The Student Room Group
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

Philosophy/Politics at UCLan

Hey, does anyone have any experiences with these two subjects at UCLan what are the departments/courses like?
Original post by AdzD
Hey, does anyone have any experiences with these two subjects at UCLan what are the departments/courses like?

I' m studying philosophy did a politics module as well, any Q's?
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by TheSophist
I' m studying philosophy did a politics module as well, any Q's?

What are the staff like? and hows the standard of teaching?

What can kind of stuff can I expect on the course as theirs no module descriptions and Introduction to Philosophy A and B aren't helpful!

How many people are thier usually on the course?

I have loads lol but any answers will be very much appreciated :biggrin:
Original post by AdzD

What can kind of stuff can I expect on the course as theirs no module descriptions and Introduction to Philosophy A and B aren't helpful!

In terms of teaching it comes down to lectures and tutorials. lecutres just give you an overview of what texts you would have read before the lecture via ppt.

in the tutorials its your chance to ask questions to problems of understanding you've had.

All the lecturers are friendly and will help you out with problems when you ask them.

introduction to philosophy covers the basics and as it says introduces you to the subject matter not assuming you had much interaction with philosophy.

In 1 it was a few of platos dialogues and critical thinking(logic), 2 was epistemology(Descartes Meditations) and Metaphysics (the problem of free will). But I think they change the subject matter from year to year.
Original post by AdzD

I think theres about 20 -30 people (I was in my 1st year), they divide them up though into groups for tutorials
Reply 5
Cheers mate! you've been really helpful, but i've got one more question how much should i be expecting to spend on course materials like books and stuff?
Original post by AdzD
Cheers mate! you've been really helpful, but i've got one more question how much should i be expecting to spend on course materials like books and stuff?

you can get the books from the library, but they only have like 1 or 2 copies. So you may want to just buy the book second hand or something

you can print of the readings. I personally bought a laser printer which is economical considering how much I printed. I prefer reading them on paper rather than read online (which is where they are by the way). they have alot of ebooks on the library catalogue.

student loans is more than enough, I cant say how much, but you could easily just use whats in the library. Its just troublesome if its a particular book for a particular week
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest