The Student Room Group

The hardest A Level subject?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Surprised Latin hasn't featured yet... Then again, I suppose only those who like it (like me) or are naturally good at it take it... :smile: I heard Chemistry is awful, and I'm so glad I'm not taking Physics...
Definitely Klingon. Those pharyngeal fricatives got me every time.
Original post by hellomoto170
Out of interest for people who say Chemistry, is AS just as hard or is A2 the real killer? I plan on doing it for AS then dropping it, will I still struggle?

AS is ridiculously hard in the sense that they tell you all of GCSE is a lie and you have to get your head around whats actually really happening!

but A2 is a killer as well because the sheer amount of content almost blows out your brains! :L

dont let that put you off tho - its an amazing subject :biggrin: i loved it! and going on to do a chemistry based course at uni! :biggrin:

So IMO sciences and maths are the hardest - so much logic and content to learn :smile:
Reply 43
I did my AS exams this year and got an A in English Literature (considered one of the hardest A-Levels) and surprisingly a U in Business Studies (a classic ''soft option'' like Media Studies).

I found Business Studies the hardest. Mind you, I'm doing the CIE exam board which is considered the hardest A-Level exam board as it has an international reputation and no coursework.
Reply 44
Original post by tripleeagle
haha this is so true. I got a D yesterday :rolleyes:

I see you chose to omit this from your spoiler; oh, the vanity!. You know you have to include it on your UCAS application, yes?
Reply 45
Further additional maths... M5 S3? dont like the sound of that...
Reply 46
Chemistry is probably the hardest of the sciences since there's lots of content and also a lot of logic/understanding. It depends what you're good at though, you could find essay-based subjects hard but sciences easy and vice versa. I find in essay based subjects you can bull**** your way to a good grade whereas in sciences if you don't know it, there's no way of getting the mark. I've only just got AS resuls though.
Original post by bramz19
I see you chose to omit this from your spoiler; oh, the vanity!. You know you have to include it on your UCAS application, yes?

I haven't got a full AS in it yet, so I don't have to include it on my UCAS application nor do I choose to include it in my signature.
Definately further maths, FP2, FP3 and FP4 are so hard . People find c3 and c4 hard and they seem easy when you do further maths modules yet the grade boundaries are usually higher in the further maths modules. Getting a good grade in it isn't too bad though because you can mess up further modules but then bring it all back up with the relatively easy applied units.
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Only on TSR :flutter:

I got a C in it at AS, actually. Hence why eventually ending up with high grades, after struggling so much, was a surprise!

Probably should have phrased it better.
Music by a long shot.
Reply 51
AQA Biology. I finished my A levels last year and after the whole shrew fiasco, I realised that course is nothing more than a grade lottery (when I did it anyway).
Reply 52
Chemistry, by quite a way. I realised about half way through the year that I knew nothing of the syllabus and so crammed like hell for about 4 months solid. It was absolute hell, and I still only managed to scrape an A by literally one UMS. :|
Reply 53
It really comes down to what you're good at. I mean you could get 100% in Further Maths, but not have a chance in Music. etc.

However once you get out of the core subjects and into less 'traditional' subjects it has to be agreed that these are much less challenging for all people; e.g. Media
Reply 54
Definitely ICT with WJEC

I got A in Accounts Maths and Eco.
The amount effort I put in to the 3 subjects combined I feel that I put more effort in ICT. Especially with the harsh marking.

I got 75/80 for the coursework which I was lucky for it to only be 69/80 for UMS. They normally take off around 12-15 from your raw mark.

Any other subject 100% would be a guaranteed A* but not in WJEC ICT !!!!!!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Well I've only just done my AS levels and i got:

Chemistry - A
Maths - A
Physics - B
Psychology - A

I consistently found physics the hardest throughout the year. Maybe because I found it duller and barely paid attention throughout the year, but it was still hardest. I'll probably drop Psychology though as physics will be better applying for a degree/masters in Chemistry, which is my favourite subject. Also, psychology was actually the hardest to revise out of the subjects I did. It wasn't the most difficult stuff to learn, but there was ALOT of content.
Reply 56
Original post by Mike93L

Original post by Mike93L
Chemistry is probably the hardest of the sciences since there's lots of content and also a lot of logic/understanding. It depends what you're good at though, you could find essay-based subjects hard but sciences easy and vice versa. I find in essay based subjects you can bull**** your way to a good grade whereas in sciences if you don't know it, there's no way of getting the mark. I've only just got AS resuls though.

Utter nonsense.
Original post by lubus
F maths, anyone thats done it will agree

I disagree
Deffo Further Maths. Not as many people take it as Chemistry or whatever, so people will rarely mention it here, but it is brain hurtingly difficult at times
Well, according to my results Maths, Chemistry and Physics are the hardest A levels.

Either that or I just flopped... horribly.

Quick Reply

Latest