The Student Room Group

I want to apply for chemical engineering, but I have a B in AS Chemistry...

just got my AS results, AABD, the D was in physics which I plan to drop and the two A's were in double maths.

My actual predicted grades for A2 are probably going to be A*A*B.

will the B destroy my chances in chemical engineering? I want to apply to UCL, their offer is AAA-AAB, but this is varying quite a lot and I wouldn't be surprised if they change it to just AAA by the time I apply to uni.

so I would have A*A*B predictions but applying to a course which requires AAA. Do you think they will be flexible? They might say, "oh this kid has two A*'s in maths and a B in chem, we'll just let him in anyway".

OR they might be very strict and corporate about these things.

Chemical engineering isn't a popular course at all, I know that much. So will the admission tutors have mercy considering that Chem Eng is a relatively unpopular course?

EDIT: i know the answer is not set in stone, I just want your judgement

EDIT no. 2: just a second minor question, I self taught further maths, who predicts my grade?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
bump
Original post by Ilyas
just got my AS results, AABD, the D was in physics which I plan to drop and the two A's were in double maths.

My actual predicted grades for A2 are probably going to be A*A*B.

will the B destroy my chances in chemical engineering? I want to apply to UCL, their offer is AAA-AAB, but this is varying quite a lot and I wouldn't be surprised if they change it to just AAA by the time I apply to uni.

so I would have A*A*B predictions but applying to a course which requires AAA. Do you think they will be flexible? They might say, "oh this kid has two A*'s in maths and a B in chem, we'll just let him in anyway".

OR they might be very strict and corporate about these things.

Chemical engineering isn't a popular course at all, I know that much. So will the admission tutors have mercy considering that Chem Eng is a relatively unpopular course?

EDIT: i know the answer is not set in stone, I just want your judgement

EDIT no. 2: just a second minor question, I self taught further maths, who predicts my grade?

If you don't shoot, you don't score but bear in mind the top universities are competitive irrespective of course. Maybe phone them up and ask. Also it might be worth considering Scottish universities e.g. aberdeen and herriot watt because there are many firms looking for chemical engineeers in these regions and many tend to recruit locally. You would be very likely to get a job from the off.
Reply 3
Original post by Complex Simplicity
If you don't shoot, you don't score but bear in mind the top universities are competitive irrespective of course. Maybe phone them up and ask. Also it might be worth considering Scottish universities e.g. aberdeen and herriot watt because there are many firms looking for chemical engineeers in these regions and many tend to recruit locally. You would be very likely to get a job from the off.

thanks for the reply

but just one point I would like to comment on:

"bear in mind the top universities are competitive irrespective of course"

isn't it about the applicant per place ratio?...
Reply 4
Oh man, I managed to get myself a C in Chemistry :frown:
The others were okay though I guess (ABB in Maths, Physics, Biology)
Crap, are UCL okay with retakes?
I'd still go for it, can raise it to an A next year and even if not most Russel group unis I checked weren't that fussed about having an A in chemistry (got onto Newcastle for a masters in chem with a B at AS that's now turned to an A).
Original post by Ilyas
thanks for the reply

but just one point I would like to comment on:

"bear in mind the top universities are competitive irrespective of course"

isn't it about the applicant per place ratio?...

To a degree but also quality of application. Many applicants with good grades is less competitive than few with top grades provided there are still more applicants than places. I honestly think you should ask, they may not be able to say for certain but can give you a much better idea than we. Who arnt involved in the selection process can

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending