The Student Room Group

Getting braces on the NHS if you're over 18

I’m with a NHS dentist.
I’m going to be 21 this year, so I don’t get free dental treatment anymore.
I want to have braces, but I’ve read on some sites that the NHS only give braces to people under 18 (who get free dental care) and that they don’t give them to anyone over 18.
Is this true? Would I have to go to a different dentist who was private, or would my NHS dentist give me braces that I’d be charged for?
I have an incorrect bite My 4 back bottom teeth do not met up properly with the top ones.
I noticed a couple of years ago that I’ve only ever chewed on the left side of my jaw, and I grind my teeth A LOT presumably because of my bite (especially when I’m concentrating, e.g. writing, reading, watching a programme, shaving my legs...basically, a lot of time, daily) both of which can lead to lots of problems and damage with my teeth, muscles, jaw and even face when I’m older.
I went to my NHS orthodontist when I was about 15 and he said they would need to pull 1 of my back lower teeth out and the braces would move the other 3 forwards and inwards so they fitted properly with my upper teeth.
Would needing them for these reasons affect what a NHS dentist would say?
I’m also a university student, does this affect the cost?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Schtar
I’m with a NHS dentist.
I want to have braces, but I’ve read on some sites that the NHS only give braces to people under 18 (who get free dental care) and that they don’t give them to anyone over 18.
Is this true? Would I have to go to a different dentist who was private, or would my NHS dentist give me braces that I’d be charged for?
I have an incorrect bite My 4 back bottom teeth do not met up properly with the top ones.
I noticed a couple of years ago that I’ve only ever chewed on the left side of my jaw, and I grind my teeth A LOT presumably because of my bite (especially when I’m concentrating, e.g. writing, reading, watching a programme, shaving my legs...basically, a lot of time, daily) both of which can lead to lots of problems and damage with my teeth, muscles, jaw and even face when I’m older.
I went to my NHS orthodontist when I was about 15 and he said they would need to pull 1 of my back lower teeth out and the braces would move the other 3 forwards and inwards so they fitted properly with my upper teeth.

There's not a way to do it for free unfortunately, if it's an imminent health risk the NHS will possibly do some things for free AFAIK, but this is considered by them more as cosmetic (check this: http://www.bos.org.uk/orthodonticsandyou/Information+for+Patients/whatwillitcost).

I'm in almost the same situation as you, saw a private practice at 15 then stupidly decided I didn't want teeth pulling and braces.

So now I'm just going to bite the bullet, go pay £4K for private, get my teeth 100% and look after them properly (Mine are pretty bad btw).

If you need any further thoughts just PM me, It's annoying but what can you do...
Reply 2
http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/nhs-dental-band-charges.aspx

I've just seen on the site above that you can get braces on the NHS for £204 (I guess that is for fitting the braces & they would charge me each time I went back to have them tightened, etc) BUT they only let people over 18 have braces for medical reasons, not cosmetic ones.
Would my incorrect bite count as a medical one or a cosmetic?
Reply 3
Hello everyone

I am a student looking for orthodontistry and was wondering how much is will roughly cost. Did you all end up having braces? If so, how much did they cost in the end? My teeth aren't too bad so i'm hoping this will reduce the cost but i'm sure this will diminish the possibility of getting treatment for free.
In addition, could you reccommend an orthodontist around the Kingston upon Thames/London area?
Thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
The cost of braces is almost as much as invisalign I believe, but correct me if I'm wrong. The only difference is that they are see-through so look no different.
Original post by Schtar
http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/nhs-dental-band-charges.aspx

I've just seen on the site above that you can get braces on the NHS for £204 (I guess that is for fitting the braces & they would charge me each time I went back to have them tightened, etc) BUT they only let people over 18 have braces for medical reasons, not cosmetic ones.
Would my incorrect bite count as a medical one or a cosmetic?

I'd be interested to know what counts as medical vs cosmetic reasons - I've sucked my thumb since I was a baby and it's definitely affected my teeth, my jaw also clicks out :redface:
Reply 6
Original post by Schtar
I’m with a NHS dentist.

I doubt they'll do it on the NHS unless you are actually experiencing pain or problems (and it sounds like you're not). Suonds like you're hoping you can get cosmetic surgery with a medical excuse - I had the same thing myself! Refused braces when I was a teenager and now getting them privately is expensive.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
I'd be interested to know what counts as medical vs cosmetic reasons - I've sucked my thumb since I was a baby and it's definitely affected my teeth, my jaw also clicks out :redface:

That would be cosmetic. (Unless you're in pain or there has been damage as a result)
Original post by ruthpotts
Hello everyone

I am a student looking for orthodontistry and was wondering how much is will roughly cost. Did you all end up having braces? If so, how much did they cost in the end? My teeth aren't too bad so i'm hoping this will reduce the cost but i'm sure this will diminish the possibility of getting treatment for free.
In addition, could you reccommend an orthodontist around the Kingston upon Thames/London area?
Thanks

the nhs will only give you braces if there is a medical not cosmetic need for them
the cost depends on the type of braces you have and the length of your treatment, and additionally things like having teeth removed, or broken brackets replaced.
costs could easily be £2000 or more but i would advise going to several places for a quote
Reply 9
What is the policy if you start before you are 18 but need the brace after you are 18?

