The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University Freshers 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by poisoned_rose
I can't make Freshers Fair :frown: I have departmental induction all day Tuesday and Wednesday AM, and then matriculation PM. Sucks. I do know what socs I wanna join though, so I might just have to contact them individually.

Which department are you studying with?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
can't buy the freshers event pack anymore!!
I look forward to selling you all discounted shampoo and condoms at your local Boots store.

Freshers was busy as hell last year :frown:
Original post by LukethePianoMan
Which department are you studying with?

Biological Siences - PhD

Original post by rubberdam123
can't buy the freshers event pack anymore!!

You may still be able to buy separately, or they may be holding some event pack tickets back for the start of freshers week so that everyone can have a chance to buy them
Hi, has anyone managed to set up their direct debits for accommodation on AES yet? Mine keeps telling me that the student enrolment system needs completing first... but isn't that only completed when we arrive, cos we need to prove I.D.s?
Original post by Sundaegirl
Hi, has anyone managed to set up their direct debits for accommodation on AES yet? Mine keeps telling me that the student enrolment system needs completing first... but isn't that only completed when we arrive, cos we need to prove I.D.s?

I literally just filled everything I could in - your modules you apparently choose for definite once you get there but fill in as much as you possibly can - and you may need to wait for about a day for it to work.

But otherwise ring them and check :smile:
Thanks! I'd tried to complete everything on there a few weeks ago, including the modules. On the main checklist on DUO only the "Enrolment" section has a tick next to it though, not for "modules" or "verification". Was yours like that that when you set it up? I may have to give them a ring...
Original post by Sundaegirl
Thanks! I'd tried to complete everything on there a few weeks ago, including the modules. On the main checklist on DUO only the "Enrolment" section has a tick next to it though, not for "modules" or "verification". Was yours like that that when you set it up? I may have to give them a ring...

Yes only "Enrolement" had a tick next to it - but by the time I tried the accomodation my photo had been approved (you get an email) and my elective module had appeared on the homepage of my DUO. I would give them a ring if it's more than a couple of days sinceyou did it all - but just to warn you I found trying to understand all of the direct debit stuff on the Accomodation agreement as confusing as everything else :tongue:
anyone know how i can set up my durham email account on my blackberry?
are we supposed to sign up/select our modules now, or wait until we're at durham?
Reply 170
Original post by prettygreen
are we supposed to sign up/select our modules now, or wait until we're at durham?

You're supposed to do it before you get there, as apparently it's mega busy if you wait and do it once you're there! :smile:
Reply 171
Original post by rubberdam123
anyone know how i can set up my durham email account on my blackberry?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=31849351&postcount=12

Thanks. Do you know what the Durham password is?
I'm am not technically a fresher, yet I kind of am. I move in tomorrow. Still surrounding by things to pack. Eck. Hoping it will feel like home really quickly. :smile:
Reply 174
Just out of curiosity, having read some of the earlier posts in this thread, what actually is 'white tie'?
Reply 175
Original post by sanksta
Just out of curiosity, having read some of the earlier posts in this thread, what actually is 'white tie'?

White tie is the most formal attire one could wear in one's life. Simply put, think of a dinner with the Queen, where everyman wears a black tailcoat and trousers, white tie, white waistcoast, etc. Females generally wear a white ball gown (covering shoulders), and accessories like white gloves, etc. Hope that helps.
Reply 176
Original post by Kwantum
White tie is the most formal attire one could wear in one's life. Simply put, think of a dinner with the Queen, where everyman wears a black tailcoat and trousers, white tie, white waistcoast, etc. Females generally wear a white ball gown (covering shoulders), and accessories like white gloves, etc. Hope that helps.

Ah ok, thanks! I'd just never heard of anything more formal than black tie before. :smile:
Reply 177
So who's found out who their Durham parents are yet? :biggrin:

2 weeks to go everyone! 10 days if you're international! (I think :redface:) :banana2::banana:

Anyone know what clubs or societies they want to join yet!?
Original post by Antifazian

Original post by Antifazian
So who's found out who their Durham parents are yet?

I've found out who my college kids are if that counts :biggrin:
Reply 179
Hmm the parenting system never worked out for me.
I got two Modern Languages parents because no one else ever does Archaeology. They were nice but obviously our interests didn't match, and they both took off to France in 2nd year.
My one and only child was also lovely but showed no interest in our encouragement e-mails or dinner invitations or even revision notes. So that was that, I'm done.
I did have a lovely uncle though ^^ If it doesn't work out, adopt your own College family.

Quick Reply

Latest