The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by aleviodema
Any Oxbridgers applying too.

I'm going to apply to Cambridge as well :smile: You?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by Mike93L
I'm going to apply to Cambridge as well :smile: You?

Same here haha, applying to Emma, what college are u applying too?

It seems that Emma will consist entirely of TSRers. Got to love it.
Anyone else applying for Theoretical Physics MSci?

Original post by Edwin Okli
It seems that Emma will consist entirely of TSRers. Got to love it.

Christs/Trinity (haven't decided yet) is where I am applying. Didn't think Emma was anything that special on the open day.
Reply 144

Churchill but I'm reconsidering now.

I'm applying to Cambridge as well :biggrin:

Everyone else seems to be applying to Cambridge, so I thought I'd stick my hand in for say Oxford... :biggrin:
Original post by arianex
Whew - just returned from ICL M'sian Freshers' camp, let's get back to business! :biggrin: Good to see y'all again, future juniors. Let's begin...

CompSci peeps: nikita_atikin is now away in India for 3 weeks (20 Sept) with cruddy internet - if you have any Q's, either a) log them down and ask her when she gets back, or b) ask me and I'll compile a list of CS-specific Qs for her - which I'll pass on when she returns. :smile:

I'm also more than happy to provide help with PS-es, interviews and extracurrics though, as they're my forte. And yes, I'll do my best to answer other miscellany that won't require in-depth knowledge of the CompSci course. :wink:

@Edwin - Summerdays on TSR knows about self-teaching Math modules; he actually taught himself the whole Maths and FM syllabus (Additional FM too, but he dropped that.) But I agree with Chaz that STEP may be more useful than Additional FM; though if it's JMC I really wouldn't worry about STEP (unless you don't have FM at A2, because they'll take AEA or STEP in lieu of FM A-level.)

Mathmos on the other hand...I -would- worry about STEP or AEA; especially if you're not from a comprehensive. They usually tend to give STEP offers to those not from comprehensives.
Since Imps don't interview for Maths, something like that is probably the best way to prove your capabilities + added interest in the subject (apart from Additional FM.)

You're welcome. :smile: Well you'll find there's a fair bit of crossover between Aeronautics and Automotive engineering, so yes, by all means. :smile: There *are* people who do get into automotive engineering after Aero from Imps, and it doesn't mean that they're disadvantaged by a huge margin or something; it just means they'll be used to working with vehicles on land than those that go into (allow me a Portal 2 quote here) SPAAAAAAAAACE. :tongue:

Just don't forget to briefly mention what you've learnt from working in said garage. You don't have to go *too* in-depth; chances are they might well ask you about that in interview as well (or you can bring it up in your interview when they ask you what your fave bits about Engineering are, etc.)

Very much so for EEE; it's one of their core entry requirements. Even in BME/Biomed Eng where I don't need FM to gain entry, half the Maths syllabus in the first year is comprised of FM modules.

Also, if you try to apply for EEE without FM, you're pretty much screwed (it's the WHOLE of your first year!) They won't even interview you, they'll palm off your app to my department "for consideration". I'm not kidding; there have been peeps who've applied for EEE without reading the reqs that state you need FM at AS level at the very least. They've then been rejected and then moaned "WAAAAAAI" even though we at TSR have already said "uh-oh, you're not going to get in."

So I guess it depends on which stream...for all engineering streams, FM is helpful. For some, it's essential to even getting an interview in the first place.

PS// Dark-Myth got in for EEE, I suggest giving him a PM. :smile:

May I suggest compiling both Physics and Theoretical Physics together, with a bracket saying (+ Theoretical) beside the names of those who do end up in said streams? It just makes the list less big-ish.

Also, if you find any PG peeps, just tack (PG) at the end of their names. :smile:

Regarding your point on FM, Is it the same for international applicants too? I don't think any school in my city offers Further Maths :tongue:
Reply 148
Original post by starburst01
Regarding your point on FM, Is it the same for international applicants too? I don't think any school in my city offers Further Maths :tongue:

International or not, the requirements are pretty much the same...I've never heard of Imps making a lower offer just because someone's international.
While we're at it, a HUGE majority of the peeps on EEE *are* international peeps who've got in on A*AA.

If you don't have FM, take something like STEP or AEA, or contact admissions to see what other international math qualifications they'll accept in lieu of this. Other option: self-teach FM AS at least (which may be better because STEP does include a lot of prior knowledge of FM) and have your school enter you for FM exams.
You -must- make them aware of your situation when you're applying though.
Reply 149
Original post by fluteflute
Do it! Computer Science is amazing. Please can you add me to the (pure) CS list?

