The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Beth1234

Hmm... St Andrews? Are you applying for "Fast Track"? Why not Edinburgh?

Most probably. I'll have the grades for it so I might as well.
Umm.. I don't know, I did think about Edinburgh but I ended up going for St Andrews instead.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Hello!
I'm planning on studying medicine.
GCSEs: 9 A*s and an A
So far in GCEs:
AS Biology, AS Chemistry, AS Physics - A
A2 Maths - A* (very pleased with myself for this because I got 97 in C4 :biggrin:)

I'm struggling to think of how to end my personal statement: At the moment it just ends after a paragraph on my hobbies/sports... Any ideas how to tail it off naturally?

Cat
Original post by imnotherehonest
Hello!
So far in GCEs:
A2 Maths - A* (very pleased with myself for this because I got 97 in C4 :biggrin:)

I'm struggling to think of how to end my personal statement: At the moment it just ends after a paragraph on my hobbies/sports... Any ideas how to tail it off naturally?

Cat

Beautiful! Make sure you nail the BMAT and as for personal statement, I reccommend the personal statement section of The Student Room where you can get specific advice on your personal statement from current medicine students. It's a VERY credibly service, make use!
Original post by imnotherehonest
Hello!
So far in GCEs:

Cat

Think like M&S... you could say 'This is my passion, this will be my life, this is drugs :colondollar:'

...or instead you could change it to medicine...
If you manage to get the school to say that they are confident you'd get AAB, it may be worth a shot. However, I must say that without extenuating circumstances, I think it's rather difficult to explain some of those grades. Also, AAB are minimum requirements - there will, of course be people applying with better AS grades, and probably better A2 predictions too (maybe AAA or even above).

If you can put together a good PS, and a very good reference (Imperial seems to put quite a lot of emphasis on both), then you are in with a (slim) chance. What caused you to underachieve? How far were you off AAAB?

Thought I was going to do well but not sure what happened. I think it's probably exam technique but my mum keeps saying my handwriting is bad (unlikely to make it drop that much).

Just want to know if the grades with a prediction of AAB would be likely to be considered seeing as biochemistry isn't as competitive as other courses.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by nikita_atikin
I see you are a computing student.

I'll be honest. You have a bit of a struggle, I'm not going to lie. AABB are not perfect. I would make Imperial your highest uni if I were you.
However, A in maths is positive and the fact that you're going to do an AS in further maths is encouraging too. Make sure you get an A* prediction for maths.
The A in economics looks good too, any way of bumping up the English grade?
You are quite disadvantaged in the fact that you aren't doing many sciency A Levels like physics, chemistry etc that a lot of other students will have. Work your butt off for resits and nail a good PS and get a good reference (details are on my post in the first page), you will do yourself justice. Apply to Imperial anyway, but put in a lot of hard work because the likely offer you will get is A*AAA.

What are your GCSEs btw, because I feel like you're being a bit harsh on yourself and undermining your ablities? Also do you do any extra relevant maths/computing stuff like programming and any noteworthy hobbies?

I'm dropping ICT at A2, it's pointless. This year nobody got over a C at A2, the teachers are just that bad.

Plans for English Lit: remark it and keep my fingers crossed.

There is a reason why I haven't mentioned my GCSEs :bawling: but apparently my reference is 'dealing' with that problem. I can give you a clue and say I got no A*s.

Hobby-wise I don't really do programming and stuff, did a bit of work experience at a small game company which was the closest I could find. I do mention in my PS that I have dabbled in programming (very basic). I have also a book on it, and a book on Computer Science.

And yes Imperial is the highest I'm aiming for, second highest being UCL (subjective of course). I'm pretty sure I'm going to be predicted A*A*A, and since I'm self-teaching F.Maths I can't really predict my own grades.

If I fail I could always take a gap year, I don't really have an insurance apart from St. Andrews asking for AAB (not really an insurance) because if I'm going to spend 27k on something, I'm going to make it worthwhile.
Reply 106
Original post by ??????????????????
Thought I was going to do well but not sure what happened. I think it's probably exam technique but my mum keeps saying my handwriting is bad (unlikely to make it drop that much).

Just want to know if the grades with a prediction of AAB would be likely to be considered seeing as biochemistry isn't as competitive as other courses.

It's probably exam technique. I don't know what exam board you're on... but if it's OCR, then for the sciences, you have very little choice but to simply learn the mark schemes :frown: If you - and your school - genuinely haven't got a clue where you went wrong, it'd probably worth getting the paper back quickly (priority request) and maybe sending it off to get remarked?

It would cetainly be considered (or they wouldn't put that as their entry requirement)... the question is how long they consider it for! :wink: I guess it would be essential that the reference and PS are of an excellent standard. If you were only a few marks off AAAB, you should let the teachers put it in the reference!
(edited 12 years ago)
It's probably exam technique. I don't know what exam board you're on... but if it's OCR, then for the sciences, you have very little choice but to simply learn the mark schemes :frown: If you - and your school - genuinely haven't got a clue where you went wrong, it'd probably worth getting the paper back quickly (priority request) and maybe sending it off to get remarked?

It would cetainly be considered (or they wouldn't put that as their entry requirement)... the question is how long they consider it for! :wink:

It was AQA which I find annoying. Find them too specific. I'm actually wondering how I did so bad in bio and chem when I thought I'd do AA in them. Maths I knew I'd get a B because I flopped C2 (missed 5 questions somehow) yet my maths got highest UMS. Going to get the marked scripts back for bio and chemistry and go over the exams with the teachers to see what went wrong before deciding to remark or not. Scripts come back at the latest like 12th of September and deadline for remark is 16th. Gave scripts in quite early so hopefully they come back soon.

Oh and thanks for the replies.
Reply 108
Original post by Sweetcorn_1
I'm dropping ICT at A2, it's pointless. This year nobody got over a C at A2, the teachers are just that bad.

Plans for English Lit: remark it and keep my fingers crossed.

There is a reason why I haven't mentioned my GCSEs :bawling: but apparently my reference is 'dealing' with that problem. I can give you a clue and say I got no A*s.

Hobby-wise I don't really do programming and stuff, did a bit of work experience at a small game company which was the closest I could find. I do mention in my PS that I have dabbled in programming (very basic). I have also a book on it, and a book on Computer Science.

And yes Imperial is the highest I'm aiming for, second highest being UCL (subjective of course). I'm pretty sure I'm going to be predicted A*A*A, and since I'm self-teaching F.Maths I can't really predict my own grades.

If I fail I could always take a gap year, I don't really have an insurance apart from St. Andrews asking for AAB (not really an insurance) because if I'm going to spend 27k on something, I'm going to make it worthwhile.

Well... you could quickly pick up some programming skills in the next few months (in time for sending your application off), and it's certainly a very fun hobby! Python is a very easy language to start with, and I think it helps to build a good foundation if you learn it well (it was my first language - and it remains my favourite). You could then progress to the (possibly) more sophisticated C or Java. No doubt nikita_atikin can give better advice than me on this front! :wink:

Another one going for St. Andrews... You're happy to spend one extra year (of fees as well) at Uni?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 109
It was AQA which I find annoying. Find them too specific. I'm actually wondering how I did so bad in bio and chem when I thought I'd do AA in them. Maths I knew I'd get a B because I flopped C2 (missed 5 questions somehow) yet my maths got highest UMS. Going to get the marked scripts back for bio and chemistry and go over the exams with the teachers to see what went wrong before deciding to remark or not. Scripts come back at the latest like 12th of September and deadline for remark is 16th. Gave scripts in quite early so hopefully they come back soon.

Oh and thanks for the replies.

Oh ok :smile: Well, we'll keep our fingers crossed for you!

And yeah, you're right, AQA are a little specific - but then all the English exam boards are too specific.

We should all adopt the Scottish system instead! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 110
x

Username: Mike93L
Subject: Physics
Hello there!

I haven't found a thread for those of us who plan to apply for 2012 yet, so I thought I'd create one. It is, of course, still early days yet (though last years applicant thread was created in May...)!

