The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University Freshers 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Freshers events tickets are now available to buy on the DSU website guys :biggrin:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
English Literature at Castle!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 82
Economics at Hatfield!!! :smile:
Reply 83
Original post by Antifazian
Freshers events tickets are now available to buy on the DSU website guys :biggrin:

Do you think we should buy them in advance or wait until we get there? Worried I might not know anyone else who was going
Reply 84
Original post by JACKKDINE
Do you think we should buy them in advance or wait until we get there? Worried I might not know anyone else who was going

Well somebody on the collingwood college facebook group posted this; "In my freshers I didn't know the events were a big deal (i didn't know there were facebook groups like these if there were, and hadn't met or spoken to anyone before I went) so didn't buy the tickets beforehand. When I got to uni and realised all my friends had prebought. I then tried to get tickets from the DSU and they'd sold out. I was disappointed to say the least... I missed out on a massive night in freshers week! So basically my advice is to prebuy if you don't want to miss out! xx"

So I think that pretty much answers your question :smile:
Plus freshers is all about meeting new people anyway.
Reply 85
On the flip side of that the 'Freshers ball' for the last couple of year has been a massive disappointment, expensive ticket, expensive drinks, poor acts etc. etc. there were murmurings they have done something a bit different this year in which case it might be better but I haven't seen.

Having said that the other nights are good in my experience, especially the Freshers bop.
Original post by Quagers
On the flip side of that the 'Freshers ball' for the last couple of year has been a massive disappointment, expensive ticket, expensive drinks, poor acts etc. etc. there were murmurings they have done something a bit different this year in which case it might be better but I haven't seen.

Having said that the other nights are good in my experience, especially the Freshers bop.

They've got an act people have heard of this year at least!
Original post by Quagers

I think I heard that they were going to make better use of the money this year.

Irritatingly, the Freshers' Ball was the only big DSU event I went to in first term, and didn't enjoy it - I had a ticket for the Bop, but didn't go because I was feeling quite ill, so it was Trevs' ceilidh instead!
Do you think the fresher's events are worth going to as a postgrad fresher, though? I'm debating going. On the one hand, I'm going to be living in private accommodation, and I'm a PhD student so I won't have courses to meet people on either. The last thing I want is to end up completely isolated 300 miles from home! But, I'm almost 24, and I did the whole fresher's ball thing with my undergrad. I remember there being almost no postgrads there at all, so I don't wanna stick out like a sore thumb, looking like I'm just trying to relive my youth!
Reply 89
Original post by LukethePianoMan
Maths and physics at St Mary's,

Original post by Misiak
physics at collingwood :smile:

Original post by Kwantum
Physics at Aidan's

Original post by chrlsgrm
Physics at Van Mildert :smile:

Original post by AdamASAFC
Theoretical Physics at St Cuthberts :biggrin:

Original post by pianofluteftw
Physics at Aidan's :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Hello, I'll be applying for Durham Physics in 2012 and was wondering if you could share any useful tips/advice/knowledge that helped you when you were applying. I know you're probably sick of ucas and such by now but any help on anything to do with my application would be greatly appreciated ^^

I hope you have a great time a Durham.
History at Collingwood, very excited!

Just a query about DUO. Got my login name, and got my password from the help on here, when I try to log in it says:

Could not log in. Valid authentication credentials were not provided.

Any ideas? Has anyone managed to get on?
Original post by harrietdaisy

Just a query about DUO. Got my login name, and got my password from the help on here, when I try to log in it says:

Literally just keep trying - mine generally logs in on the 3rd or 4th attempt (I've now logged in quite a few times) :smile: And make sure you have the correct upper and lower case parts in the password :smile:
Original post by pianofluteftw
Literally just keep trying - mine generally logs in on the 3rd or 4th attempt (I've now logged in quite a few times) :smile: And make sure you have the correct upper and lower case parts in the password :smile:

Been trying and trying but still no go - I'll keep trying, and email on Monday if not sorted. Haven't officially got my password email yet, working off the info posted here, so maybe I'm not registered properly yet or something.
Been trying and trying but still no go - I'll keep trying, and email on Monday if not sorted. Haven't officially got my password email yet, working off the info posted here, so maybe I'm not registered properly yet or something.

That might be it as well - it might just not recognise you yet anyway :smile: Best of luck!

how did you get your password? ive got my login name but no password. or do they email you it later? cheers :smile:
Reply 95
^^ yeah they email you the password after the username, I got the password about a day after i got my username emailed to me :smile:

btw has anyone noticed in the introduction pack that one form says the Licence agreement has to be done by the 2nd of September and another form says that it will be availiabe on AES after the 7th of september! which one is right? :smile: Have any of you done it already?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Mossy22
^^ yeah they email you the password after the username, I got the password about a day after i got my username emailed to me :smile:

btw has anyone noticed in the introduction pack that one form says the Licence agreement has to be done by the 2nd of September and another form says that it will be availiabe on AES after the 7th of september! which one is right? :smile: Have any of you done it already?

I haven't seen either of those dates - mine just says it will not be availible before 1st Sept and then to check back soon...
Original post by magicalelf
how did you get your password? ive got my login name but no password. or do they email you it later? cheers :smile:

Yeah 1 day later :smile:
are we meant to receive something that tells us what's going on during freshers week?

can we buy tickets for events anywhere?
Reply 99
Original post by rubberdam123
are we meant to receive something that tells us what's going on during freshers week?

can we buy tickets for events anywhere?

http://www.dsu.org.uk/ :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest