The Student Room Group

Examples of when remarks have gone right?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Oh yes. Although to be fair, which I imagine you don't feel like being right now, mistakes are less common than you might expect, given the ENORMOUS number of people/papers/marks involved.

Well still, I was hoping for a much better grade :/ Sent it off for a remark
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 81
Original post by SarahDylan
Does anybody have any stories about people getting papers remarked and having a good outcome? Apparently all the examples on the exam board websites show scripts losing marks instead of gaining them. Personally, I need three more marks to win my place back for my dream course at my dream uni. Does anybody know any stories?

Last year my History AS was remarked. I was 2 marks off an A, and I went up 8 marks. My teachers couldn't believe it.
I had a friend that did OCR AS English last year who got both units as Ds. Remarked to Bs I think. It's disgusting how stupid the marking system is. On a slightly related note in History (AS) this year I got 96/100 for one unit then the other 61/100 1 Mark passed C. I thought this exam went well certainly not a low C standard. Remark/resit or get the paper back for this September ? (Predicted A in that exam by the way)
Reply 83
general studies module went from a c to full marks
I need two more marks on my history to get a C so i'm having that remarked, and i would have to drop like 36 marks to get a E , so i've got nothing to lose really apart from £52 (which may i point out gets refunded if your grade goes up) and i've also paid the same for a General Studies remark as in the 4 papers i got A,B,D and then suddenly a U in one, which brought it down to a D i mean wtf is with that !? I'm in the same boat as you , just one grade difference, 10 pts in fact, would get me into the dream course at the dream uni i so wanted to go to .

Im doing a different course at a uni an hour away now, and i wanted to be by the seaside :frown: Damn you aberystwyth !
Reply 85
Original post by SarahDylan
Does anybody have any stories about people getting papers remarked and having a good outcome? Apparently all the examples on the exam board websites show scripts losing marks instead of gaining them. Personally, I need three more marks to win my place back for my dream course at my dream uni. Does anybody know any stories?

I was one mark off a grade in a subject a few years ago in A level was was able to get that mark by giving a module a remark (But I was quiet confident in that module and remember being very happy with that exam). Saying that I tried another remark in another subject and lost marks.

I remember a teacher saying there was no point but if your a mark or two off from a grade I would say try for a remark in a module you felt confident in. It will improve your grade best case and worst case you will stay the same grade and minus a bit of money but its better then regretting not having it remarked.
(edited 12 years ago)
My friends AS English paper went up by 31 UMS last year. I'm not joking.

If you don't agree, challenge it. Otherwise you will always wonder ''what if''.

Original post by Lilyful
I got a C in my English OCR last year, then knew something was up, got a remark and it went up by 18 MARKS (:angry: bloody examiners) to a B, which meant I could go to Warwick after all :tongue:

Was that for your coursework?

I reckon mine will go up by a similiar level if my school actually agree to remark the damn thing :rant:
Do it! You have nothing to lose really (you're only 3 marks off a higher grade so its very unlikely you'll slide a grade). At AS I was 1 mark off an A in English and went up 6 marks on a remark and 2 marks off a B in history and went up 3 marks. I wasn't priority because I was lower 6th but they still came back within like a week which I was impressed with :smile:
Reply 88
One of my friends got an E in his History A2 which cost him his place at Leeds for last year, got a remark and it went up to an A, so Leeds gave him his place for this year coming.
Reply 89
Does anyone know how long a priority remark takes? I've been assured I will get my new result before the 31st but I would like a better estimation..

thanks
Reply 90
Any examples in exams that aren't subjective? I'm looking for one more mark in my Biology EMPA to hit my offer and go to my firm.....
A friend got an E in a History paper, got it remarked and it went up to a C :K:
Reply 92
Original post by Competencies
I've read a number of times in the last few days on here that if you have achieved your offer by 31st August (so you could have your remark done by then) your university has to give you the place.

But hoping for an extra 10 UMS in any subject is asking for a lot but in Maths even more so (unless there was some sort of major error (ie, a question completely unmarked or pages that went unscanned)).

If you think there is no way you could've got a U then perhaps it is worth a remark to check if there has been a big error it's your choice. If you're happy on potentially losing £50 then go for it.

Well I called up the university, and the woman on the phone said that they can't hold my place. The course was in clearing too and has since been removed, so I'm guessing it's full. Has anyone official or knowledgeable said anything on the matter? Or have you just read it in random posts?

Anyone else able to confirm whether a university has to give you your place, regardless of whether the course is now full or not?

10 UMS in a Maths exam is exactly one grade, so it'd only be from an E to a D, which I'm sure isn't underheard of? I just don't get why I was so confident coming out of the exam, and then apparently only half of what I answered was correct.
Reply 93
Original post by maxb123
Does anyone know how long a priority remark takes? I've been assured I will get my new result before the 31st but I would like a better estimation..

thanks

I've heard all sorts! AQA website said within 18 days, but I'm not sure if they meant priority. I've heard everything between a month and less than a week. Hopefully you're right when you say before the 31st!
Original post by Swindan
Well I called up the university, and the woman on the phone said that they can't hold my place. The course was in clearing too and has since been removed, so I'm guessing it's full. Has anyone official or knowledgeable said anything on the matter? Or have you just read it in random posts?

Anyone else able to confirm whether a university has to give you your place, regardless of whether the course is now full or not?

10 UMS in a Maths exam is exactly one grade, so it'd only be from an E to a D, which I'm sure isn't underheard of? I just don't get why I was so confident coming out of the exam, and then apparently only half of what I answered was correct.

The people who were posting it (pretty sure they were moderators also) were certain that if you met your offer by the 31st the university has to give you the place.
Reply 95
Original post by Creeping Cucumber
I had a friend that did OCR AS English last year who got both units as Ds. Remarked to Bs I think. It's disgusting how stupid the marking system is. On a slightly related note in History (AS) this year I got 96/100 for one unit then the other 61/100 1 Mark passed C. I thought this exam went well certainly not a low C standard. Remark/resit or get the paper back for this September ? (Predicted A in that exam by the way)

That happened to me too, A in Unit 1 and C in Unit 2. I think I'm going to get mine remarked, I think you should :smile:
Original post by Jessikat
I got a B in German AS yesterday and am getting it remarked as I was 1 mark away from an A! This is with AQA.

I know someone who got a low D in AQA Geography last year in her AS. She got both papers remarked: one went from a low D to a middle C, and the other went from an E to a C. So I have hope yet...

Hi, i'm in a similar situation and was just wondering which unit at AS are you getting remarked? This is because at my college we have two units in AS and 2 in A2, and for psychology a level i was just 1 mark off an A, but am not sure which unit to get remarked..
Original post by Muffinz
Overall A grade in English Lit - got A2 paper remarked. Went up by 12 marks and got an A* from it and a complete refund!

This happened last year? With which exam board? I would be potentially tempted to do the same, but the only thing is that I think my B in the summer paper was probably deserved... Anyway, congrats on your good fortune!
Has anyone ever had a A level maths module remarked? What are the chances of it going up?
Reply 99
Loving the fact most of these mess ups have been by AQA English Lit which I'm taking next year & is the subject I want to carry on to Uni. Sure instills me with confidence! :sigh:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending