The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

1. Do I enter my AS results as a separe qualification if I am continuing the subject on to A2? Would the AS qualification state my AS result and then my whole A level result be 'pending'?

2. In Economics I achieved an A but I am re-sitting. I have to re-sit both exams as the exam board is CIE. Do I enter the subject twice, one with the result as an A and the other as 'pending'? If so, should I enter the subject twice in the whole a level qualification section?

I have researched this on the internet but the responses have been different from that of my school so I would really appreciate some more views.

Thanks
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Undisclosed 15
x

1. Yes to all.
2. What's the point of resitting if you got an A? It won't help you get an A* at A2 because you need 90% in A2 regardless of what you score is at AS as long as you get a B.
(edited 9 years ago)
1. Do I enter my AS results as a separe qualification if I am continuing the subject on to A2? Would the AS qualification state my AS result and then my whole A level result be 'pending'?

2. In Economics I achieved an A but I am re-sitting. I have to re-sit both exams as the exam board is CIE. Do I enter the subject twice, one with the result as an A and the other as 'pending'? If so, should I enter the subject twice in the whole a level qualification section?

I have researched this on the internet but the responses have been different from that of my school so I would really appreciate some more views.

Thanks
Posted from TSR Mobile
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1744719 explains this best. Essentially yes you put down your AS results, your current A level results and any A level results you're resitting all as distinct qualifications.
Original post by Pectorac
1. Yes to all.
2. What's the point of resitting if you got an A? It won't help you get an A* at A2 because you need 90% in A2 regardless of what you score is at AS as long as you get a B.

With CIE the rules are different to every other exam board. You need 90% over the whole A Level and an A in every paper. I got a B in one paper, so without re-sitting, it is impossible for me to get an A*.

Do you know a trusted website where I can find this information? I am not questioning your advice. I just need something to present to my teacher as I cant really say 'I think your wrong because a stranger on TSR said so'. I cant find anything on the ucas website.

Thanks for your advice anyway
Original post by PQ
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1744719 explains this best. Essentially yes you put down your AS results, your current A level results and any A level results you're resitting all as distinct qualifications.

I read the OP before I posted but I still wasnt 100% sure. I dont have my A level results as I am taking the A2 exams in the summer swo I should enter them as pending, correct?
Original post by Teddysmith123
Hi I spoke to ucas about a similar problem and they told me that if you've completed your a level just put your A2 grade and only put the AS grade of the subject you dropped

Posted from TSR Mobile

That contradicts their very clear guidance on their website which is linked in the OP.

Did you take the name of the member of staff that gave you this advice?

I read the OP before I posted but I still wasnt 100% sure. I dont have my A level results as I am taking the A2 exams in the summer swo I should enter them as pending, correct?

Let me clarify:

You have your AS result yes? That gets entered as it stands. Attach your AS modules and achieved grades to this.

Are you resitting AS modules this summer alongside your A2 modules?

If so enter the A level as pending and add in the modules you're sitting this summer as pending. This will make it clear to your universities that you're resitting modules so that an A* grade is possible.
Original post by PQ
That contradicts their very clear guidance on their website which is linked in the OP.

Did you take the name of the member of staff that gave you this advice?

Let me clarify:

You have your AS result yes? That gets entered as it stands. Attach your AS modules and achieved grades to this.

Are you resitting AS modules this summer alongside your A2 modules?

If so enter the A level as pending and add in the modules you're sitting this summer as pending. This will make it clear to your universities that you're resitting modules so that an A* grade is possible.

Hi I asked the question on their facebook page and that was the advice I was given

Is this not correct because I retook a unit in my A2 year and I have my grade for that subject overall so I just put the overall grade and only entered the AS that I dropped????
:confused:

(edited 9 years ago)
Hi I asked the question on their facebook page and that was the advice I was given

Is this not correct because I retook a unit in my A2 year and I have my grade for that subject overall so I just put the overall grade and only entered the AS that I dropped????
:confused:

It depends on your school policy but Q4 here: http://mob.ucas.com/blogs/entering-levels-and-levels-your-ucas-application-0 states that if certified at AS you should enter all of your AS grades.

All state schools in the UK certify AS as standard so unless you're in one of the few private schools that only certify AS results at the end of Yr 13 (generally if your results slip had only module grades/UMS on it an no overall grade then that means it wasn't certified - if you had an overall grade then you need to enter those as qualifications)

Edit: I'm afraid that UCAS quite often give different answers to the same question on FB/Twitter/Phone - they have some very experienced staff but also a whole bunch of people who are new or in training who seem to think giving an answer (even if wrong) is better than checking with their boss:frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by PQ
It depends on your school policy but Q4 here: http://mob.ucas.com/blogs/entering-levels-and-levels-your-ucas-application-0 states that if certified at AS you should enter all of your AS grades.

All state schools in the UK certify AS as standard so unless you're in one of the few private schools that only certify AS results at the end of Yr 13 (generally if your results slip had only module grades/UMS on it an no overall grade then that means it wasn't certified - if you had an overall grade then you need to enter those as qualifications)

Edit: I'm afraid that UCAS quite often give different answers to the same question on FB/Twitter/Phone - they have some very experienced staff but also a whole bunch of people who are new or in training who seem to think giving an answer (even if wrong) is better than checking with their boss:frown:

Hi thanks for clearing that up so should I put in all of my AS grades? My original english lit grade at AS was a B but I retook the exam and got an A which would give me an A at AS overall so even though I've finished the A level should I enter under AS grades english lit in twice with two different grades?

