The Student Room Group

Sheffield Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
Original post by Straight up G
I think I remember seeing September 24th on UCAS for the A100 course, and I think all courses would start at the same time? Not 100% but I think that's a Monday as well, so makes sense.

Anyways moving in weekend is 15/16th of Sept.

Freshersi 8 days long? :confused:
Original post by apple17
Freshersi 8 days long? :confused:

sat 15, sun 16 are moving in days
Monday to sunday 17-23 is freshers week
Monday 24, is the first day of week 1, which is the first week of study.

By my understanding anyway.
Reply 962
Original post by Straight up G
sat 15, sun 16 are moving in days
Monday to sunday 17-23 is freshers week
Monday 24, is the first day of week 1, which is the first week of study.

By my understanding anyway.

Oh sounds good (if I ever manage to make it in). :biggrin:
Reply 963
Original post by Moonkin
First year medic here. I know of people with similar or less A*s in my year. I felt similar to you when I was applying but I went for it and got in! It's more about how you do in your UKCAT and interview :smile:

Original post by lbavfc
I've just finished 1st year at sheffield and got 9A* and 3As but I think as long as you meet the requirements in the prospectus it should be fine. I know a lot of people in my year who didn't get as many A*. They look more at your UKCAT, personal statement and AS results. I think GCSE results are more of just a hoop you need to get through to get to the next stage of the application process :smile:

Thanks for your help! Hopefully I'll be okay then :tongue:
Reply 964
What do we actually need in terms of vaccinations and screening?
Reply 965
Original post by gpgill
What do we actually need in terms of vaccinations and screening?

I think (don't quote me on this) its Hep B, TB, MMR, chicken pox. POssibly a screen for HIV as well? Although you really don't need to worry about it, because whatever you need that you haven't had, you'll be able to get with occy health in Sheffield.
Original post by twelve
I think (don't quote me on this) its Hep B, TB, MMR, chicken pox. POssibly a screen for HIV as well? Although you really don't need to worry about it, because whatever you need that you haven't had, you'll be able to get with occy health in Sheffield.

Even after all the screening...it is most likely you'll still need to go into occy health to get them double checked. :rolleyes:
Reply 967
Original post by magichearts
Even after all the screening...it is most likely you'll still need to go into occy health to get them double checked. :rolleyes:

Thought that was only because we were international students. My doc at occy health didnt trust "medical reports from China" :sad:

via TSR Mobile App. Excuse any typos. =]
Original post by Vulpes
Thought that was only because we were international students. My doc at occy health didnt trust "medical reports from China" :sad:

via TSR Mobile App. Excuse any typos. =]

I have a British friend who had to get his tests all done again...but might be because he didn't do the right checks.
Reply 969
Guys, from reading this thread, I take it Sheffield is a friendly school to the international crowd?
Original post by xadmin
Guys, from reading this thread, I take it Sheffield is a friendly school to the international crowd?

Yes, very very friendly to the internationals :smile:
Reply 971
Awesome, I am an international and I plan to apply here for 2013.
Sorry to awake an old thread, but did anyone find their interview for medicine with foundation year to have that good cop/bad cop routine? Like two friendly interviewers, one...rather curt one? I had a panel like that on Jan 26th for A104 and got rejected, absolutely gutted when I got that email :frown:
Original post by KittenInfusion
Sorry to awake an old thread, but did anyone find their interview for medicine with foundation year to have that good cop/bad cop routine? Like two friendly interviewers, one...rather curt one? I had a panel like that on Jan 26th for A104 and got rejected, absolutely gutted when I got that email :frown:

I did the normal course not the foundation one, but apparently the interviews are basically the same give or take a question or two. Posted this a while back on the most embarassing interview moments thread so I just copied and pasted it for you. Sorry to hear about the rejection though :smile:

