The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Is the course fully taught in english?
Reply 61
Can we get details of which institution in India will be able to accept Uk students ? Any idea of living costs and standard of accommodation available in those universities !!
I'm doing dentistry at trinity college dublin at the moment, it's great. You pay around £1900 in tuition fees each year and a chance to have that and accommodation fees covered with a scholarship :smile: Only drawback is that you'll need to sit 4 A2s and get around A*A*AA minimum, however they don't do interviews here so your almost guaranteed a place if you get something around that.
I am a 40yr old man who is seriously considering a career change into either medicine or dentistry. I did two science A levels back in 2000, got As. I never did GCSEs in this country as I completed high school in the Middle East. I have been researching my options if I were to apply for medicine (GEM) or dentistry. I have a BAin Finance (2:1) and an MSc in Management (distinctions in all 8 modules).

Despite the fierce competition for places at UK medical and dental schools, one should try to get in at least on 2 attempts before considering going to Eastern Europe or Malta to study a medical degree.

Some1 asked about the website to apply for medicine/dentistry in the EU, try visiting [www.studymedicineeurope.com]. This site will give u the option to enquite for either medicine or dentistry in 3 different countries (Romania, Bulgaria, etc).

After you post an enquiry with your contact details, a representative from their London office will contact you to take u through the process.

One piece of advice on making a comparison between UK and EU medical/dental degrees. You must NOT use cost of tuition and living as a basis for comparing the two options, due to the following:

1- You need to sit one of the many apptitude tests to qualify for a place in the UK, apart from Birmingham university. You don't need to sit such exams when applying for a place in the EU.

2- Competition for places in the UK is extremely fierce, whereas in the EU you are almost guaranteed a place.

3- You dont need to bother learning a new language as part of your medical degree in the UK, you do in EU. It's one thing being passionate about learning foreign langs, but ine must NEVER confuse learning a language for fun and doing so as part of a corriculum, in the latter case if you fail to master it to an acceptable level, this could have an adverse effect on your academic progression!!

4- Although tuition costs around £9,500 per year in the UK, student are only liable to a third of it, the rest is paid by the NHS under their bursary scheme. Whereas in the EU, students are liable to the 100% tuition fees, plus cost of living, plus cost of airplane tickets when shuttling between the EU and the UK to visit family/relatives.

5- When you study in te UK, you dont risk feeling home-sick for 6-yrs abroad!

The above are just a few points for prospective students to consider upon deciding whether to saddle up for 2 serious attempts at trying to get into medical/dental schools here in the UK or giving up before the start line to suffer financial hardship/ boredom and unnecessary inconveniencing requirements for 6 years in good old EU.

Good luck all.
Eddie
Hello

If you would like to get information of study in a Hungarian Medical University feel free to contact me. As a Hungarian I can give you the most useful information on it.
Original post by StudyinHungary
Hello

If you would like to get information of study in a Hungarian Medical University feel free to contact me. As a Hungarian I can give you the most useful information on it.

Hi dear,
Thanks for replying tothis thread. I don need more information about studying dentistry in English in Hungary.

May we communicate directly on Whatsapp for a more prompt response?

My number is +447448267968

Thanks,
Eddie
Reply 66
Hi does anyone know if dentistry at Universidad Europea de Madrid recognised by the GDC?
Reply 67
I'm in a situation where my exams haven't gone so great, haven't received exam results yet but I want to be prepared for the worst. I just wanted to know what studying dentistry in Europe would be like so that I can make choices for my future.