Discuss courses, AS results, pre-application anxiety, conditional offer anxiety, post-exam anxiety, cakes (:rolleyes:) etc.

I've just started to compile a list of applicants, before I lose track of everyone.

If you want to be on "The List" quote this post with:

Username: [your username]
Subject: [the subject you're applying for]

(If you do change your mind and want to be taken off "The List", let me know!)

White space! :P

2012 List of Applicants for Entry!

White space! :P

Username: starburst01
Course: BEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering!

question: how Important is Further Maths for EEE and engineering in general?
(edited 12 years ago)
Oh ok :smile: Well, we'll keep our fingers crossed for you!

And yeah, you're right, AQA are a little specific - but then all the English exam boards are too specific.

We should all adopt the Scottish system instead! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Meh if I don't get in but get good grades I'll just gap year it I guess. What's the Scottish system?
Well... you could quickly pick up some programming skills in the next few months (in time for sending your application off), and it's certainly a very fun hobby! Python is a very easy language to start with, and I think it helps to build a good foundation if you learn it well (it was my first language - and it remains my favourite). You could then progress to the (possibly) more sophisticated C or Java. No doubt nikita_atikin can give better advice than me on this front! :wink:

Another one going for St. Andrews... You're happy to spend one extra year (of fees as well) at Uni?

I've had the book for a while, but I haven't really touched it, not really motivated. Self teaching myself Further Maths and a programming language at the same time is something I'm not looking forward to because I have never really tried it before. While I'm confident about Maths, I'm not so sure about programming. I've also had troubles with work experience so my Personal Statement may be a bit scarce.

If my life goes to plan :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: it'll be worth the 27k-36k.
Reply 114
Original post by Sweetcorn_1
I've had the book for a while, but I haven't really touched it, not really motivated. Self teaching myself Further Maths and a programming language at the same time is something I'm not looking forward to because I have never really tried it before. While I'm confident about Maths, I'm not so sure about programming. I've also had troubles with work experience so my Personal Statement may be a bit scarce.

If my life goes to plan :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: it'll be worth the 27k-36k.

Which book?

Programming really is something that, I think, can help build up a good personal statement, since it's something you can do in your own time. And it shows an interest and willingness to learn in an aspect of Computer Science. While programming experience isn't a prerequisite for Comp. Sci. degrees, I imagine it would be good to have some kind of programming experience before starting university. It certainly wouldn't hurt.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 115
Meh if I don't get in but get good grades I'll just gap year it I guess. What's the Scottish system?

Well, it's not massively different. The key thing is that its not modular - for each subject, there's one exam at the end of fifth year (that's our Year 12) and another at the end of sixth year. The answers required are generally less specific, and there's more knowledge to learn.

They are supposed to be harder. A Scottish Higher (equivalent to AS) is 144 hours work, while an AS-level is only 120 hours work.
Which book?

Programming really is something that, I think, can help build up a good personal statement, since it's something you can do in your own time. And it shows an interest and willingness to learn in an aspect of Computer Science. While programming experience isn't a prerequisite for Comp. Sci. degrees, I imagine it would be good to have some kind of programming experience before starting university. It certainly wouldn't hurt.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1435455002/

All I can say about it is that I read it really.
Well, it's not massively different. The key thing is that its not modular - for each subject, there's one exam at the end of fifth year (that's our Year 12) and another at the end of sixth year. The answers required are generally less specific, and there's more knowledge to learn.

They are supposed to be harder. A Scottish Higher (equivalent to AS) is 144 hours work, while an AS-level is only 120 hours work.

ITV have a university program on now. Unis in holland don't care about grades, charge £1000 and may pay for it if you have a job. Sorted.

Oh and going to read a 1600 book before applications so I an include in PS
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 118
It certainly wouldn't hurt.

Yeah its probably helpful and gives something else to talk about in interview.

Could you change me from Maths to Maths and Computer Science please?
Reply 119
Original post by Inglip
Yeah its probably helpful and gives something else to talk about in interview.

Could you change me from Maths to Maths and Computer Science please?

Changed :smile:

I wonder sometimes if I should make that change myself...

Latest

Trending

Trending