The Student Room Group

Sheffield Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Dr.Galaxy99
wow really! where did you apply?

Like I sent it 2 days ago Canadian time, it was on 6th midnight UK time and I got my acknowledgment an hour ago.I got a mini-heart attack when i saw the email on my phone. :colondollar:
I applied to KCL, HYMS, Sheff and Glasgow.
Where u planning to apply?
Original post by apple17
Like I sent it 2 days ago Canadian time, it was on 6th midnight UK time and I got my acknowledgment an hour ago.I got a mini-heart attack when i saw the email on my phone. :colondollar:
I applied to KCL, HYMS, Sheff and Glasgow.
Where u planning to apply?

Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield and HYMS :smile: Although I'm not sure about HYMS, they only have 10 places for overseas applicants :s-smilie: that freaked me out!
Reply 122
Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield and HYMS :smile: Although I'm not sure about HYMS, they only have 10 places for overseas applicants :s-smilie: that freaked me out!

I would say if ur ukcat is good like 690+ then apply to newcastle cuz they like ukcat, u will have a guaranteed interview and there are 25 intl spaces.
Original post by apple17
I would say if ur ukcat is good like 690+ then apply to newcastle cuz they like ukcat, u will have a guaranteed interview and there are 25 intl spaces.

yeah i got more than 690. i will consider Newcastle again, thanks for the advice :smile: hopefully will work on my application tomorrow and decide for definite!
Reply 124
yeah i got more than 690. i will consider Newcastle again, thanks for the advice :smile: hopefully will work on my application tomorrow and decide for definite!

You are welcome and good luck. :smile:
Keep me updated on ur sheffield app.
Original post by apple17
You are welcome and good luck. :smile:
Keep me updated on ur sheffield app.

i will :smile: good luck again :smile:
Reply 126
that's awesome! you got an offer!

i'm so sorry for all these questions :colondollar: but do you know how many overseas applicants they interviewed or how many offers they gave out?

i just don't want to apply to a uni with a very low post-interview success rate. like Cambridge for example.

I don't have any overseas statistics I'm afraid. Just a student, not an admissions officer :tongue:
Original post by Vulpes
I don't have any overseas statistics I'm afraid. Just a student, not an admissions officer :tongue:

lolllll ok :smile: just curious :P
that's awesome! you got an offer!

i'm so sorry for all these questions :colondollar: but do you know how many overseas applicants they interviewed or how many offers they gave out?

i just don't want to apply to a uni with a very low post-interview success rate. like Cambridge for example.

I don't know how many overseas applicants they interview...or give offers to. But I do know the Freshers year that just came in (Class of 2016) have 20 international students. The general rule I think is 7-8% of the total number of students in a class will be international students. So it really depends how many people they will be taking in for your cycle. Bigger the class - the more intl students they can accept.

So if they usually take about 20 international students per year...they will obviously make more offers than places. The question is - how many international students apply to Sheffield. That is a statistic I still haven't managed to get from the school. Maybe I will get it one day. Doubtful though. Haha.
Original post by magichearts
I don't know how many overseas applicants they interview...or give offers to. But I do know the Freshers year that just came in (Class of 2016) have 20 international students. The general rule I think is 7-8% of the total number of students in a class will be international students. So it really depends how many people they will be taking in for your cycle. Bigger the class - the more intl students they can accept.

So if they usually take about 20 international students per year...they will obviously make more offers than places. The question is - how many international students apply to Sheffield. That is a statistic I still haven't managed to get from the school. Maybe I will get it one day. Doubtful though. Haha.

thanks for the info :smile: :smile:
Reply 130
Looked at the Sheffield med school site and it now says they expect the UKCAT to be over the 2700 Mark. That's lower than the previous info they had as that said they expected the cut off to be around the 700 Mark. They have gone into more detail about what happens to your application after they have received it.
Original post by JessBess
Looked at the Sheffield med school site and it now says they expect the UKCAT to be over the 2700 Mark. That's lower than the previous info they had as that said they expected the cut off to be around the 700 Mark. They have gone into more detail about what happens to your application after they have received it.

So glad I applied now. I thought 707.5 would be too low. Gahh, just hope I get an interview!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 132
Original post by HeldAtNeedlepoint.
So glad I applied now. I thought 707.5 would be too low. Gahh, just hope I get an interview!

I am too. I just had the attitude it's where I want to go I would be silly to at least not try. My sister is there and loves it. :smile: fingers crossed :biggrin: good luck everyone.
Reply 133

This is awesome. Thanks for letting us know. :biggrin: Maybe they planned on interviewing more or w.e.
Is Sheffield a purely ukcat score oriented uni. So, u make the cutoff and ur invited for an interview cuz thats what the website suggests but not too sure. :redface:
where did u/plan to apply?
Reply 134
Original post by apple17
This is awesome. Thanks for letting us know. :biggrin: Maybe they planned on interviewing more or w.e.
Is Sheffield a purely ukcat score oriented uni. So, u make the cutoff and ur invited for an interview cuz thats what the website suggests but not too sure. :redface:

Well apparently the first thing they do is the academic screening, but since you just have to meet the minimum requirements (AAA, whatever the GCSR requirements are) most people will go through to the UKCAT screening to choose who to invite for interview, and thats where they decide the cutoff. So basically, yeah they are, but they'll say about the academic screening first if you ask them haha.
Reply 135
Original post by twelve
Well apparently the first thing they do is the academic screening, but since you just have to meet the minimum requirements (AAA, whatever the GCSR requirements are) most people will go through to the UKCAT screening to choose who to invite for interview, and thats where they decide the cutoff. So basically, yeah they are, but they'll say about the academic screening first if you ask them haha.

Thats what i thought. :wink:
Thanks for the help and an awesome blog, it helped my frd with the ukcat. :biggrin:
Reply 136
Original post by apple17

They score your academic stuff then they send it to someone else who scores your PS, they add the scores together then highest are then scored according to UKCAT and then invited for interview. My sister has sat on interview panel since third year, she is now in first year GP. She is not interviewing this year though.shame it's not like high school where if a sibling goes you have automatic entry :smile: have applied to Sheffield Leeds Newcastle and Birmingham. my sister got 4 offers, I don't feel confident about getting any :frown:
Reply 137
They score your academic stuff then they send it to someone else who scores your PS, they add the scores together then highest are then scored according to UKCAT and then invited for interview. My sister has sat on interview panel since third year, she is now in first year GP. She is not interviewing this year though.shame it's not like high school where if a sibling goes you have automatic entry :smile: have applied to Sheffield Leeds Newcastle and Birmingham. my sister got 4 offers, I don't feel confident about getting any :frown:

Oh thanks, so I guess its sorta like KCL where they look at the entire application. Haha, that would be awesome: u would be guaranteed to be a medic if they allowed u to go where ur sibling went. Oh, don't worry, I am sure you will get 4 offers by the end of the cycle, u have an excellent ukcat prob and great academics etc, why would any med school reject you? :biggrin:
Reply 138
Original post by apple17
Oh thanks, so I guess its sorta like KCL where they look at the entire application. Haha, that would be awesome: u would be guaranteed to be a medic if they allowed u to go where ur sibling went. Oh, don't worry, I am sure you will get 4 offers by the end of the cycle, u have an excellent ukcat prob and great academics etc, why would any med school reject you? :biggrin:

That kind of sounds like my mum lol:biggrin: :colondollar:
Reply 139
Just got my SECOND confirmation of application e-mail from sheffield medical school...anybody else got two??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending