The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Beth1234
Hello there!

I haven't found a thread for those of us who plan to apply for 2012 yet, so I thought I'd create one. It is, of course, still early days yet (though last years applicant thread was created in May...)!

Discuss courses, AS results, pre-application anxiety, conditional offer anxiety, post-exam anxiety, cakes (:rolleyes:) etc.

I've just started to compile a list of applicants, before I lose track of everyone.

If you want to be on "The List" quote this post with:

Username: [your username]
Subject: [the subject you're applying for]

(If you do change your mind and want to be taken off "The List", let me know!)

White space! :P

2012 List of Applicants for Entry!

Username: aleviodema
Subjects: Mechanical engineering+ Aeronautical engineering
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 161
Is there a need to take a fourth subject for A2, if you want to do physics at Imperial ?
Reply 162
By the way, is it worth mentioning that I got 2,2 in STEP I and II this year? Both of these were done with no revision, as I was focussing more on my A-levels. Looking at past STEP offers for Imperial, they've always asked for a 1 in STEP, so I am a bit unsure.

I'm also applying for Cambridge... and I'm not sure I want them to see the 2,2 either.

Hmm. I'm really not sure, as I don't know what the policy is on STEP retakes...lemme forward this to my friend who did it and see what she knows.
Or alternatively, PM Tsatska here on TSR - she got in for Maths at Imperial and she did STEP too. :smile:

Original post by Rubzy
Hi there

This is my first ever post on TSR, been an avid observer though :L

I was wondering if people would give me some advice

I got at As Levels-

Physics - A
Maths - A (95% UMS)
Further maths - A
Chemsitry- B ( even though got As in the exams, but C in practical :frown:)

I was wondering if the B grade going to affect my chances of getting onto a physics with theoretical physics degree there. I dont plan to continue with chemsitry for A2.

I got 10 A* in GCSE, but worried imperial may look down on me for my B in chemistry.

Thank you

ISAs and their corresponding tests can be a right bugger, no? :/ Well it's probably a good thing you're dropping it so you can focus on your other three subjects; just be sure to report the As in your exam modules. :smile: Also get your Chem teacher to report in your PS on how good you generally are on the subject, and that the C in your practical exam bears no reflection on your ability, etc etc (pretty vital point to make IMO!)
ISAs at GCSE certainly are nothing next to ISAs at A2...so I'm not surprised, the shock catches out a LOAD of people. o.O

Besides, the fact you have 10 A*s proves that you ain't a dunce whatsoever, whether it's Chem or not.

Original post by aleviodema
Which is better, Cambridge or imperial for engineering?

Depends on your stream, really.

They're both great places, but they're different in their approaches: Cambridge starts off as general engineering science for the first two years before specializing in the 3rd and 4th years. Imperial on the other hand...once you're in that stream, that's it - unless you make a request to swap within the first year (and they'll have to take into account your grades, performance, etc.)
Personally, as a BME-er, Imperial's course won out over Oxbridge's.

I'd say it also depends on how sure you are on what you want to do: if you're certain about the field of engineering you'd like to pursue, go for Imperial's; the specialization that happens in their courses is the best bar none IMO - while still giving you a degree of flexibility to do other forms of engineering once you graduate. Someone I know did Aero at Imps, but hasn't practiced Aero for yonks (he works with Shell) so just because Imperial specializes (a bit) from the first-year onwards, it doesn't mean you're at a disadvantage career-wise. :smile:

Original post by starburst01
imperial's eee page says the third subject can be any from a list given but further maths is preferred and the required subjects are maths and physics. I get it would make a stronger application but are you sure FM is pretty much a requirement? I am giving FM A Level this november anyway to keep me busy in the gap year but I might miss out on an A because I started just a few months ago

Well I'm going on what I remember last year; where they explicitly required at least AS Further Maths (everything else that didn't have it was immediately vetoed.) And I'm not surprised; the amount of Maths in first year is just crazy. o.O
I have a *very* good hunch as to why they've changed it this year, though (and relaxed the FM requirement)...but I'm not going to say for sure, because I can't vouch for it. (It does include the whole fee-hike thing, but that's not all of the story.)

What other subjects have you got? Even if you end up getting an offer that doesn't include FM, I'd highly recommend that you read up on it well.

Original post by Rubzy
Is there a need to take a fourth subject for A2, if you want to do physics at Imperial ?

Not at all. Standard offers for any university course (yes, including Imperial's) are made on the basis of 3 subjects. Half the guys I know doing Physics at Imps did 3 A2s, the other half did 4 or took the IB.

To be on the safe side: Continue your 4th A2 ONLY if you really enjoy it and are capable enough to *also* score at least an A in it WITHOUT JEOPARDIZING YOUR OTHER SUBJECTS. Because if anyone's doing 4 A2s out of their own accord (not because school makes them do it - e.g. grammar schools that make people do 5 or so), Imperial's more likely to go "okay, you academic hotshot - prove that you haven't spread yourself too thin; score an A in your 4th subject as well!" It's how they'll also weed out some people, you see.

So if you do 4, you're almost certain to get an offer based on 4 - and let's not forget how competitive things are; there's hardly any wiggle room for error (whether it's 1, 5 or 10 UMS you missed your offer by, it doesn't matter - you *can* be just declined like that. Case in point: many of my other mates this year. :/) The only exception is if your 4th subject isn't *that* academic; say Music Tech for instance - then they won't bother including that subject in your offer.
(edited 12 years ago)
Added to list :smile:

By the way, is it worth mentioning that I got 2,2 in STEP I and II this year? Both of these were done with no revision, as I was focussing more on my A-levels. Looking at past STEP offers for Imperial, they've always asked for a 1 in STEP, so I am a bit unsure.

