The Student Room Group

is honours important??

Dear everyone,
it's my first post here.

i got a prereg 2006/07 placement in one of the hospital in central london. I was really happy but one thing worries me is......if i got second lower honours, will i be still accepted? are there any hospitals in london or elsewhere require pharmacy students to get second upper or higher to get in?

Thanks very much...i will really appreciate every reply
I'm doing my pre reg 2006-07 in hospital too and have heard nothing saying that i have to get a certain type of degree, only that i have to pass. At the moment my average is around 58%. Hopefully i'll get that up to a 2:1 this year, but if i do end up with a 2:2, i don't think it has much effect.

PS: Judging by the vast amount of london hospitals still looking for pre-reg students in the clearing process, It looked like the high living costs in london meant they found it hard recruiting, so I wouldn't worry.
tom6173
Dear everyone,
it's my first post here.

i got a prereg 2006/07 placement in one of the hospital in central london. I was really happy but one thing worries me is......if i got second lower honours, will i be still accepted? are there any hospitals in london or elsewhere require pharmacy students to get second upper or higher to get in?

Thanks very much...i will really appreciate every reply

Where's your placement at? I'm at Lewisham for mine next year!

To add to what Jimmocrates said - I've never seen any of the pre-reg programmes require people to have a certain degree class - as long as you pass, then you're in.
Reply 3
Dear Jimmocrates and Kingspharm,

Thanks a lot for your reply, reallly really appreciate it. I'm at royal london hospital next year. They dint say anything regarding certain type of degree during the interview. So i am quite worried...who knows i might get very low class degree and end up jobless ...according to boots contract, students must get second lower or upper to get it....at the moment, i got 57% (third year)
anyways, thanks very much again for ur response!!
sounds like you're pretty much in the same position as me. Does your 4th year count 70% like ours? It seems weird how you do 3 years work whihc in all counts only 30%.
Reply 5
Oh no, second year 20%; third year 40%; fourth year 40%

i doubt i got second upper this year, cause i only got 57% (third year) and 64% (second year)

to be honest, i dont really like the working environment at royal london hospital....my friend got a place at moorfield eye hospital in central london (old street tube station)...oh, i love that place!! she apparently not yet signed the contract...

Jimmocrates: have u signed the hospital contract already?
Anyone knows the approximate allowance in central london?.

p/s: i hope i wont be regret choosing hospital as my placement...most of my friends got community eg mostly boots, lloyds, coop, etc etc

Thanks!
Yeah, I've signed the hospital contract. Loads of things still to do though. I need to get over to Bolton to get them to fill their bit of the RPSGBs documents and then send that off with the big fat £144 admin fee or wherever it goes to. I still need to have a medical whatever that involves.

I thought the extra allowance for london was about £3k, putting pay up to about £21.5k? not sure though.

Yeah, i'm glad i'm not going into community. I did a boots placement last summer and it was ultra dull. They gave me a pre-reg offer - £16k pay. £2.5k lower than hospital. As a big company, it just struck me as they were taking the piss. The pre-reg there last summer was just treating as an extra pair of hands and worked wherever they were short. I'd hate to have to do that for a whole year.
Reply 7
Is 70% a first, 60% a 2:1 and 50% a 2:2? I always get confused with this stuff.
Reply 8
Jimmocrates
Yeah, I've signed the hospital contract. Loads of things still to do though. I need to get over to Bolton to get them to fill their bit of the RPSGBs documents and then send that off with the big fat £144 admin fee or wherever it goes to. I still need to have a medical whatever that involves.

I thought the extra allowance for london was about £3k, putting pay up to about £21.5k? not sure though.

Yeah, i'm glad i'm not going into community. I did a boots placement last summer and it was ultra dull. They gave me a pre-reg offer - £16k pay. £2.5k lower than hospital. As a big company, it just struck me as they were taking the piss. The pre-reg there last summer was just treating as an extra pair of hands and worked wherever they were short. I'd hate to have to do that for a whole year.

