The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Thank you!

So, for the GCE Advanced qualifications, do you think I should just put pending for all the six modules? Even the AS ones that I have grades for and won't be re-taking?
sorry if this wasn't the right area of the forum for this, I couldn't find the right place to put it.

Basically I'm really confused about grades on UCAS. I have entered all the subjects I'll be doing at A2 as Advance GCE with the result pending. My confusion comes about how do I tell the universities my AS grades? My teacher told me that you only cash in ASs if you aren't taking them onto A2 but I've heard other people say that from now on you have to cash in all your ASs (if you go to state school, which I do), how can that be so? do i enter them as seperate AS levels aswell as the A2s? I thought i was supposed to add all the unit grades to the A2 section but i read on this site that you have to leave them all as pending :s-smilie:

basically any help giving me instructions on how to add my AS grades etc would be really appreciated.
Reply 102
I put them down under the category: GCE Advanced Subsidiary (first award 2001), that's what I got told to do by someone on here anyway,
hope this helps.
Reply 103
If your school didn't cash them in, you CAN'Tt declare them as they're not official qualifications. If the school did cash them in you HAVE to declare them - check with your exams officer when you get back to school. If you do enter them, the AS would be entered as a qualification already received, with module breakdowns if you want (although unless the Uni want it, it's not really worth it). The A2 would then be entered as a pending qualification.
Reply 104
I have to say that it makes me really angry that state school kids have to declare their AS results when independent school kids don't. :frown: Those kids are usually at considerable advantage already, without the ability to 'hide' slip ups, and be assessed on predicted A2 grades!

I got 3 really good As.....(full marks in 2 of the subjects and a very high A in the other), but had a 'blip' with the 4th (an essential one), and have arranged a priority remark. If it isn't upgraded to an A, I'm in possession of the proverbial paddle, and may need to take a gap year, as 2 of my possible choices would reject me instantly with a B at AS, regardless of how well I'm predicted to do at A2!! If I apply with my A2 results, it may be different.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 105
Original post by sidra malik
can u decline ur esult before u got the certificate or ven u got the results n on resulty day or after result day u go n c ur exam officer for declining ur result. am confused
You can't 'decline' results any more. What you get is what has to go on your UCAS, together with any plans you may have for resits.
Reply 106
Original post by Pumpsy
I have to say that it makes me really angry that state school kids have to declare their AS results when independent school kids don't. :frown: Those kids are usually at considerable advantage already, without the ability to 'hide' slip ups, and be assessed on predicted A2 grades!
Oh please don't be silly. Most independent schools certificate in exactly the same way as state schools do. It has always been a minority in both sectors that haven't certificated in Year 12, and unis have always been wise to the reasons why schools might not want to do it.
Reply 107
Original post by Willpesh
Sorry if this has been asked before; but I'd love some help please.
Just got my AS grades. How do I distinguish between AS and A2 on the Education section, or will it automatically assume that it's AS?
Also is the grade I put in the very first box, (with the subject, date, awarding body) my AS grade?
What do I put in the module boxes? Is for example, the practical in the WJEC Biology considered a stand alone module?

Very grateful for any help. Thanks
You enter the AS as one qualification, and then the A level as a pending qualification (which includes both AS and A2 modules. The overall grade goes in the very first box. Each module has a title - ask your teachers if you aren't sure what it is.

Original post by laughingbagel
Thank you!

So, for the GCE Advanced qualifications, do you think I should just put pending for all the six modules? Even the AS ones that I have grades for and won't be re-taking?
If the system will let you put in grades for the modules you've already done, then do it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 108
Hi guys, I just received my AS results and not all went to plan ( I got C, D and E if anyone is wondering) and now that you have to declare your results I'm just wondering has these set of results put my place at a university in jeopardy. I am quite worried that I will not be accepted anywhere.
Original post by laughingbagel
How do you enter AS grades onto your UCAS application? I have my four GCE Advanced Level qualifications set up, but I thought they were for the entire two years? So apart from putting in my individual unit scores, how can I show what my AS grades are? I can't put them in the 'Grade' section because the date of my qualifications is June 2012, and how would they know that I'm not referring to a full A2 score?

Also, I want to re-sit an AS module, so would I have to create an entire new Biology qualification and make it exactly the same but put 'pending' on the unit that I'm not satisfied with?

This? ^ my teacher has confused me majorly about AS grades on UCAS
Reply 110
Alongside my GCSEs, I had to complete some BTEC/ vocational courses, which are of no value whatsoever for me and the courses I will be applying for. DO these still have to be declared?

(Expecting the answer to be yes...).
Reply 111
Original post by tgarrud
This? ^ my teacher has confused me majorly about AS grades on UCAS
You can select an AS option from the list.

Original post by twig
Alongside my GCSEs, I had to complete some BTEC/ vocational courses, which are of no value whatsoever for me and the courses I will be applying for. DO these still have to be declared?

(Expecting the answer to be yes...).
Yes.
Reply 112
I have a kind of similar question. I finished my psych a2 a year early just got results now :smile:, but for some reason the examining officer decided not to cash it in. She said itd be better to keep as's with as's and a2's with a2's. I'm pretty sure this is bs (tell me if im wrong), but now that its not cashed I cant declare it on ucas. Is it too late too cash in the results? If yes, than what do I do now? If not, does anyone know the deadline for cashing in? Thanks
Sorry guys but im confused. im leaving my state school and ive recieved my AS results. They say they have to cash them in but are not being clear why. Can someone explain the rules and regulations behind that? howcome private schools dont?
what do you mean by cash in your results? Sorry but I don't understand.
cashing in
Original post by Fly away very quickly

Sorry guys but im confused. im leaving my state school and ive recieved my AS results. They say they have to cash them in but are not being clear why. Can someone explain the rules and regulations behind that? howcome private schools dont?

You have to cash them in because ALL state schools now have to do this (its related to funding, for one) meaning these grades will be declared on your UCAS form. Independent schools do not have to do this (although the vast majority do) because they are obviously funded by themselves rather than the state, so they can do what they want a bit more whereas all state schools will now be certificating all of their AS subjects.

Most private schools do certificate results at the time they are taken. Schools that wish to figure well in league tables are now essentially forced to certificate results at the time they are taken as they can only contribute to league table results at that time. Otherwise they are wasted as far as as the school is concerned.
Original post by oxymoronic
You have to cash them in because ALL state schools now have to do this (its related to funding, for one) meaning these grades will be declared on your UCAS form. Independent schools do not have to do this (although the vast majority do) because they are obviously funded by themselves rather than the state, so they can do what they want a bit more whereas all state schools will now be certificating all of their AS subjects.

Could you please explain this funding rule, and why they have to? if im retaking my as year, and im going to apply to uni through a different school

Latest

Trending

Trending