I am on the waiting list atm and will be 18 next year. I am due to go to the orthodontist within the next couple of months and get a brace fitted however will this mean that when I am 18 I will have to pay for the continuation of my treatment?

Any info would be great :smile: cheers.
I've been offered braces each time I've visited the dentist this year. Given that I struggle to brush my teeth and always have done, I'm shocked that I've been offered them. Oh, and I have received a lecture about not being able to brush them properly.
Reply 11
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
What is the policy if you start before you are 18 but need the brace after you are 18?

I am on the waiting list atm and will be 18 next year. I am due to go to the orthodontist within the next couple of months and get a brace fitted however will this mean that when I am 18 I will have to pay for the continuation of my treatment?

As far as I know, if the braces are fitted before your 18th birthday, treatment is free for the duration.
Braces are only free for medical reasons- I had a friend whose teeth were a bit wonky and she had to pay about £1200 I believe

She was 16 at the time
Reply 13
Original post by crc290
As far as I know, if the braces are fitted before your 18th birthday, treatment is free for the duration.

Thanks a lot. I hope so!
Tbh I doubt I could afford £4000 whilst at uni!
Reply 14
Original post by mr_magic_man
Braces are only free for medical reasons- I had a friend whose teeth were a bit wonky and she had to pay about £1200 I believe

She was 16 at the time

She must have went to a private orthodontist because braces are free on the NHS for under-18s, whether they're on medical or cosmetic grounds. I'm 17 and mine are completely free yet my teeth have never caused me any pain or discomfort.
Reply 15

I can confirm what's been said above is correct. I started going to orthodontists when I was about 12 but they were awful, just delayed things and kept getting closed down. By the time I eventually landed with a good one who were ready to fit braces I was over 18. However, they counted this (add I had started visiting/getting consultations and having removals before 18 and it was through no fault of my own but the failure of NHS orthos) as starting under 18.

I am now 21, I will be 22 before I have my final free retainer check meeting with them. Had the braces off just before my 21st. So they definitely continue the full treatment even if you pass 18!

Xxx

posted from the TSR Android app
Original post by crc290

Yep - I got told two weeks before my 18th that I needed to go have them fitted if I wanted them, cos I wouldn't be able to have them after I turned 18, and stupidly I said no :rolleyes:
Reply 17
Original post by Anonymous
Yep - I got told two weeks before my 18th that I needed to go have them fitted if I wanted them, cos I wouldn't be able to have them after I turned 18, and stupidly I said no :rolleyes:

Aww man, too bad. I'm so glad I eventually got them before I turned 18! My old (private) dentist would not send me to an orthodontist no matter how much me or my parents asked. We switched to an NHS dentist (for unrelated reasons) and in the very first appointment I was told I would need braces and was referred to an orthodontist straight away. People criticise the NHS, but I must say their dentists do get the job done! :tongue:
Reply 18
Original post by kpwxx
I can confirm what's been said above is correct. I started going to orthodontists when I was about 12 but they were awful, just delayed things and kept getting closed down. By the time I eventually landed with a good one who were ready to fit braces I was over 18. However, they counted this (add I had started visiting/getting consultations and having removals before 18 and it was through no fault of my own but the failure of NHS orthos) as starting under 18.

I am now 21, I will be 22 before I have my final free retainer check meeting with them. Had the braces off just before my 21st. So they definitely continue the full treatment even if you pass 18!

Xxx

posted from the TSR Android app

Ah, thanks a lot :smile:

Same here, the last dentist I went to kept telling me I was on the waiting list and 3 years later I got an appointment with the ortho but there were delays and then I moved dentist because they kept making clerical errors in terms of appointments, and then I had to go on a new waiting list.... :facepalm: luckily my new dentist and ortho seem a lot better :smile:
Reply 19
Ah, thanks a lot :smile:

Same here, the last dentist I went to kept telling me I was on the waiting list and 3 years later I got an appointment with the ortho but there were delays and then I moved dentist because they kept making clerical errors in terms of appointments, and then I had to go on a new waiting list.... :facepalm: luckily my new dentist and ortho seem a lot better :smile:

Yeah, there are really good ones out there- but there are also ones who just want to sell you floss and brushes for as long as they can...

xxx

Latest