The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by Jeen
I got ABB in my A-levels and didn't get into dentistry here :frown:. I was really upset but M&D gave me another shot when I didn't get in a second time and helped me get into a Dental school. I did the M&D pre-Med course last year and am now studying dentistry in Spain :biggrin: .

Most of my friends on the course DID get into the medical/dental schools they wanted and some even got into the 2nd year!! I think some of the comments on this are a bit unfair judging from my experience. I got a lot of support from them and the teachers are really well qualified! I feel like they did everything in their power to help me.

I know for a fact they do have partnerships otherwise I wouldn’t be in Spain right now :wink:. Have a look on their website to see the letters!!!

I think you should be wary about some of the comments and also aware that some of the harsh comments might have been from students who didn’t do as well as they wanted to or lost their money cause they dropped out!! But on the other side of it, me and my friends from last year are quite happy actually :smile: and I feel like if it wasn’t for Medipathways I wouldn’t be where I am right now.

I’m happy to help you guys out if you got any questions and I think a few of my friends wouldn’t mind either! But my advise to you would be to ring them up directly and talk to them and find out for yourself!! Bare in mind their course is also university validated and so they are heavily moderated and so definitely NOT a scam!!

Hope this helps :smile:

well, as far as I know most people there chose another dentistry school in Spain and applied separately from Medipathways and majority were not satisfied at all I was lucky to leave this course early.
The reason that I am writing here is just to warn others and make them to think twice before making a big mistake.
this is just a business! that's it.
Original post by mahan93
Hi guys

I'm currently on a gap year but will be starting the A104 course in september 2013, so I've gone through the process and have some knowledge about how things work, so if you have any questions about the application process of this course, I will try and answer them the best I can.

BTW good luck with your applications :smile:

hi, can you possibly email me your personal statement? my email address is [email protected]. i am also on a gap year and would definitely to get into medicine this year!

Any help would be much appreciated!
HELP!!
I cant find Durham, East anglia or nottinghams 6 year medicine programmes on the ucas site! can someone tell me whats going on.
Original post by Rupa Patel
I have just finished my A Levels and am taking a gap year. I am going to apply to study medicine for 2013 entry. But I am going to have to apply for the foundation year course, because I dont have the right subjects. I need some help regarding my personal statement.

I have done some work experience in a dentist and wanted to know whether I can write about this in my personal statement? And I need some help with the 'why medicine question', most applicants will talk about how A level biology and chemistry has made them want to study medicine. I have to say why I want to change from my subjects (Maths, ICT, Business Studies, and AS Physics) to medicine. I can't find any personal statements from people who have applied for the foundation year course, in order to get some guidance.

Any help will be much appreciated
Thanks

Actually we really advise against this :wink:

Just be honest! Why do you want to study medicine?
Reply 224
Original post by mahan93
You have pretty strong GCSEs which dare I say gives you an advantage over other candidates, there are other options such as southampton and nottingham, but they all do their selection in stages so first is accademic which they look at your GCSE and predicted grades and if you have a good reason why you didnt reach your full potential and got lower grades than you should have got then that'll be fine; if you pass that then its things like your work experience and things like that which you have a very strong history of so my bet is if you are predicted what they are looking for then you have a good chance of getting an interview, i mean i was interviewed for both UEA and soton and know how it all goes so if you got any question about stuff like that drop me a messgae and i tell you as much as i can :smile:

hi if you dont mind me asking did you get offers from both UEA and soton? and if so what were the offer grades. Also is i possible for me too look at your personal statement. i have finished mine i would just like too see the standard to which i need for them too offer me an interview. i really want an offer from these 2 universitys for these courses :smile:
Original post by BethaneyJ
Actually we really advise against this :wink:

Just be honest! Why do you want to study medicine?

I've done my ps, I left it out.
Original post by Rupa Patel
I've done my ps, I left it out.

Fantastic! :biggrin:
How do I have to prove that I am the first generation in my family to enter university?
Original post by FootyMad123
How do I have to prove that I am the first generation in my family to enter university?

For southampton it is just a tick box on a form that you sign. If they want more proof they'll ask but they shouldn't do.
For foundatiom medicine courses what sort of UKCAT scores should be good ?
Original post by sandeep0767
For foundatiom medicine courses what sort of UKCAT scores should be good ?

Depends on the course. BM6 only requires you to take it and uses it for comparison, but doesn't have a cut off or put much weight on it :smile:
Reply 231
Original post by mahan93
check the Southampton option or the Nottingham one, I'm sure they are CCC-BBC

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/mhs/undergraduate-courses/routes/foundation-medicine/medicinefy.aspx

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/medicine/ug/BM6/eligibility#entry

all foundation years are done in stages so its not all about your grades that's only your academic stage so make sure you are covered from all aspects

sorry for late reply but anyways thanks! Did you have loads of work experience when applying to nottingham?And can i get some advice on what to include in my personal statment.
Original post by Rim991
sorry for late reply but anyways thanks! Did you have loads of work experience when applying to nottingham?And can i get some advice on what to include in my personal statment.

Advice for People Writing their Medicine Personal Statements

This might help :smile: Do you mean in general or for Nottingham?
Reply 233
Original post by BethaneyJ
Advice for People Writing their Medicine Personal Statements

This might help :smile: Do you mean in general or for Nottingham?

thanks but yes something for notts would be appreciated its where i want to go.
I'm going to bump this a little as it has got lost.
Hi I am currently studying Psychology, Sociology and BTEC health and social care. I've decided I want to study Medicine and found out about this foundation year in Clinical Sciences. I only achieved 1 A, 4 B's and 8 C's and GCSE, would this be an appropriate course for me to take in order to pursue a career within the medical field.

Also can someone with knowledge regarding this course explain the application process for this particular course at Bradford/Leeds.
On successful completion of the foundation in Clinical Sciences/Medicine course am i guaranteed a place in medical school?

Secondly will Leeds medical school judge my application based on my performance of the foundation year or will they judge my application along with my GCSE grades and A levels?

Many thanks.
Original post by mariya101
On successful completion of the foundation in Clinical Sciences/Medicine course am i guaranteed a place in medical school?

Secondly will Leeds medical school judge my application based on my performance of the foundation year or will they judge my application along with my GCSE grades and A levels?

Many thanks.

Here's some information on our wiki page, which has a link to the website which should have more information for you :smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Access_to_Medicine#University_of_Bradford

If you get really stuck and can't find anybody to answer your questions, don't be afraid to contact the university directly to ask them :smile:
Reply 238

Many thanks.

You must score at least 70% in the foundation year to be ELIGABLE for an interview at Leeds. Your application (grades, personal statement and tutor reference) will then be sent off for Leeds to consider you for interview. Last year about 40 got the grades and only about 30 were interviewed so getting the grade by no means guarantees you an interview. Leeds will then hand out offers to a MAXIMUM of 20 people after interview.

To answer your second question Leeds are only given your grades achieved during the foundation year and do no know your GCSEs, Alevels or any other previous qualification.

Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 239

Many thanks.

I've moved your thread here if you're looking for it. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending