The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
moonscape
the first question was the hardest! i was expecting something easy to start off and it completely threw me! what did you lot put for the sub unit of polyssacharide, glucos or monosacharide? i had no idea what the question was talking about:frown:
Polysaccharides are synthesised from monosaccharides. It wouldn't be glucose, unless they were talking about starch, glycogen or cellulose.
Reply 21
Test was OK although I made some mistakes on the first bit and got 14% or something for the CHD question I STUPIDLY times by 1000 instead of 100! I got 4 for the next one thou !
Reply 22
all of the calculations and long questions were easy, i just can't do 2 marks questions and there was so many of them.

--------------

jalapeno
Polysaccharides are synthesised from monosaccharides. It wouldn't be glucose, unless they were talking about starch, glycogen or cellulose.

thanks, phew i got that right then, but for the lipid one, i stupidly enough put down fatty acid and glycogen instead of glycerol, i mean, it's like a gcse question :redface: .
Reply 23
what did you guys put for the answer for the question asking for a medical test which could be taken for a couple having a child. I first put down aminiocentesis, but then thought that the couple still are thinking of having a child so they cant have reproduced. So i crossed it out and but down genetic screen which can tell you if you are carriers. What did you guys put?

--------------

thanks, phew i got that right then, but for the lipid one, i stupidly enough put down fatty acid and glycogen instead of glycerol, i mean, it's like a gcse question :redface: .

i put down 2 fatty acid, gylcerol and a phosphate group cause in the example it said Phospholipid...is this incorrect?
Reply 24
aminiocentesis is a type of genetic screening though, does it matter if you spelled it wrong? would they still give you the mark?
Reply 25
moonscape
aminiocentesis is a type of genetic screening though, does it matter if you spelled it wrong? would they still give you the mark?

ermm..i guess they will still give the mark as long as it sounds like aminiocentesis.

what im thinking is that amniocentesis can only occur if the couple have reproduced, as it involves taken cells from the amniotic fluid.... but the couple actaully are deciding whether to have the child, so does that mean they want a test to see the outcome of the child becoming a sufferur? Hence from the results they can have a child.

Im confused...im not saying that amniocentesis is wrong, i just wanna know what they mean. There were many questions in the paper which was vague and could mean loads of stuff.

What do you think the grade boundaries will be on this paper?
Reply 26
Fenil
ermm..i guess they will still give the mark as long as it sounds like aminiocentesis.

what im thinking is that amniocentesis can only occur if the couple have reproduced, as it involves taken cells from the amniotic fluid.... but the couple actaully are deciding whether to have the child, so does that mean they want a test to see the outcome of the child becoming a sufferur?

Im confused...im not saying that amniocentesis is wrong, i just wanna know what they mean. There were many questions in the paper which was vague and could mean loads of stuff.

i totally agree with the vague questions! sometime you just don't have a clue about what they are asking. but for that question there was no other possible answers other than aminiocentesis or chorionic villus sampling as we knew the parents were already carriers, so i guess they meant testing the pre-born child.
Reply 27
moonscape
i totally agree with the vague questions! sometime you just don't have a clue about what they are asking. but for that question there was no other possible answers other than aminiocentesis or chorionic villus sampling as we knew the parents were already carriers, so i guess they meant testing the pre-born child.

thats deep, i actaully wrote aminiocentesis then crossed it out. :frown:
What do reckon the grade boundaries are?
Reply 28
Fenil

i hope the are as low as possible, i totally messed up my paper :mad: !
Reply 29
moonscape
i hope the are as low as possible, i totally messed up my paper :mad: !

which parts did u find hard?
Reply 30
Fenil
which parts did u find hard?

not necessarily hard, i just felt i made lots of silly little mistakes and interpreted many questions wrong, and i lost all the marks on the last page because i never even heard of germ line and somatic gene therapy. what about you?
Reply 31
moonscape
not necessarily hard, i just felt i made lots of silly little mistakes and interpreted many questions wrong, and i lost all the marks on the last page because i never even heard of germ line and somatic gene therapy. what about you?

preety much th same, i also felt i made several silly mistakes and am annoyed because of this. But i guess whats done is done and its best to forget about it. Im gonna start revising for my ICT exam on friday....
Reply 32
Fenil
preety much th same, i also felt i made several silly mistakes and am annoyed because of this. But i guess whats done is done and its best to forget about it. Im gonna start revising for my ICT exam on friday....

oo, you are lucky! i got my chemistry tomorrow and i am really not in a revising mood :redface: , plz shoot me now.
Reply 33
lol.... nah dnt worry u'll do fine....i got my chem exam on the 18th...GOOD LUCk :smile: for chem tommorw
Fenil

Same here. Very silly question. I was reading it and I was like wtf is there 'what medical testing can the parents have if there CONSIDERING having a child' not that they've already had the child and considering wheteher to abort it. Oh well. I put aminicentesis then put pre-implantation genetic diagnosis and IVF :confused:
Reply 35
Candy_Shop
Same here. Very silly question. I was reading it and I was like wtf is there 'what medical testing can the parents have if there CONSIDERING having a child' not that they've already had the child and considering wheteher to abort it. Oh well. I put aminicentesis then put pre-implantation genetic diagnosis and IVF :confused:

Thats kind of what went through my mind as well - eventually I put that they could test individual egg cells to make sure they had one with the normal gene which they could then use.
Reply 36
I put CVS for that one (Chronionic Villus Sampling) or I think it could have been Amniocentisis (or however you spell it!)
Reply 37
WantA*
I put CVS for that one (Chronionic Villus Sampling) or I think it could have been Amniocentisis (or however you spell it!)

But thats the problem - the question was specifically worded 'for a couple CONSIDERING having a child'. Neither of them can be carried out until a child has been conceived (and has been growing for at least about 9 weeks)
staylor
But thats the problem - the question was specifically worded 'for a couple CONSIDERING having a child'. Neither of them can be carried out until a child has been conceived (and has been growing for at least about 9 weeks)

But I bet the answer was Amniocentesis or Chorionic Villus Sampling :rolleyes: . Oh well.
Reply 39
Candy_Shop
But I bet the answer was Amniocentesis or Chorionic Villus Sampling :rolleyes: . Oh well.

Yeah - probably. It wouldnt be the first badly worded question with SNAB.

Latest

Trending

Trending