The Student Room Group

University Course choice dilemma...

Hi,
I have just gone into sixth year, with 4 Highers and am doing a few more this year.
Last year I sat,

Higher English
Higher Maths
Higher History and Higher French

This year I am sitting -

Higher Biology
Higher Modern Studies
Higher Information Systems and a short course unit in Peer Mediation.

The reason why I am posting this thread is because I simply have no idea what I want to do when I leave school- apart from the fact that I want to go to University.

I first thought of doing something with History/Law/Politics/Economics, something along those lines, but I am still not sure.
This is mainly because although my best subject areas are the likes of History and the arts I continually feel as though they have very restricted opportunities and they do not have many career prospects available.

I will really appreciate anyone who can give any advice from past experience of studying an Arts degree, or someone who is considering or going to be studying this subject area this year at Uni, and what these types of subjects if studied at Uni could allow me pursue a career in.

Thanks, I know it is quite a long explanation.
Reply 1
Bump*
Original post by Brad22

Original post by Brad22
Hi,
I have just gone into sixth year, with 4 Highers and am doing a few more this year.
Last year I sat,

Higher English
Higher Maths
Higher History and Higher French

This year I am sitting -

Higher Biology
Higher Modern Studies
Higher Information Systems and a short course unit in Peer Mediation.

The reason why I am posting this thread is because I simply have no idea what I want to do when I leave school- apart from the fact that I want to go to University.

I first thought of doing something with History/Law/Politics/Economics, something along those lines, but I am still not sure.
This is mainly because although my best subject areas are the likes of History and the arts I continually feel as though they have very restricted opportunities and they do not have many career prospects available.

I will really appreciate anyone who can give any advice from past experience of studying an Arts degree, or someone who is considering or going to be studying this subject area this year at Uni, and what these types of subjects if studied at Uni could allow me pursue a career in.

Thanks, I know it is quite a long explanation.

Although I'm just starting Sixth Year, I'll give a reply! :P

What did you get in your Highers last year? Would it be enough to get you into uni or will you likely get a conditional on S6 courses?

What do you see yourself working as in 5, 10 years time, ideally? History has many career opportunities, its a respected degree and while a lot of people seem to think "all you can do is be a History teacher" this isn't true and you can go into any area. So maybe the best idea would be to go for a degree you'd enjoy? And then as it goes on you'll probably form a clearer idea of what you want to do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending