The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by ilem
Has anyone here got any experience with the Dundee pre-med year A104 and how competitive it is compared to normal 5 year courses?

It'll be competitive, but I don't have any numbers on me to confirm whether it's more or less competitive than the 5 year programme. Even if there are fewer applicants per place I imagine it'll be more difficult to justify the decision to study medicine while at the same time having no science Highers or A-Levels, so from that perspective it may prove more difficult.
Original post by tobnot
Yeah it's pretty tough.... I've just finished my foundation year at Southampton as part of the BM6 course, and during my application cycle there were 780 applicants for the 30 places available on the foundation year.

Are you starting 1st year of BM5 this year then? If so we will be in the same year group!
Reply 262
Original post by SarahGummer
Are you starting 1st year of BM5 this year then? If so we will be in the same year group!

Yeah I will be!! Southampton and especially the uni/med school are amazing! You'll love it... What's your background? Have you applied straight from A-Levels?
Original post by tobnot
Yeah I will be!! Southampton and especially the uni/med school are amazing! You'll love it... What's your background? Have you applied straight from A-Levels?

Yay! That is so great to hear! Nah I'm going to be 25 when we start in September, i'm a registered nurse at the mo, i'm so unbelievably excited to start! Did you start BM6 from Alevels? Are you from Somerset? My husband is from Minehead :smile:
Reply 264
Hey, you'll be fine with them grades. It's for people who don't meet direct entry criteria to get into medicine. I got this info of the lady who teaches there. Im going for it as well, i do sociology, history, english lit/lang and btec science. But i've been trying to find someone who has already done it.
Original post by bkw321
Hey, you'll be fine with them grades. It's for people who don't meet direct entry criteria to get into medicine. I got this info of the lady who teaches there. Im going for it as well, i do sociology, history, english lit/lang and btec science. But i've been trying to find someone who has already done it.

I'm speaking to a few people on here who have done the course to get a better understanding of it. Also i'm slightly worried because im not sure i will be able to achieve the 70% on first attempt as I do not have any scientific knowledge and may find the modules challenging... And you should visit Bradfords open day to ask any questions you have, Good luck!
Reply 266
Original post by tvomp
For God sake Do Not join this. I was cheated £ 5000 last year. I sent mail to all the Universities of UK, what beneift will i get after doing this course. Leaving aside Brighton all the university wrote me back to leave that course if i want to apply to their university. One of the Uni mentioned to save myself from such scams. I took a gap year and did Maths and got a seat in Medicine. Presently I am in touch with UCAS that why are they promoting such organisation. They have sent me an e-mail. They simple say that they write a disclaimer. If you are intersted in reading this mail and mails of different universities. You can send me your e-mail id . I shall forward you the same.
As far as their claim of Euorpean medical school. I called up those schools and they are not even aware of this course or this body. You can call them directly. They probably are one of the agents like so many others.
You ask the list of students admitted through them in the last years. ask them how many got entry into second year of the course in East Europe. These should be on the top of any website if they are performing well.

I just received a conditional offer for the two year Bachelor of Medical Science degree through MediPathways and I am currently being considered for the Medical degree at Cardenal Herrera uni in Spain.
I would really like to see the emails from Ucas and the universities before I make my decision..
For Nottingham, Southampton,University of East Anglia yo need to fit some criteria

I fit the general criteria of coming from a poor area and an underachieving school, however
you also have to fit the criteria of your parents receiving a means-tested benefit, i.e income support, JSA, employment and support

My mum has means tested benefits for pretty much all my life, and was recently on JSA. However she recently (month ago) started studying a HND (higher national diploma) and doesn't receive them anymore. Does this make her the first generation to go into higher education?

Can i still apply to these foundation courses, because, my family has been in receipt of these benefits for a very long time, but now we don't. Do I need to be receipt of the benefits at the TIME of application? Also can I still apply. becasuse my family household income is going to be even lower than before.

thanks guys :smile:
Original post by ilikebigbuttshaha
For Nottingham, Southampton,University of East Anglia yo need to fit some criteria

I fit the general criteria of coming from a poor area and an underachieving school, however
you also have to fit the criteria of your parents receiving a means-tested benefit, i.e income support, JSA, employment and support

My mum has means tested benefits for pretty much all my life, and was recently on JSA. However she recently (month ago) started studying a HND (higher national diploma) and doesn't receive them anymore. Does this make her the first generation to go into higher education?

Can i still apply to these foundation courses, because, my family has been in receipt of these benefits for a very long time, but now we don't. Do I need to be receipt of the benefits at the TIME of application? Also can I still apply. becasuse my family household income is going to be even lower than before.

thanks guys :smile:

You will need to check the criteria of each university, (Soton don't look at your school for example), and see what sort of evidence they want. They will most likely ask for proof within a certain date range, however I would suggest you contact each school asking if you are eligible.
Reply 269
I'm a bit confused as to whether I would be considered as a first generation applicant to higher education. My father went to university for one year before dropping out, so he did not get a degree. My sister on the other hand has recently graduated. Do you think I would still be classed as a first generation applicant? :s-smilie:
Reply 270
Original post by Jester08
I'm a bit confused as to whether I would be considered as a first generation applicant to higher education. My father went to university for one year before dropping out, so he did not get a degree. My sister on the other hand has recently graduated. Do you think I would still be classed as a first generation applicant? :s-smilie:

It's only if your parents went to university....and since your dad never graduated he hasn't completed higher education, so your are a first gen applicant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 271
Original post by bad8oy
It's only if your parents went to university....and since your dad never graduated he hasn't completed higher education, so your are a first gen applicant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okay then, thank you! :smile:
Reply 272
Original post by Rose7
as a piece of advice, stay away from medipathways scam!
i was at this course and i'm telling you that it is nothing but a big fraud, all they say in their website is not true,

Hey, I was thinking about this course and I am really unsure about it as not many people have done it. Can you tell me why you say it is a big fraud? I dont want to make a bad decision.

Thanks
Reply 273
Original post by tvomp
For God sake Do Not join this. I was cheated £ 5000 last year. I sent mail to all the Universities of UK, what beneift will i get after doing this course. Leaving aside Brighton all the university wrote me back to leave that course if i want to apply to their university. One of the Uni mentioned to save myself from such scams. I took a gap year and did Maths and got a seat in Medicine. Presently I am in touch with UCAS that why are they promoting such organisation. They have sent me an e-mail. They simple say that they write a disclaimer. If you are intersted in reading this mail and mails of different universities. You can send me your e-mail id . I shall forward you the same.
As far as their claim of Euorpean medical school. I called up those schools and they are not even aware of this course or this body. You can call them directly. They probably are one of the agents like so many others.
You ask the list of students admitted through them in the last years. ask them how many got entry into second year of the course in East Europe. These should be on the top of any website if they are performing well.

I was thinking about this course, but you say its bad choice. Can you tell me more about why it is a bad choice?

Latest

Trending

Trending