Edit: I've finished my a levels and am on a gap year if that changes anything

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi thanks for clearing that up so should I put in all of my AS grades? My original english lit grade at AS was a B but I retook the exam and got an A which would give me an A at AS overall so even though I've finished the A level should I enter under AS grades english lit in twice with two different grades?

Edit: I've finished my a levels and am on a gap year if that changes anything

Posted from TSR Mobile

That will depend on whether your exam centre used the AS resit to recertify the AS and to count towards your A level or whether they used the resit just against your A level result.

If you can contact your exams officer to find out.

If they DID recertify your AS then you would have to enter the AS twice with 2 different years and 2 different grades.

UCAS present results to universities from the most recent backwards so they'll see the higher grade first :smile:
Original post by PQ
That will depend on whether your exam centre used the AS resit to recertify the AS and to count towards your A level or whether they used the resit just against your A level result.

If you can contact your exams officer to find out.

If they DID recertify your AS then you would have to enter the AS twice with 2 different years and 2 different grades.

UCAS present results to universities from the most recent backwards so they'll see the higher grade first :smile:

It did count towards my a level grade ao does that mean its been recertified?

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1412625

i dont understand the thread here says that if youve already done the A2 than just mention the A2 you dont have to mention the AS aswell.
Original post by nmjasdk
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1412625

i dont understand the thread here says that if youve already done the A2 than just mention the A2 you dont have to mention the AS aswell.

In 2010 (which is when that thread is from) certification of AS levels was less consistent across schools and UCAS advice was less explicit.

This is no longer the case. Almost every school certifies AS and A levels now and UCAS state clearly that your AS results should be listed in their own right if they are certified.
Hi,
I just wanted to clarify something so I have 4 AS-levels in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics in which I received AAAB. So I understand I put this under the AS section and then put the 3 A-Levels I am taking Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry as pending. However if I decide to retake one or two AS modules from the subjects I am pending do I need to state that somewhere or is it not required because the A-Level is as pending? Also, I am planning on retaking AS physics so do I list that again as pending? I was wondering when UCAS matches our grades with the examining bodies and sends our results to our universities do they only receive the results for all the examinations we will be taking in 2015?
Reply 2634
1. If you decide to declare individual module grades, should it be done for all subjects?
2. When you re-enter an AS qual on UCAS because you're resitting some modules, do you have to indicate which modules they are?
Reply 2635
Hi I spoke to ucas about a similar problem and they told me that if you've completed your a level just put your A2 grade and only put the AS grade of the subject you dropped

Posted from TSR Mobile
As PQ has already said, this is nonsense. Sigh.

Original post by adorablegirl1202
Hi,
I just wanted to clarify something so I have 4 AS-levels in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics in which I received AAAB. So I understand I put this under the AS section and then put the 3 A-Levels I am taking Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry as pending. However if I decide to retake one or two AS modules from the subjects I am pending do I need to state that somewhere or is it not required because the A-Level is as pending? Also, I am planning on retaking AS physics so do I list that again as pending? I was wondering when UCAS matches our grades with the examining bodies and sends our results to our universities do they only receive the results for all the examinations we will be taking in 2015?
You do need to re-enter the AS levels as pending if you are resitting any of the modules. The unis will see results obtained in previous years if they are contributing to qualifications awarded in 2015.

Original post by FN510
1. If you decide to declare individual module grades, should it be done for all subjects?
2. When you re-enter an AS qual on UCAS because you're resitting some modules, do you have to indicate which modules they are?
(1) Always declare everything. (2) You should enter the module descriptions and only enter the module grades for the ones you are not resitting.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi, I got B,C,D,U at AS which was a disaster. I am retaking 5 AS papers this summer with the A2s. Do you think its too many? Also, I have decided based on my grades not to apply to universities but to
wait for the A2 result. If the results come through with A, B, B then I will go through clearing. What does everyone else think? Am I doing the right thing?
I took my Chinese GCSE at an external exam centre, which is different to my school. How do I declare this? I could just add the centre but it ask for when I started attending the school and when I finished, when I have never studied there? Help...
Reply 2638
Original post by chatty
Hi, I got B,C,D,U at AS which was a disaster. I am retaking 5 AS papers this summer with the A2s. Do you think its too many? Also, I have decided based on my grades not to apply to universities but to
wait for the A2 result. If the results come through with A, B, B then I will go through clearing. What does everyone else think? Am I doing the right thing?
Yes, I think you probably are doing the right thing in postponing your application at this stage. You would be able to go through Clearing 2015 whatever grades you get, though the problem with that will be that you will have to have submitted an application through UCAS, and you won't want to be doing that on Results Day. You would be better placed to wait until July and then put in your application so that it's all ready to go when your results are to hand. You wouldn't have to apply for anything if you didn't want to. All of that said, you might well be much better off simply applying for 2016 as a post-A level applicant; this way you would have a full choice and be able to make some considered rather than hurried decisions.

You have set yourself quite a challenge with all those resits, and you might be well advised to think about how far the work required for them will distract you from the A2 work.

Original post by KongShou
I took my Chinese GCSE at an external exam centre, which is different to my school. How do I declare this? I could just add the centre but it ask for when I started attending the school and when I finished, when I have never studied there? Help...
You should add the centre, show your attendance as starting and finishing on the day you took the exam, and your attendance as part time. Then you should be able to enter the GCSE.
I am very confused about what I'm supposed to do here. I did Maths and Further Maths in year 12 (last year), and got an A overall in the subject of "Maths". So then this year I do the Further Maths A2. However, I did an extra module (so seven instead of six) and I don't think they have been "cashed in" yet. How should I go about entering all of this? What's more, I'm retaking C3 and 4, so do I need to mention that somehow? Thanks.

Latest

Trending

Trending