The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If I lived like 10 miles south I would be able to do that and Manchester's my first choice, life sucks.

It's kind of annoying because it gives people such a better chance and most people would meet those requirements if they lived in Manchester.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 121
Yeh that's true. Only few people get into it anyway. And if you do.the 55 hours aren't easy and your not allowed to resit if I'm correct unless its a valid reason. I hope I get in
Original post by WaseemB
Yeh that's true. Only few people get into it anyway. And if you do.the 55 hours aren't easy and your not allowed to resit if I'm correct unless its a valid reason. I hope I get in

What are the 55 hours?
Reply 123
Resit A levels I mean and here's a brochure link
http://documents.manchester.ac.uk/display.aspx?DocID=8551
Reply 124
Hey, I'm actually currently part of the Manchester Access Programme (and feel very lucky to be).... Anyway I heard you get to do a decision manchester form which means you will find out if you will get an interview or not....(that you alrdy know i guess).. and also they will not look at your UKCAT score which is also really advantageous...
Original post by WaseemB
Hi there,

This subject is something that has been bugging for a while and I have never really found a full answer for it. How does the MAP (Manchester Access Program) benefit anyone applying to Manchester University for Medicine (A106)

The MAP website itself only tells you general info about the program but not really much about particular courses.

This is what I have been informed however regarding Medicine: (correct me if I'm wrong)

The entry requirements become ABB instead of AAA if you complete the MAP course which takes 55 hours.

You receive 40 UCAS points

If you meet the ABB requirement you get an Interview automatically

An annual scholarship for the duration of your undergraduate studies is given if you get into the Manchester

Any comments appreciated :smile::smile::smile:

You're guaranteed an interview if you pass the programme and your offer is lowered to ABB, what could be a greater benefit? So what if you have to do 55 hours of work for it, they aren't going to hand a guaranteed interview on a plate wihout you having to do any work now are they.
Reply 127
Original post by reuse-this-bag
You're guaranteed an interview if you pass the programme and your offer is lowered to ABB, what could be a greater benefit? So what if you have to do 55 hours of work for it, they aren't going to hand a guaranteed interview on a plate wihout you having to do any work now are they.

Yeh it is. Just wanted to see if anyone else could clarify whether that was the case.
Reply 128
Original post by theplaya
Hey, I'm actually currently part of the Manchester Access Programme (and feel very lucky to be).... Anyway I heard you get to do a decision manchester form which means you will find out if you will get an interview or not....(that you alrdy know i guess).. and also they will not look at your UKCAT score which is also really advantageous...

Thanks! :biggrin: thats really helpful.
How's the Map going for you?
Reply 129
I've wanted to study medicine since my teens (now 21) and don't have a levels, I want to go for a medical access course. If I take that and find that no unis accept me onto their degree program, can I use that to enter nursing?
Why wont they accept you? Which access course are you looking to do? which part of the country are you from?
Reply 131
If you do well enough on your access course all universities should consider you. A lot of universities are very understanding when it comes to mature students.
Well I did Access and have a place at Kings for Medicine, whilst other people gained offers at other medical and dental schools. Whether you get a place or not depends on your personal statement and interview performance, not the fact you are doing an access course.
Reply 133
Thanks for the advice, does anyone actually know the answer to my question though? I'm willing to move, I want to go to London, if I take the access to medicine, can I do nursing? Keep doors open! Does anyone know how to apply?
Reply 134
Original post by Insomniac Biker
Well I did Access and have a place at Kings for Medicine, whilst other people gained offers at other medical and dental schools. Whether you get a place or not depends on your personal statement and interview performance, not the fact you are doing an access course.

Hi Insomniac biker, how did you find the medicine access course? Kings would be a fairytale come true! What was the access course like? Was it practical at all?
Reply 135
I think there are separate access courses for medicine and nursing? Well there are up here? Nursing and medicine are two completely different careers. Only thing they have in common in we work in hospitals to look after patients!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by willowmay
Hi Insomniac biker, how did you find the medicine access course? Kings would be a fairytale come true! What was the access course like? Was it practical at all?

Hi Willowmay.............I found the course to be extremely demanding, not just in the academic content but also in the volume of work. Assignments are due in nearly every week and we have to learn quite a few subjects (maths,physics,chemistry,biology,I.T and study skills). The tutors are extremely helpful and are there to help you, not to be an obstacle to you!!! I highly recommend it. If anyone requires more info, please feel free to message me.

p.s. the access course at Lambeth is held in high esteem by many universities, hence I got two offers out of my two choices....and that was without a days work experience!!!!!
Reply 137
hey, i'm in year 12 and have just finished my exams. I do biology, history, politics and geography. Initially i was fully set on doing history and politics at uni but recently have become so jealous of people doing work exp at hospitals and looking to apply for medicine etcc, and now regret fully not taking chemistry and following that path. I've heard that foundation medicine is offered for people looking to do medicine but don't have the right subjects. I reckon I can get four As at a level (maybe even a* in history/politics) and my gcses as okay, i got an a in maths, a in biology and a*s in chemistry and physics. Im not from a 'disadvantaged' school or anything (im not sure if thats what foundation medicine is targeted towards).
Basically i'm wondering if I have already lost all hope at becoming a doctor? I might have to take a gap year to do some medical work experience (atm i have none). Id like to hear if anyone can advise / has none a foundation year, etc. Thank you! xx
You won't be eligible for access courses since you have done Biology, nor foundation years since you have not done chemistry.

Basically for Access courses you can't have done any sciences, and for foundation years the requirements are pretty much the same as applying normally but the academic requirements are reduced.

However you could do an accelerated Chemistry a level if your school offers that and do it in one year, or do a biological sciences degree and then apply for graduate medicine (which is competitive but you only have to pay tuition for one year), or undergrad medicine (but it will be very expensive).
I don't think that the person above is correct, for Manchester you can get in to the foundation year as long as you don't have a chemistry a level.

Latest

Trending

Trending