The Student Room Group

Sheffield Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Steerforth
Heya guys, I'm a reapplicant, (currently working as an HCA on my gap year and I was considering applying to Sheffield depending on how my UKCAT goes in a few weeks.

I was wondering how much importance Sheffield place on GCSE's, as mine are below average for medical applicants (A*A*A*AAAAABBB).

Also is the UKCAT the only thing they look at when deciding to give interviews? Do they look at work experience etc?

Thanks

If I'm not wrong, they take everything you put on your UCAS form into account (e.g. relavent work experience, grades, reference) If you've passed their criteria in those, they'll rank your applications by UKCAT scores and start interviewing from top down. Then they'll focus on individual sections such as work experience and extra curriculars during your interview.
Reply 21
Best of luck to all you 2012 Entry Applicants!!!!!
Reply 22
Just thought i'd get myself introduced :biggrin: ... Sheffield (fingers crossed) here we come :P
Reply 23
"For 2011 entry we received over 2,500 applications for 241 places with the majority of these meeting at least the minimum academic requirements. Many applications exceed the minimum required. As our selection procedure takes into account academic achievements applicants will be assessed on the results (achieved and/or predicted) of all their qualifications. Due to the competitive nature of applying for the course most candidates selected for interview usually far exceed our minimum requirements."

http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine/prospective_ug/applying/entryrequire.html
Reply 24
Just done the UKCAT:
VR - 670
QR - 760
AR - 750
DA - 800

Av - 745

I'm so relieved right now its ridiculous! For the people who are worring, AR and QR are a lot easier than any practice materials I've come across. VR is harder though, as I normally did very well in practices but not so good now! Strangely DA was my worst subsection last year :P

Good luck to everyone still to take it!

Guess I'll be applying to Sheffield after all!
Reply 25
hey, do any of you know if you can apply to sheffield without as or a2 biology? and what is the minimum they require for gcses and as grades? thanks!
Reply 26
Original post by rozca
hey, do any of you know if you can apply to sheffield without as or a2 biology? and what is the minimum they require for gcses and as grades? thanks!

Yes, you can apply to Sheffield without AS or A2 Biology.

"GCSE requirements

You must have GCSE passes, or their equivalent, at grade C or above in English, Mathematics and the Sciences (which may be dual awards). You should have at least six A grades in GCSE subjects.

Requirements for Candidates taking AS and GCE 'A' level curriculum

You should study four AS subjects, subjects must include Chemistry and another science subject. You should aim to achieve grades of A and three Bs in any of these subjects. Please note that the Medical School places more emphasis on GCSE and A2 level results than on AS levels. Thus, we are more flexible over our AS requirements than we are over our GCSE and A2 requirements.

Our offer for subjects taken at A level is AAA to include Chemistry and another science subject and it is expected that these will be taken in one sitting. The third A level can be in any other subject (General Studies is not acceptable).
"

See Here.
Reply 27
Original post by rozca

Two friends of mine didn't take biology and both got offers from Sheffield so you're fine on that front :smile:
Do people not think that the heavily inflated UKCAT cut-off was due as said above to a very large intake - due to the fee increases?

I'm not sure on the normal facts of how many normally apply - but would have thought applications would be up significantly due to the desire to go to university before the fee increase kicks in.

I'm thinking of applying instead of Imperial to reduce my BMAT risk, but want to know whether 715 will do?
Reply 29
Original post by kingcoltzan
Do people not think that the heavily inflated UKCAT cut-off was due as said above to a very large intake - due to the fee increases?

I'm not sure on the normal facts of how many normally apply - but would have thought applications would be up significantly due to the desire to go to university before the fee increase kicks in.

I'm thinking of applying instead of Imperial to reduce my BMAT risk, but want to know whether 715 will do?

Hey I kind of reckon I do agree with the fee increase bit :P

but also I know last year they were asked to interveiw less people which meant naturally they had to push up the UKCAT score threshold :smile:

pretty honestly i reckon you'll get an interview with that score. But don't take my word for it.

Good Luck!
Original post by Godin_D
Hey I kind of reckon I do agree with the fee increase bit :P

but also I know last year they were asked to interveiw less people which meant naturally they had to push up the UKCAT score threshold :smile:

pretty honestly i reckon you'll get an interview with that score. But don't take my word for it.

Good Luck!

Thanks for that.

I had read earlier about this interviewing less people - anyone know why? If this was a trial/one off? Any more info on this?
Reply 31
Can anyone please tell me if sheffield interview international applicants.Also I will be grateful if someone could confirm if they want a 4th AS subject or not..???
Reply 32
Original post by cute_wish
Can anyone please tell me if sheffield interview international applicants.Also I will be grateful if someone could confirm if they want a 4th AS subject or not..???

Yep. They interview international applicants. You'll get an email if they invite you for an interview. They have no specific entry requirements concerning a 4th AS Level Subject.
Reply 33
Original post by Vulpes
Yep. They interview international applicants. You'll get an email if they invite you for an interview. They have no specific entry requirements concerning a 4th AS Level Subject.

Thanks.Are you an international applicant? Do you think the UKCAT cut off score will be as high for int'ls as it is for UK applicants?
Reply 34
Thanks.Are you an international applicant? Do you think the UKCAT cut off score will be as high for int'ls as it is for UK applicants?

Yea I was an international applicant :tongue: Our cutoff is much lower than UK applicants but I still wouldn't advise applying with anything lower than 700. They do not publicize UKCAT cutoff scores for internationals.
Reply 35
Original post by Vulpes
Yea I was an international applicant :tongue: Our cutoff is much lower than UK applicants but I still wouldn't advise applying with anything lower than 700. They do not publicize UKCAT cutoff scores for internationals.

Ok so can you tell me what our UKCAT cut-off score normally is?You can pm me if you dont want to publicize that. Lol
Reply 36
Ok so can you tell me what our UKCAT cut-off score normally is?You can pm me if you dont want to publicize that. Lol

Lol. It's not me who doesn't want to publicize it. :tongue: Sheffield never told us what the international cutoff score was.
Reply 37
Original post by Vulpes
Lol. It's not me who doesn't want to publicize it. :tongue: Sheffield never told us what the international cutoff score was.

Ahh !! Then how can you predict that its much lower than that of UK applicants ?
Reply 38
Ahh !! Then how can you predict that its much lower than that of UK applicants ?

Cause I got lower than 717.5 :tongue:

Is Sheffield your first choice uni?
Reply 39
Original post by Vulpes
Cause I got lower than 717.5 :tongue:

Is Sheffield your first choice uni?

I see.What have you got this year ?
Nah ! Leeds is my 1st choice.what about you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending