few UMS points, and cant get in ANYWHERE. Either their course isnt in clearing, or the clearing Unis wont let them in. Their only option is applying next year, or maybe finding a different route to their career/future plans.

Anyway long reply, sorry! I just wanted to share because your situation was quite similar in that you did really well but missed your offer. Anyway, Congratulations! :biggrin:

Thank you Amy - Congratulations to you too. Several of my friends missed their offers but still got their places.
I think it was a bit of a shock as at GCSE I got 1B in IT(teacher was not even there for 6 months so nobody got above a B) ,
A for science,double science & French
A* for english lang/ eng it/latin/history(100%)/maths.
Was originally predicted AAA at 6th form but broke foot last September & missed a lots lessons. Plus did an engineering enrichment for 2 years so even more lessons missed as went through to Big Bang Finals in 2011. Probably didn't help my grades BUT may have helped get my alternative course at 1st choice uni. Now going to do systems engineering instead of aeronautical engineering. The Engineering enrichment was possibly a double edged sword, Good Luck to you:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest