The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Have I blown my chances of getting into UCL?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lollyage
Pretty certain we have to declare our AS grades unfortunately.

Really? I was fairly certain there is no interview because on their website it only mentions a questionnaire and people on TSR who have applied for UCL Linguistics have said this :s-smilie: Oh well, I'll see when (if) I get there.
Planning on getting my psychology remarked since I was only 2 marks off. May get english remarked too as it was only 5 marks off. Oh the agony :mad: Do you know if UCL will get our UMS marks as well as our letter grades?

Also, my other choices are King's, Manchester, Sheffield and QMUL and my lowest offer will be ABB. Do you think that's okay?

They used to interview, but they seem to have switched to questionnaires since the days when I was applying.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
I got BBCC at AS this time last year.

I'm gonna be a UCL Fresher next month.

It can be done! (and I'd of had a second A had the M2 and C3 boundaries not been so evil ¬¬)
Reply 42
Original post by HampshireDave
I got BBCC at AS this time last year.

I'm gonna be a UCL Fresher next month.

It can be done! (and I'd of had a second A had the M2 and C3 boundaries not been so evil ¬¬)

Really? Great! What were your predictions? :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by TurboCretin
Just retake your worst module in Psychology and English to bump them up to As. I have just finished the Linguistics course at UCL, and my results at AS were ACC, predicted ABC for A2. The requirement was ABB, but I suppose they liked the fact I was doing Maths and Physics. I got the ABB in the end, but they certainly took a gamble with me.

Anyway, don't despair. It's a very laid back department, and English Language, Maths and Psychology is a good combo for the kind of Linguistics they do there. If you can get a prediction of AAB, solid references and a good PS you should have a good chance.

That's really reassuring, thank you :smile:
That's really reassuring, thank you :smile:

Hopefully you feel less daunted than before. If you were to get interviewed you'd see what the professors are like there...two of the more senior ones are Dutch, and so laid-back they're practically lying down. If your overall application is promising, they will consider it on merit. I think the course is marginally more competitive than when I began it, but it's nothing compared to the competition for places to study English.

Where else are you applying, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 45
Original post by TurboCretin
Hopefully you feel less daunted than before. If you were to get interviewed you'd see what the professors are like there...two of the more senior ones are Dutch, and so laid-back they're practically lying down. If your overall application is promising, they will consider it on merit. I think the course is marginally more competitive than when I began it, but it's nothing compared to the competition for places to study English.

Where else are you applying, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm applying to King's (ABB), Manchester (AAB-BBB), QMUL (340 points) and Sheffield (AAB) in that order of preference (in terms of course and location). Do you think my chances are good for those? :smile:
I'm applying to King's (ABB), Manchester (AAB-BBB), QMUL (340 points) and Sheffield (AAB) in that order of preference (in terms of course and location). Do you think my chances are good for those? :smile:

I only applied to UCL and Manchester, as for the rest I couldn't tell you. UCL has the best linguistics department in the country as far as I'm concerned (yes, Cambridge included; they copied our prospectus and use our lecturers' textbooks), so I would have thought you would have at least as good a shot at the others. It does depend on their focus though. Most linguistics departments in the UK focus on language-specific stuff like "the linguistics of french" which was far too broad and flowery an approach for me. Nevertheless, these universities might prefer applicants with a foreign language at A-level. That is something they would stipulate on their prospectuses though.
Really? Great! What were your predictions? :smile:

They were AAB :smile:

I'd actually screwed up one of my History modules so my AS should of been ABCC, but whatever, I don't care now!
Reply 48
I know it's been a week since I last posted and thanks for the replies everyone, but just as a mention, I got my remarks back and I actually got AABC! I guess my chances have improved now!! :biggrin:
Original post by PJ991
Well fine, here's my anecdotal evidence. Got CCC at AS. Got predicted AAB. Got an offer from UCL last year of ABB (the course is now AAB as standard offer). Got AAB overall.

How did you get predicted 2 grades higher? I'm in a similar siutation for my chem and physics AS :colondollar:
Reply 50
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
How did you get predicted 2 grades higher? I'm in a similar siutation for my chem and physics AS :colondollar:

Well in one of them I was 1 UMS off a B which I supposed helped. I just told my teachers I'd work harder this year. They were quite nice about it and wanted people to get into good universities, and I had decent GCSEs which I'm sure influenced their decision even if only slightly.

Then the one I got predicted a B in was because I always did rubbish in our end of term tests etc. so they wouldn't predict an A. I doubt I'd have got one anyway even if I had the prediction/an offer to work towards.
Try getting good predictions, then apply, then resit.
Reply 52
Hey guys, im wondering what AS grades and predicitons people got who are on the UCL history v101 course?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending