The Student Room Group

What UMS scores should I be aiming for?

I'm hoping to do either Maths/Physics at Uni, and will probably apply for top unis including Oxbridge, Warwick etc. I've just finished my GCSEs and took C1 and C2 a year early (which I now regret) and got 98 in C1 and 87 in C2. Obviously I know my C1 score is very, and 87 in C2 is also good, but is it worth retaking C2 next year to try and get a higher score?

I've heard Cambridge are particularly strict on getting good module scores (average of over 95) but this is just what I've heard - I don't know if it's true. I've also heard that retakes are pointless as unis look at your first takes a lot more now. Is this true? Is it worth retaking my C2 next year? (I know 87 isn't bad, I know I can do better though). If I do well in my other modules (I'm taking Further Maths as well), will it make up for it? It's just that there are so many people I know who have been getting pretty much 95-100% in all of their modules :frown:

Thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
I don't really know about what Cambridge accept/ reject, as I have just finished AS levels. However, it is possible to make up for (although it is a good score) the 87 to get a 95 average, especially as you have taken it a year early.I also do further maths, and I got an 88 in D1 but now have an average of over 95 (albeit only just), so it is definitely doable. Also, the fact that you did so well when taking it early indicates that you will be able to get good marks if you work hard. However, i guess you will have more time next year having already done two modules that everyone else will need to do, so if you feel that you can do better than 87 when resitting then it may be worth re-doing. You should e-mail the universities admissions to find out their stance on re-sits if you do plan to do that though. :smile:
It wouldn't be a bad idea to resit it to pull up your average, C2 should seem very easy once you have moved onto C3 and C4. :smile:

For maths at Trinity last year the average average score was 96% in relevant A-Level exams for applicants (from what I remember of the feedback), so as I only had an average of 90% in A-Level maths this was a hindrance.
Reply 3
Original post by saey
Gonna watch this seeing as I will find it usefull.

But for MATHS at Cambridge, the do care a bit about module scores, but at the same time they will probably give you an interview if all your AS grades are 'A'.
On the same level, if you only just scraped an 'A' in your modules you might want to consider applying to a less competetive college (EG not Trinity).

As for actually getting a place, a lot is based on your interview, how well your problem solving abilities are -your AS module scores do not reflect your problem solving abilities.

As for re-sits, you need to submit your UCAS form by the 15th October (for cambridge), which is before resits can take place. As such, it is ONLY worth re-sitting if you think you may not get an A* overall if you do not re-sit. Otherwise, don't bother re-sitting.

Physics will be different.

Original post by carlos the third
I don't really know about what Cambridge accept/ reject, as I have just finished AS levels. However, it is possible to make up for (although it is a good score) the 87 to get a 95 average, especially as you have taken it a year early.I also do further maths, and I got an 88 in D1 but now have an average of over 95 (albeit only just), so it is definitely doable. Also, the fact that you did so well when taking it early indicates that you will be able to get good marks if you work hard. However, i guess you will have more time next year having already done two modules that everyone else will need to do, so if you feel that you can do better than 87 when resitting then it may be worth re-doing. You should e-mail the universities admissions to find out their stance on re-sits if you do plan to do that though. :smile:

Original post by jameswhughes
It wouldn't be a bad idea to resit it to pull up your average, C2 should seem very easy once you have moved onto C3 and C4. :smile:

For maths at Trinity last year the average average score was 96% in relevant A-Level exams for applicants (from what I remember of the feedback), so as I only had an average of 90% in A-Level maths this was a hindrance.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm more likely to do Physics instead of Maths - would module scores in maths count as much if I were to apply for Physics at uni? I understand that uni physics contains a lot of maths, so would they look at module scores?
Original post by cole45

Original post by cole45
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm more likely to do Physics instead of Maths - would module scores in maths count as much if I were to apply for Physics at uni? I understand that uni physics contains a lot of maths, so would they look at module scores?

Yes, definitely.
If anything, Maths will probably be considered more important, as it's a harder A-Level. e.g Imperial College London specifies that the A* in their A*AA Physics offer is to be in Maths, and you can get an A in Physics.

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/physics/entryrequirements
Reply 6
Original post by jameswhughes
If anything, Maths will probably be considered more important, as it's a harder A-Level. e.g Imperial College London specifies that the A* in their A*AA Physics offer is to be in Maths, and you can get an A in Physics.

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/physics/entryrequirements

Do you know if universities even care if I resit - i.e. will they only look at my first score in C2, even if I get a better one in the resit? I've heard that with increasing competition for uni places, they're only looking at first sits. Would doing it a year early affect it?
If you're just going into year 12, and you retake C2 next Jan/June, I don't think the universities will know that you retook it, because when you apply to UCAS you'll have the results of your second attempt.

I got an average of 97 in Maths, and 92 in Further Maths, and I got into Imperial for Maths. I think they care more about any admissions tests/overall grades than specific module marks. In fact, none of the uni's I applied to (Oxford, Imperial, York, Liverpool, Birmingham) asked for them. In fact, the only place that emailed to ask (that I know of) is UCL.

If anything, they'll look upon you doing it early favourably. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Ten Green Bottles
If you're just going into year 12, and you retake C2 next Jan/June, I don't think the universities will know that you retook it, because when you apply to UCAS you'll have the results of your second attempt.

I got an average of 97 in Maths, and 92 in Further Maths, and I got into Imperial for Maths. I think they care more about any admissions tests/overall grades than specific module marks. In fact, none of the uni's I applied to (Oxford, Imperial, York, Liverpool, Birmingham) asked for them. In fact, the only place that emailed to ask (that I know of) is UCL.

If anything, they'll look upon you doing it early favourably. :smile:

But isn't it compulsory to state all the grades you've got, even if you've taken resits? Or because I've taken it a year early, will unis not know about it?
Reply 9
I'm in a similar position to you. I just finished Year 11 and did C1, C2, C3 + M1 in June. My module scores were 100 in C1, 88 in M1 (getting remarked, predicted 97-100), 89 in C2, 92 in C3. I too want to know if you can do resits and still get into Cambridge. The kind of mistakes I made were stupid ones, like not adding properly for a definite integration, or for solving 210 = 220x, doing 220/210 instead of 210/220. Will be keeping an eye on this thread.
Original post by cole45
But isn't it compulsory to state all the grades you've got, even if you've taken resits? Or because I've taken it a year early, will unis not know about it?

You do have to declare your grade if the school has cashed it in, I do believe. But obviously if you resit, when you come to fill in your UCAS form in October of Y13 you should have the better grade, and so you'll put that in instead.

Quick Reply

Latest