The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

pratikv
Well, they can. You'll obviously get some marks if you get the right answer, but sometimes you may not get all of the method marks if they ask you to do it in a certain way. Also, even if you do get the right answer, you won't be awarded full marks if the examiner can't understand your methodology, as they may suspect that you copied. I agree that maths does have less room for manouveure when marking than something like English, but it still isn't absolutely clear cut when you reach degree level.

True, but presumably you can ask your tutor to show you exactly the right method to use, (in which case you have a case for argument if you do it that way and don't get the marks) but you can't ask your tutor exactly what to write in your essay.
Reply 21
Unless you are excellent at a subject it is difficult to get a first. It is easier in science based subjects than arts based, but overall science based courses still generally require far more work. In certain subjects (politics, history etc.) it is almost impossible not to get a 2:1.
Special
Unless you are excellent at a subject it is difficult to get a first. It is easier in science based subjects than arts based, but overall science based courses still generally require far more work. In certain arts subjects (politics, history etc.) it is almost impossible not to get a 2:1.

Gross overgeneralisation. No, actually, complete myth which needs to be dispelled ASAP.
susiemakemeblue
True, but presumably you can ask your tutor to show you exactly the right method to use, (in which case you have a case for argument if you do it that way and don't get the marks) but you can't ask your tutor exactly what to write in your essay.

Well, no. At university level you learn to understand the 'tools' you would use to try and solve questions, and how to try and attack different problems, so problems that come up in exams may well be unfamiliar to what you've done before and you need to apply your knowlegde of tackling problems to solve it. It's not the same as doing GCSE/A-Level maths where there are about 8 different types of the questions that come up on papers, which are always very similar/exactly the same to the examples that you've done a thousand times in class.
Reply 24
Special
Unless you are excellent at a subject it is difficult to get a first. It is easier in science based subjects than arts based, but overall science based courses still generally require far more work. In certain subjects (politics, history etc.) it is almost impossible not to get a 2:1.

Utter rubbish, mate.
pratikv
Well, no. At university level you learn to understand the 'tools' you would use to try and solve questions, and how to try and attack different problems, so problems that come up in exams may well be unfamiliar to what you've done before and you need to apply your knowlegde of tackling problems to solve it. It's not the same as doing GCSE/A-Level maths where there are about 8 different types of the questions that come up on papers, which are always very similar/exactly the same to the examples that you've done a thousand times in class.

But there is a method, no? :rolleyes:

Which gives you an advantage to begin with. Doing English at degree level is not the same as doing it at A-level either. But we don't get a method. We're just told to answer the question, and then they tell us afterwards why it was all wrong. And then they give us a different question. Repeat as needed.
Reply 26
Statistics show that far more people get below 2:1s in science subjects. Not only that, there are far more lectures, classes etc. for science subjects, and as a general rule a greater number of exams.
susiemakemeblue
But there is a method, no? :rolleyes:

Which gives you an advantage to begin with. Doing English at degree level is not the same as doing it at A-level either. But we don't get a method. We're just told to answer the question, and then they tell us afterwards why it was all wrong. And then they give us a different question. Repeat as needed.

No, there are ideas for how to tackle something, not a firm method. In that sense, I don't think that English or other essay subjects are that different to Maths in the fact that you're not given a method but have ideas. When you're tackling a problem in exams, you have to make sure that your deductions from one step to the next are logical so that someone reading it can understand what you're doing. I
pratikv
No, there are ideas for how to tackle something, not a firm method. In that sense, I don't think that English or other essay subjects are that different to Maths in the fact that you're not given a method but have ideas. When you're tackling a problem in exams, you have to make sure that your deductions from one step to the next are logical so that someone reading it can understand what you're doing. I

I see your point, but I still think you're given a bit more of an idea about what you're actually supposed to do.
susiemakemeblue
I see your point, but I still think you're given a bit more of an idea about what you're actually supposed to do.

Yeah, we probably are given more of an idea, but I was just trying to make the point that it isn't all so clear cut when you get to university level. :smile:
Special
Statistics show that far more people get below 2:1s in science subjects. Not only that, there are far more lectures, classes etc. for science subjects, and as a general rule a greater number of exams.

I take it you haven't read the whole thread then...

It's easier to fail a science subject, but also easier to get a first. It's ridiculously hard to get a first in an essay subject.

More classes means more tuition. Fewer classes means more private study and independent research, which is arguably harder and takes a great deal more self-discipline. Furthermore, just because science students have more classes does not mean they go to them all or do anything in them. People on my course tend to go to all their classes because it would be degree-suicide not to. Whereas people I know doing science courses skip loads of classes (either because they can't be bothered or because they say they don't need to go) and turn up to half their nine o'clocks still pissed.

--------------

pratikv
Yeah, we probably are given more of an idea, but I was just trying to make the point that it isn't all so clear cut when you get to university level. :smile:

Don't worry, I see where you're coming from and completely agree with you! But when I got my first assignment I was just like, "Oh my god......where do I even begin?????"
susiemakemeblue
I take it you haven't read the whole thread then...

It's easier to fail a science subject, but also easier to get a first. It's ridiculously hard to get a first in an essay subject.

More classes means more tuition. Fewer classes means more private study and independent research, which is arguably harder and takes a great deal more self-discipline. Furthermore, just because science students have more classes does not mean they go to them all or do anything in them. People on my course tend to go to all their classes because it would be degree-suicide not to. Whereas people I know doing science courses skip loads of classes (either because they can't be bothered or because they say they don't need to go) and turn up to half their nine o'clocks still pissed.

--------------

Don't worry, I see where you're coming from and completely agree with you! But when I got my first assignment I was just like, "Oh my god......where do I even begin?????"

I think that's a fair description of the differences between science students and student who do essay subjects. Still, I only have 10 or 12 hours of lectures a week, ehich I think isn't very many, but you're right - I can skip classes without huge repercussions to my learning whilst my friends who are Historians, etc would never do that.

Also, I sometimes feel the same when I get a piece of work - it's very difficult when I'm sitting there thinking 'I don't know what that means, or that, or that....it's all Greek to me' (which in fairness half of it is). :p:
alexanderw
A solution is supposed to have something they call elegance.

Elegance in your solution is more easily achieved when you have a good idea of what you're actually doing. :wink:
I got a 1:1 for last year and fingers crossed will manage it overall.

Im a law student, and I have worked so so hard - 40 hours a week on top of lectures and seminars, plus 20 hours a week at my waitressing job.

Im hoping it will be worth it in the end :smile:
ellewoods

Im a law student, and I have worked so so hard - 40 hours a week on top of lectures and seminars, plus 20 hours a week at my waitressing job.

Bloody hell that's a lot of work - I wish I was as dedicated as you. You deserve to get a first if you're working that hard.
ellewoods

Wow, how many contact hours do you have?

See, this is how much work I should be doing. I need to be like you and work harder in 2006! Didn't do too badly in the first term, but if I worked as hard as you obviously do I could achieve a lot more! Well done.
susiemakemeblue
Fewer classes means more private study and independent research, which is arguably harder and takes a great deal more self-discipline."

Not necessarily true that arts students have more independent study to do...this depends a lot on the univeristy. I do Natural Sciences at Cambridge and we have loads of lectures etc (In the first year for example we had 12 hours of lectures, 15 hours of practical and 4 hours of supervisions a week) PLUS loads of independent reading etc to do, 4 essays to write a week etc....and we had 3 lectures on a Saturday morning....beat that! Takes a fair bit of self discipline to get up for a Maths lecture at 9am on a Saturday morning...
susiemakemeblue
Wow, how many contact hours do you have?

See, this is how much work I should be doing. I need to be like you and work harder in 2006! Didn't do too badly in the first term, but if I worked as hard as you obviously do I could achieve a lot more! Well done.

Ah thankyou :smile:

I only have 8 contact hours this term though. (Im doing a dissertation so I just make appointments to see my supervisor as and when I feel I need them on top of this time)

Admittedly I plan to cut my paid work down to about 17hours next semester as its my final semester. But as long as Im consistant and organised its not been unmanageable.

I just want to do well ... Iv got a training contract and they require a 2:1, but I would love to graduate with a 1:1.
tiggerishon
Not necessarily true that arts students have more independent study to do...this depends a lot on the univeristy. I do Natural Sciences at Cambridge and we have loads of lectures etc (In the first year for example we had 12 hours of lectures, 15 hours of practical and 4 hours of supervisions a week) PLUS loads of independent reading etc to do, 4 essays to write a week etc....and we had 3 lectures on a Saturday morning....beat that! Takes a fair bit of self discipline to get up for a Maths lecture at 9am on a Saturday morning...

Not as much discipline as it takes to get up at 9am on a Saturday and do independent study. If you were expected to doa minimum of 34 hours per week of private study on top of all your classes, that would be a 60 hour week. So unless that's true, I think arts students DO have more independent study to do. :p:

--------------

ellewoods
Ah thankyou :smile:

I only have 8 contact hours this term though. (Im doing a dissertation so I just make appointments to see my supervisor as and when I feel I need them on top of this time)

Admittedly I plan to cut my paid work down to about 17hours next semester as its my final semester. But as long as Im consistant and organised its not been unmanageable.

I just want to do well ... Iv got a training contract and they require a 2:1, but I would love to graduate with a 1:1.

I've read a lot of your posts in the law subforum, as it's something I'm considering going into later, and I have to say, I really admire your determination. There's all these people making threads like, "OMG, I've just been rejected by Oxford! How am I ever going to make it in the legal profession now??" and you just get on with it and show everyone that it can be done. I hope you get your first.
alexanderw
on the contrary! o.O elegance is usually pulled out of thin air. the only people who can make elegant solutions are the ones who look at a hexagon and think "if i pair up every prime number with the root of an integer then a rotation around each vertice can be seen as the blah blah blah."

Oh, I wish I was an elegant person!

But I'm not...

Boo. :frown:

--------------

alexanderw
in fairness, cambridge natscis probably do do 34 hours on top of their contact time.

I'll take your word for it... :confused:

But there aren't enough hours in the day. When do they eat?

Latest

Trending

Trending