People have got into cam with a 2 in STEP I. Just sayin'.
which college are you applying to?
Reply 164
A tip for anyone considering any maths related courses, if you can take FM for AS and A2, do it. I wasn't told that it would be such a great asset for applying to good universities, and back in AS I didn't even think I'd apply to Imperial, so they asked me to do AEA as a part of my offer which is a lot harder than just getting an A in FM. If you take FM the chances of them asking you for something like STEP/AEA is a lot less, and trust me, having them as a part of your offer isn't fun unless you're really good at that type of maths. In the end I didn't pass AEA but they let me in anyway, but it might not be the same case next year. I did do a lot of extra preparation for AEA and so my maths in general got a lot better, which allowed me to get 100 on C3 and C4, but if I had the option of just doing FM I would take it any day.
Reply 165
Original post by ben-smith
People have got into cam with a 2 in STEP I. Just sayin'.
which college are you applying to?

I'm applying to Magdalene (I believe, the only college which asks for A*A*A, with A*s in M and FM... the joy :redface:).

I think it's rare for people to be allowed in with a 2 in STEP I, certainly if they don't get a 1 in STEP II or III. Added to the fact that I have done further maths, my offer (fingers crossed I even get one!) will be based on II and III.
I'm applying to Magdalene (I believe, the only college which asks for A*A*A, with A*s in M and FM... the joy :redface:).

I think it's rare for people to be allowed in with a 2 in STEP I, certainly if they don't get a 1 in STEP II or III. Added to the fact that I have done further maths, my offer (fingers crossed I even get one!) will be based on II and III.

I thought that all colleges need A*A*A with 1,1 in STEP II and III for maths? But that might have been me just scaring myself :colondollar:
Reply 167
Username: aleviodema
Subjects: Mechanical engineering+ Aeronautical engineering

...I wasn't aware that was actually an Imperial degree... :confused:

(Or do you mean you haven't decided yet?)
(edited 12 years ago)

Sorry, I don't think I made myself clear. I meant people had gotten offers where they had stated in their application that they had a 2 in STEP I.
Reply 169
Original post by like_a_star
I thought that all colleges need A*A*A with 1,1 in STEP II and III for maths? But that might have been me just scaring myself :colondollar:

Nah - the general A-level offer is A*AA. Depending on your college, they may specify A* in maths, A in FM or something like that. The STEP offers seem to range from 1,2 to S,1.
Reply 170
Original post by ben-smith
Sorry, I don't think I made myself clear. I meant people had gotten offers where they had stated in their application that they had a 2 in STEP I.

Oh. Well... I'm not sure. I mean - on one hand, it could be looked upon as a resit. On the other, a person who already has 2,2 in STEP is likely to be able to at least achieve it again, if not better.

:confused:
Oh. Well... I'm not sure. I mean - on one hand, it could be looked upon as a resit. On the other, a person who already has 2,2 in STEP is likely to be able to at least achieve it again, if not better.

:confused:

I think it would be good to put it in your PS because if you've achieved it a year earlier then it shows that your capable of doing it again and better. you will definitely have to do it again but won't it make you shine out from other candidates if you've done something that others won't be able to do a year later?? I'm not sure if that made sense :s-smilie:
Reply 172
Results:
As Maths - A
As Geography -A
As Physics - B
As Chem - B (dropping this)
A2 French - A :smile:

Thinking of applying for geophysics, what do you reckon my chances are?
...I wasn't aware that was actually an Imperial degree... :confused:

(Or do you mean you haven't decided yet?)

Nah lol, I'm applying to both courses.
By the way is aeronautical engineering imperials most competitive engineering course.,
Reply 175
Original post by Bilabar
Results:
As Maths - A
As Geography -A
As Physics - B
As Chem - B (dropping this)
A2 French - A :smile:

Thinking of applying for geophysics, what do you reckon my chances are?

The B in Physics is a bit of a disadvantage, but if you can get predicted at least an A and have a good personal statement and reference then you will probably get an interview. The A in Maths is good, I think this is possibly more important than A level Physics. I think it is worth you applying and you will be in with a good chance :smile:.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 176
Nah lol, I'm applying to both courses.

Ah, I understand :smile:

In that case, you shall be in the list twice! :biggrin:
Reply 177
Hello there!

I haven't found a thread for those of us who plan to apply for 2012 yet, so I thought I'd create one. It is, of course, still early days yet (though last years applicant thread was created in May...)!

Discuss courses, AS results, pre-application anxiety, conditional offer anxiety, post-exam anxiety, cakes (:rolleyes:) etc.

I've just started to compile a list of applicants, before I lose track of everyone.

If you want to be on "The List" quote this post with:

Username: [your username]
Subject: [the subject you're applying for]

(If you do change your mind and want to be taken off "The List", let me know!)

2012 List of Applicants for Entry!

Username: Alex J
Course: Medicine
By the way is aeronautical engineering imperials most competitive engineering course.,

i want to know that aswell
Guys does anyone know if the aeronautical/ engineering students get sent to american unis during the 3rd year such as, MIT, Berkley, Caltech etc..., I heard UCL do it though :0

Latest

Trending

Trending