Oh!! that's good! i dunno why they havent sent me the contract yet...dont tell me they forget about me!!! :s

yeah! i got that RPSGB blue form, need to go to get the signature and pay GBP144 (damn it!)
As for community, most of my coursemates moaning how boring their summer placement at boots, llyolds etc. they said they learned many things during the first month but it was so boring later on. lots of them had only 5-10 minutes lunch break, that's sux

did ur hospital contract state any certain degree to get in? Boots do have the terms! anyways, good luck in ur pre reg....i'll be having exams in 8 days,...so stressful now! u dont have any exams?

Xenon: i;m not sure ur uni, but here 70-100% is 1st class, 69-60 is 2:1 and 59-50 is 2:2.....but not sure 49-40%....is it third class??
Reply 9
tom6173

Xenon: i;m not sure ur uni, but here 70-100% is 1st class, 69-60 is 2:1 and 59-50 is 2:2.....but not sure 49-40%....is it third class??

I think it's just a plain old pass.
question to everyone:

How many people get a first at your universities?
im thinking of accepting offers from bath or manchester as firm choice.
Reply 11
Hi everyone
it's me again

In the letter of offer of post of prereg pharmacist, it says '' the offer is subject to you passing your final exams ''

The thing makes me worry now is I may need to resit one module. my graduation is on mid july and if i need to resit, it will be around mid june so that everyone can able to graduate on mid july.

if i failed one module, do u think the hospital (in london) will allow me to work there? In the letter, it says you ''need to pass your final exams.''

Thanks for advance
Reply 12
tom6173

Thanks a lot for your reply, reallly really appreciate it. I'm at royal london hospital next year. They dint say anything regarding certain type of degree during the interview. So i am quite worried...who knows i might get very low class degree and end up jobless ...according to boots contract, students must get second lower or upper to get it....at the moment, i got 57% (third year)

I'm in a similar position (in 3rd year). This course's project and next year are worth 60% for me.
Reply 13
wow...Xenon from ure previous posts ive undastand that u go2 LSOP, which is where im plannin to go next yr...so are u sayin that the fourth year counts towards 60% of your degree?? thats madness!! :redface:
tom6173

So Boots are asking for 1st, 2:1 or 2:2? Which is all you can get in an MPharm - to get a pass in the final year, you need to get 2:2 (i.e. 50%) or above - anything less (i.e. 3rd) is a fail.

Basically, as long as you pass your exams (get over 50%) and graduate before the start date for your job offer, then you should be OK.

You're lucky that you can retake in June! We don't have resits for the fourth year - if we fail any modules, we have to go back next year and do it all again. :frown:
Reply 15
I think that that's similar to us. We can't retake in the 4th year. :frown:
Kingspharm
So Boots are asking for 1st, 2:1 or 2:2? Which is all you can get in an MPharm - to get a pass in the final year, you need to get 2:2 (i.e. 50%) or above - anything less (i.e. 3rd) is a fail.

Basically, as long as you pass your exams (get over 50%) and graduate before the start date for your job offer, then you should be OK.

You're lucky that you can retake in June! We don't have resits for the fourth year - if we fail any modules, we have to go back next year and do it all again. :frown:

Pass mark in fourth year for us is still 40%, except for the professional exams which have a pass mark of 60% (Law, dispensing and extemporaneous prep. in 3rd year), but the mark from those doesn't count towards the degree classification, you just HAVE to pass them. And you don't get charged £50 to resit, unlike the other exams.

Retakes for modules whihc aren't professional ones are in June and cost £50, it completely screws up yoru pre-reg plans though if you have to resit one.
Ouch! We don't usually get charged for retakes, it's just a PITA and the retake exams are much harder than the May/June ones.

I guess your lower passmark must be due to how your final degree classification is weighted? Ours is 10/20/30/40 across the four years. Can you actual get a 3rd class MPharm there?
Yep, 3rd is a distinct possibility. I don't know anybody who is expecting to get one though.

Last exam for me today!Woo
Strange! We can't even get thirds - minimum is a 2:2 so if you fall below 50% then you have to retake until you reach that level!

Our exams finished weeks ago - results due in a couple of weeks. Good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending