The Student Room Group

Don't know what to do (Economics remark?)

I received my AS results yesterday...

In economics (exam boards AQA), I received 83 for Econ 1, and 60 for Econ 2 :confused:.

I knew the exam had gone badly but I didn't expect to get such a low mark. This however, is a B overall, and I'd have to get 17 more UMS to get an A, but only lose 3 to go down to an overall C.

Would it be better to just resit it? I do have a feeling it was marked harshly.

Anyway my other A-Levels are Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Geography, and I got about 95% in all of these - seeing as I want to read Engineering at Uni (and I'm gonna apply for Oxford), it is these that matter, but I'm still a bit concerned about Economics.

Has anyone been in a similar situation or can anyone offer any advice? Resit or remark? :/

:s-smilie: cheers
I'm in a bit of similar situation tbh..erm I got 158/200 in both OCR German and OCR Economics (both 2 UMS from an A) and not sure whether or not to bother remarking one or both of them. I'm planning on studying economics with German at uni???
Reply 2
Original post by -Illmatic-
I'm in a bit of similar situation tbh..erm I got 158/200 in both OCR German and OCR Economics (both 2 UMS from an A) and not sure whether or not to bother remarking one or both of them. I'm planning on studying economics with German at uni???

I'd get both remarked if I were you.

My problem is, if I get a remark it might not make a lot of difference, but even if I only go up a few marks, it will getting an overall A easier next year.
Original post by Jack Dolan
I'd get both remarked if I were you.

I might do that :smile: I'm not sure if it is gonna make a major difference to my application but I'll probably just have a shot at it! How long does a remark take...if I was to appeal in early september, will I have it by mid/late september?

Original post by Jack Dolan

My problem is, if I get a remark it might not make a lot of difference, but even if I only go up a few marks, it will getting an overall A easier next year.

Yeah I agree :smile: I dont think I wanna be having to retake anything on top of my A2 modules!
Reply 4
I might do that :smile: I'm not sure if it is gonna make a major difference to my application but I'll probably just have a shot at it! How long does a remark take...if I was to appeal in early september, will I have it by mid/late september?

I think it takes up to 30 days (at least this is the case with AQA). I'd definitely do it if I were you, especially as you're so close.

Yeah I agree :smile: I dont think I wanna be having to retake anything on top of my A2 modules!

And yeah I know what you mean, I think maybe one module won't hurt but it would be nicer to not have to do any.
Reply 5
mate lol :smile: yestreday on opening my economics AS mark.... 160/200 UMS, A by the boundary baby, allllll in a days work and that's the way to do it
Reply 6
good job man.
Reply 7
Similar issue as well. I was hoping to continue Economics as a degree choice. But I got my A2 yesterday and it said B :O. Can't really apply for pure economics now at the top unis with a B! When I sat the paper I thought it went really well so I'm hoping it's my illegible to blame and sent for a remark! :frown:
Reply 8
Ahh unlucky :/ I hope it all works out for ya.
Reply 9
you'll be fine as you're taking 5 a levels and most people only do 4 i guess so they will understand and more likely be impressed that you managed!

otherwise remark and then decide if its really worth resitting if you're disappointed....dont want to distract your revision from your other subjects that, as you said, actually really matter x
Reply 10
I got roughly the same marks as you in the exam aswell but I'm gonna drop economics because I got A's in my other subjects... but if I was to take it for A2 I would personally resit econ 2 because the first half of it is multi-choice so there isn't anyway that the marking could be wrong for that. The data response section is where you could get some extra marks but it isn't likely to increase that much. So if I was you I would just re-sit econ 2.
Reply 11
Cheers for the advice... yeah I'm thinking re-sit.

Quick Reply

Latest