The Student Room Group

Got good results but I feel so guilty now

I got A*A*A which I was obviously extremely pleased with, so earlier I changed my facebook status to what I'd got. I've now found out that my best friend got BCC which means she won't be going to where she wanted to, and my boyfriend got ABB which is good but he hasn't got into his firm and feels really gutted. I feel so guilty for changing my status earlier without thinking about how it might make these two feel, and now I feel that they think I was gloating.. which I sort of was, I don't know. I'm going out for a meal with my family later but I feel I can't even fully enjoy it because of this, and also because I can't be happy when I know that the two people I care about most are sitting at home feeling upset.
Not your fault that they didn't do as well as they perhaps should have. Why should you have to bow to pressure to abstain from sharing good news?
You posted your results, that is it. With respect, your almost turning your fears into a reality, if you were happy and posted them, good for you. There are obviously times when it is inadequate, but your friends should (I guess) I have the levels of appropriateness to not see any cynical or egotistic reason for posting the results. Its just unfortunate there is so much variance in all of your results, but its by no means wrong of you to do that.

Yes, you could've simply written you are happy, and maybe that would've been better, but you shouldn't necessarily expect them to react aggressively, but yes I think they may have been slightly upset. But it is natural, and I guess friends are there to accept you irrespective of grades.
Reply 3
This should be in H& R
Reply 4
I feel bad as well because i was always saying to my friends that I wouldn't get in to my firm (and i genuinley thought that, wasn't being modest or anything) and then 2 of my closest friends didnt meet their offers and are now trying to get into other unis thorugh clearing :frown: but I am really happy about my results and getting into my firm - just have to hide it from them :frown:
Don't feel guilty. If they care about you then they'll be happy for you. tbh i wouldn't post my results as my fb status but oh well you have now so no need to feel bad about it. Enjoy your success!
Reply 6
I know how you feel, I always feel bad on results day because I do better than my friends, and there are people in tears as they open their results. You have every right to be proud of them, and anyone who is a true friend will be happy for you regardless of how you did compared to them. The way I see it, exams aren't a competition to beat everyone, everyone has their own targets which they want/need to achieve, and it's about individual accomplishment.
So long as you did it as a statement of fact, i dont see why its a problem. If you starting boasting about it however, that may be too far.
Reply 8
I understand how you feel. You shouldn't feel guilty but being upset is understandable.
Go out with your family, it's a big day for you and for them as well. Your parents have been probably waiting for this day since you were born :smile: enjoy your time with them and later, after your friend and your bf have had time to face the bad news you can meet up with them and try and make them feel better. Remind them that its not the end of the world and that even if they missed their firm they can still go to uni and have a nice time. The same way you feel bad for them, they should feel happy for you, and I'm sure they do :smile:
Congratulations on your success and don't feel guilty, you did nothing wrong.
Reply 9
You did well and wanted to tell others about it - there's nothing wrong in that. I personally disagree with results statuses, but not because it makes other people feel bad. They should have worked harder if it bothers them. And you would have told them anyway at some point, having the same effect. This is coming from someone in the priviledged position of getting the same as his best friend though.
You were able to get A*A*A, yet you still make retarded threads like these? Guess A levels aren't as good a measure of intelligence as many seem to think
Original post by chloeee!
I got A*A*A which I was obviously extremely pleased with, so earlier I changed my facebook status to what I'd got. I've now found out that my best friend got BCC which means she won't be going to where she wanted to, and my boyfriend got ABB which is good but he hasn't got into his firm and feels really gutted. I feel so guilty for changing my status earlier without thinking about how it might make these two feel, and now I feel that they think I was gloating.. which I sort of was, I don't know. I'm going out for a meal with my family later but I feel I can't even fully enjoy it because of this, and also because I can't be happy when I know that the two people I care about most are sitting at home feeling upset.

Go out with your family, be happy! I've just finished my GCSEs and if I got the grades you have for A levels, I would be over the moon! It's not your fault for their grades, try not to gloat but enjoy it as you have worked for them! :smile:
Not half as guilty as I feel. I got A*A*AA and was talking to someone at college earlier like "oh god, I thought I was going to get DEED or something" ... Guess what he got?

:facepalm2: embarrassing awkward silence ensued.
Reply 13
I don't see how you've done anything wrong. If it was just a simple "Yay! Happy with my results" status, then there's certainly nothing wrong with that. Hell, everyone's doing that today :dontknow:
I can understand you'd be upset for them because they didn't do as well as they hoped but they still did great! It might not mean they will get the places in university that they wanted, but there are other routes to get to where they want to be and go with life. I didn't do extremely well in my exams (Leaving Cert, like A Levels but for Irish students) but I still got to where I want to be in a course I love! I'm sure they are extremely happy for you for getting your results and while they are upset, doesn't mean you can't go and enjoy yourself at your meal. You obviously worked very hard to get them results, be proud of yourself!
Oh come on. This is one of your happiest moments, you shouldn't feel guilty about anything. Instead of posting about it on TSR go and celebrate with your family. Your friend and boyfriend should be happy for you

Quick Reply

Latest