Added to list :smile:

Original post by arianex
Mathmos on the other hand...I -would- worry about STEP or AEA; especially if you're not from a comprehensive. They usually tend to give STEP offers to those not from comprehensives.
Since Imps don't interview for Maths, something like that is probably the best way to prove your capabilities + added interest in the subject (apart from Additional FM.)

By the way, is it worth mentioning that I got 2,2 in STEP I and II this year? Both of these were done with no revision, as I was focussing more on my A-levels. Looking at past STEP offers for Imperial, they've always asked for a 1 in STEP, so I am a bit unsure.

I'm also applying for Cambridge... and I'm not sure I want them to see the 2,2 either.

Original post by arianex
May I suggest compiling both Physics and Theoretical Physics together, with a bracket saying (+ Theoretical) beside the names of those who do end up in said streams? It just makes the list less big-ish.

Also, if you find any PG peeps, just tack (PG) at the end of their names. :smile:

A good idea!

Me :smile: (Cambridge)
Reply 150
Everyone else seems to be applying to Cambridge, so I thought I'd stick my hand in for say Oxford... :biggrin:

Yeahh, another Oxford applicant :smile:. I'm Maths & CS.

Have you picked a college?
Reply 151
Hi there

This is my first ever post on TSR, been an avid observer though :L

I was wondering if people would give me some advice

I got at As Levels-

Physics - A
Maths - A (95% UMS)
Further maths - A
Chemsitry- B ( even though got As in the exams, but C in practical :frown:)

I was wondering if the B grade going to affect my chances of getting onto a physics with theoretical physics degree there. I dont plan to continue with chemsitry for A2.

I got 10 A* in GCSE, but worried imperial may look down on me for my B in chemistry.

Thank you
Original post by Inglip

Original post by Inglip
Yeahh, another Oxford applicant :smile:. I'm Maths & CS.

Have you picked a college?
No... on the 16th September I'm going to the Merton open day thingy, and also will look around Univ and St John's. How about you?

Oh and come join our epic Oxford 2012 applicants thread (although be warned, sometimes the humanities students like to waffle, we've reached 249 pages so far... :wink:)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 153
No... on the 16th September I'm going to the Merton open day thingy, and also will look around Univ and St John's. How about you?

Oh and come join our epic Oxford 2012 applicants thread (although be warned, sometimes the humanities students like to waffle, we've reached 249 pages so far... :wink:)

I think I'm going with Merton.

Yeah I joined that thread a while ago but I think prefer this thread with all the Mathematicians and Computer Scientists.
Original post by Inglip

Original post by Inglip
I think I'm going with Merton.

Yeah I joined that thread a while ago but I think prefer this thread with all the Mathematicians and Computer Scientists.
Ah we may well be in very direct competition then... (disclaimer: I'm well aware that which college you apply to does not affect your chances of getting a place)

Why are you thinking Merton? Have you visited it or spoken to the CS tutor?
Reply 155
Ah we may well be in very direct competition then... (disclaimer: I'm well aware that which college you apply to does not affect your chances of getting a place)

Why are you thinking Merton? Have you visited it or spoken to the CS tutor?

Yes, I visited and it is quite a beautiful place. Also 4 years of housing and good grades are a small factor. I haven't seen the CS tutor though.

Direct competition? Are you doing CS alone or with maths?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Inglip
Yes, I visited and it is quite a beautiful place. I haven't seen the CS tutor though.

Direct competition? Are you doing CS alone or with maths?

CS alone, but my understanding is that at Oxford CS+Maths doesn't have a separate quota, its applicants must come from either the CS or Maths quotas.
Which is better, Cambridge or imperial for engineering?
Original post by arianex
International or not, the requirements are pretty much the same...I've never heard of Imps making a lower offer just because someone's international.
While we're at it, a HUGE majority of the peeps on EEE *are* international peeps who've got in on A*AA.

If you don't have FM, take something like STEP or AEA, or contact admissions to see what other international math qualifications they'll accept in lieu of this. Other option: self-teach FM AS at least (which may be better because STEP does include a lot of prior knowledge of FM) and have your school enter you for FM exams.
You -must- make them aware of your situation when you're applying though.

imperial's eee page says the third subject can be any from a list given but further maths is preferred and the required subjects are maths and physics. I get it would make a stronger application but are you sure FM is pretty much a requirement? I am giving FM A Level this november anyway to keep me busy in the gap year but I might miss out on an A because I started just a few months ago
Will probably send an open application to oxford, anyone else started looking at the pre interview test?