The Student Room Group

The hardest A Level subject?

Scroll to see replies

MEI maths.
Reply 21
Physics and Chemistry
English Literature, in my opinion.

To this day; I still don't know how I got 100% in it. I spent most of the year battling to scrape As in it!

(I got a C in it at AS, so is it any wonder I was shocked?)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 23
Whichever you enjoy the least. Got A* in maths, A in economics and D in politics, it was the absolute pinnacle of tedium, could probably have got an A if I'd have knuckled down and done all the reading but it was just so dull I couldn't do it.
The only hard subjects are the ones you aren't interested in :wink:
Original post by Choccielatte
English Literature, in my opinion.

To this day; I still don't know how I got 100% in it. I spent most of the year battling to scrape As in it!

Only on TSR :flutter:
Media, photography, film studies.. Oh wait.
Out of interest for people who say Chemistry, is AS just as hard or is A2 the real killer? I plan on doing it for AS then dropping it, will I still struggle?
Stupid thread. A maths genius may find english lit and language hard, and Shakespeare might struggle with differentiation or diffraction patterns... completely subjective on that, as well as how much you enjoy the subject (and how much you are willing to put in).
Reply 29
Additional Further Maths sounds NASTY. FP3, S3,S4, M3, M4 and M5....ARGH. Although the learning curve probably isn't as steep...you'd be doing further maths anyway so you'd be used to it.
Maths, Further Maths or Physics. :sigh:

I'm a little surprised by the amount of people that have said Chemistry already in this thread (and Biology for that matter), I always loved those subjects; even if, at times, they could be a little challenging. Ah well, each to their own I s'pose. :wink:
History.

Further (or further additional) maths, depending on module choice.
Chemistry-It's less intuitive than the other sciences.
Reply 33
F maths, anyone thats done it will agree
Reply 34
Chemistry
Reply 35
Original post by hellomoto170
Out of interest for people who say Chemistry, is AS just as hard or is A2 the real killer? I plan on doing it for AS then dropping it, will I still struggle?

I found as chemistry really hard. I got a B this results day after getting a D in january, retaking to get a high B, getting an A in the practical and another D in unit 2 with a tutor for months. I did have a **** teacher, but a lot of people found it really hard. Not to put you off, some people are fine, id just say unless you find it interesting, and are quite good at GCSE it is quite hard. So glad to be dropping that muvafcker!

OP-Chemistry.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by bramz19
Critical Thinking by a country mile. It's incredibly hard to motivate yourself to give a tiny rat's arse about it, and as a result most people in my year ended up making a pig's ear of it.

haha this is so true. I got a D yesterday :rolleyes:
physics. got an E for it, chemistry i find easy out of the sciences, its a mixture of hard content and application, biology is way too emphasied on the application to exam questions. and physics is just hard, but it depends on the person.

maths is straightforward with persistent hard work
There is no such thing. Poeple have their own strengths and weaknesses.
Somebody could not study and get A* in physics or further maths and will struggle to scrap a D in english or history
Chemistry or English Literature...but obviously the degree of difficulty depends on the students' strengths.

Quick Reply

Latest