This Chinese doctor walked me from the waiting room to the interview room, and whilst he was walking me down he was being really nice and asking how the tour was etc. Then the interview starts, and first is a transplant surgeon asking me questions and he's really nice and encouraging. He said some of my answers were very good and I was thinking outside the box, and they were pretty standard questions as well tbh. Then it's the Chinese doctors turn and I think to myself "oh, this guy seemed really nice, I'll just ace his questions and then I'm in-jobs a good 'un". But he jumps straight in: "How would you persuade a fellow Muslim that the theory of evolution is correct? "Ermm.. scientific evidence and stuff...?" "Like what?" "Fossil records and genome comparisons" "And?" "Sorry, I don't know" "Hmm..ok, let's move on. You must have been asleep in your Biology lessons!" *nervous laugh* "Haha, yeah that's right" (I started laughing very hard at his joke which I didn't find funny) "Ok, so your friend has the answers for your medical final exam what would you do?" *Give an answer talking about integrity and professionalism yet compassion and love for my colleague, and how I would not look at the answers* "But reeallly?...Are you sure you wouldn't have a look?" "Yes, I definitely wouldn't" "Really? I'm sure if I was a medical student, I'd have a hard time not looking" "To be honest, in the situation I might be tempted to have a good look through the answers" "That's not very good is it?! What happened to honesty?"

Seriously, I think he found it funny to toy with me like that
Original post by areebmazhar
I did the normal course not the foundation one, but apparently the interviews are basically the same give or take a question or two. Posted this a while back on the most embarassing interview moments thread so I just copied and pasted it for you. Sorry to hear about the rejection though :smile:

This Chinese doctor walked me from the waiting room to the interview room, and whilst he was walking me down he was being really nice and asking how the tour was etc. Then the interview starts, and first is a transplant surgeon asking me questions and he's really nice and encouraging. He said some of my answers were very good and I was thinking outside the box, and they were pretty standard questions as well tbh. Then it's the Chinese doctors turn and I think to myself "oh, this guy seemed really nice, I'll just ace his questions and then I'm in-jobs a good 'un". But he jumps straight in: "How would you persuade a fellow Muslim that the theory of evolution is correct? "Ermm.. scientific evidence and stuff...?" "Like what?" "Fossil records and genome comparisons" "And?" "Sorry, I don't know" "Hmm..ok, let's move on. You must have been asleep in your Biology lessons!" *nervous laugh* "Haha, yeah that's right" (I started laughing very hard at his joke which I didn't find funny) "Ok, so your friend has the answers for your medical final exam what would you do?" *Give an answer talking about integrity and professionalism yet compassion and love for my colleague, and how I would not look at the answers* "But reeallly?...Are you sure you wouldn't have a look?" "Yes, I definitely wouldn't" "Really? I'm sure if I was a medical student, I'd have a hard time not looking" "To be honest, in the situation I might be tempted to have a good look through the answers" "That's not very good is it?! What happened to honesty?"

Seriously, I think he found it funny to toy with me like that

I think I know which interviewer you are talking about, but yes he likes pulling our legs. Think he nearly gave the majority of our year a heart attack literally 15 minutes before our OSCE exams. Thinks he enjoys seeing us panic. To be fair though, he's actually really nice and has some interesting jokes. But if I was in your position, I personally would've been sweating bullets. Seems like you handled it well though! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
I think I know which interviewer you are talking about, but yes he likes pulling our legs. Think he nearly gave the majority of our year a heart attack literally 15 minutes before our OSCE exams. Thinks he enjoys seeing us panic. To be fair though, he's actually really nice and has some interesting jokes. But if I was in your position, I personally would've been sweating bullets. Seems like you handled it well though! :biggrin:

Yeah thanks, I must have to get an offer! He did actually seem like a nice guy when he's not interviewing frightened med applicants. Do you know who Mr Raftery is btw?
Original post by areebmazhar
Yeah thanks, I must have to get an offer! He did actually seem like a nice guy when he's not interviewing frightened med applicants. Do you know who Mr Raftery is btw?

Yes I do. He examined me on my clinical skills. What about him?
Yes I do. He examined me on my clinical skills. What about him?

Just wondering. He was my other interviewer, really nice and he cracked some funny jokes whilst he was questioning me. Love your blog btw :biggrin:
Somehow fluked my way in... but I'm going away for a while pretty soon, is there anything that older years or more informed freshers than me can tell me that I'd need to be aware of while I'm gone? I've sorted my accommodation and await a reply from them, what else do I need to know, what else will happen between now and moving in weekend? I'll be back with a week to spare, to get all my shopping done in, but I don't want to come home to loads of letters and missed deadlines. I do plan on informing the uni that I'll be going.
Original post by gpgill
Does anyone know when the course with foundation year starts?

are you doing the foundation year too? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest