The Student Room Group

Social Work 2012 Entry

Helllo all,

I am hoping to apply for Social Work BA hons this year for the 2012 entry and was hoping if anyone who studies the subject or has been through the application/interview process could help me out? Firstly most uni's are asking for 220-280 points roughly and it states 'from 2 a levels', so does that mean my AS points won't count towards it?

Also what subjects did you do for your A-Levels, and do these subjects have to be closely related to social work itself?

During the interview what sort of questions did they ask?

Are they really strict when it comes to offering offers?

and if you are currently studying the course - what is it like?

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi BPPP,

I'm a current social work student, albeit on the MA course rather than the BA, so I'll try my best to answer your questions.

I've had a very quick browse online (literally 5 mins lol) to see what you meant about the A Level points and the only place I spotted that has an entry requirement as you've described is Chester:

"A minimum of 240 - 260 UCAS points, of which 220 - 240 points must be obtained from GCE A Levels, including a grade C in one subject."

In this case, this would mean they want at least 220 - 240 points to come from full A Levels (so CCC or CCD), and the remaining 20 - 40 points can come from your AS Level. Generally if places specify they want points from A Level or equivalent, this means they will not accept points from AS Levels.

Many universities ask for a social science at A Level (e.g. Psychology, Sociology, Politics). This would provide a useful base for studying social work and would help you to give examples of theories, legislation or areas of study that apply to social work for your personal statement. However, not all universities require this. A more important aspect of social work applications is relevant work experience with children, the elderly and other groups that social workers have involvement with. Universities like to see that social work applicants have some experience that they can apply to the course.

Interviews vary from university to university and may involve a written test, group interview and/or individual interview. There are lots of threads on here and over at the Community Care website forums about social work interviews and the types of questions that are asked, so I would suggest you do a search for those. I had a written test and a group interview. We were given a choice of questions for the written interview relating to different issues in social work (the one i did was about anti-discriminatory practice) and had to write a 40 minute essay trying to bring in theory, policy and legislation. I don't know if this would be as harsh on the BA/BSc courses; a lot of older students apply for the MA so they can be outof practice on writing essays and also a much higher academic standard is expected of MA students. In the group interview, we spoke a little about our work experience and were asked what we thought the relevance of research is in social work. We had been given a newspaper article relevant to social work to read before the interview and then had to discuss it as a group. In a group interview, they're not just looking at what your answer is but how you communicate with others - body language, not talking over people, eye contact, synthesising what other people have said into your points and so on.

Social work has become a very popular course over the last few years. I'd say that this is partly to do with the fact that you get a bursary to study it which is handy when fees and living costs are going up and partly to do with people seeing it as a vocational degree where you'll be guaranteed a job when you're finished (yes it is vocational, but jobs for newly qualified social workers are tough to come by). Offers are harder to come by because of this, and courses fill up quicker than they used to so get your application in early! To give you a little idea, when I applied for my MA in 2009, I managed to get a place in July to start in September; in 2011, the course was full much earlier and the number of applicants had increased three or four-fold.

Personally, I have found the last two years studying social work really tough but definitely worth it. You're constantly learning new things academically and in practice and trying to marry the two together. There's also so much self-reflection involved - what didI do well, what could I do better, if I were in that service user's shoes what would I want, am I allowing my own prejudices into my work, maybe I could have explained that in a more child-friendly way etc etc etc - and I've picked myself to pieces more than I ever thought possible. I've worked some great people on my course who've supported me and challenged me, and some interesting service users on placement who I've really grafted with to see results. There are modules that have really interested me and others that haven't so much. Make sure you look at the different modules available when you're applying to see if what that uni offers is really for you. Placement is such a big part of the course and it's important not to underestimate how hard it is to balance going to uni and doing academic work with going into placement and working at least a 9 - 5 most days of the week. I seriously cannot wait to qualify now and get out there into practice and do the job I've been training to do for what feels like an eternity!

Sorry if that's a bit of a ramble. Please feel free to ask any questions and I'll try my best with them. Also, once you've got a draft PS, I'll be happy to check it through on the PS forum.

Jen xx
Reply 2
Hello Jen,

This is my first time ever replying to a post, so if it's in the wrong place or I am talking to the wrong person than please forgive me:angelblush:

Yesterday I found out (much to my surprise) that I have managed to get a place to study SW BA (hons) at Chichester University, West Sussex.:smile::smile:

After the initial excitement, it has started to hit home exactly how hard it is going to be to study whilst bringing up four children (3, 4, 12 and 16).

At the interview I was told that the hours are 9 'till 5 monday to friday. I have to admit, I didnt realise the hours would be so intensive.

I know you are completing the MA course, but could you offer me any advice on how many hours I will need to study each evening, will I ever see the outside world at weekends and any ideas on how to prepare as best as possible for starting the course (reading material etc).

I hope you don't mind me asking for your advice and I look forward to your reply. sarah (mature student)
Reply 3
Hi I'm looking to do MA social work at salford uni in 2012, have you any idea what funding is available and any tips on getting onto the course? I have good GCSE's and A levels but my current BA im studying is creative writing :-/
Original post by liberty0810
Hello Jen,

This is my first time ever replying to a post, so if it's in the wrong place or I am talking to the wrong person than please forgive me:angelblush:

Yesterday I found out (much to my surprise) that I have managed to get a place to study SW BA (hons) at Chichester University, West Sussex.:smile::smile:

After the initial excitement, it has started to hit home exactly how hard it is going to be to study whilst bringing up four children (3, 4, 12 and 16).

At the interview I was told that the hours are 9 'till 5 monday to friday. I have to admit, I didnt realise the hours would be so intensive.

I know you are completing the MA course, but could you offer me any advice on how many hours I will need to study each evening, will I ever see the outside world at weekends and any ideas on how to prepare as best as possible for starting the course (reading material etc).

I hope you don't mind me asking for your advice and I look forward to your reply. sarah (mature student)

Hi Sarah,

Congratulations on your offer to study! My course has been very demanding, however we do have a fair few mothers of children of varying ages (two have given birth while on the course) who have managed to juggle being a parent and completing the course so it is "do-able". Particularly on placement, you do need to be prepared to work a 9 - 5 at least every day as it's like having a job - whatever hours the workers in the agency you're placed in work, you'll be working too.

Different universities have different hours, different workloads and different recommended reading, so it's difficult for me to predict how many hours you'd need to study a night or whether you'll actually be in uni as much as they've warned at interview (I would have thought you'd have at least a half day off a week but don't take my word as gospel!). I have never done a certain amount of studying in a night or in a week, as I just tend to do what needs to be done when it needs to be done (if that makes sense). I'm single and living with my parents so appreciate that grabbing an hour an evening after the kids are in bed to study might be more appropriate for you than my intensive week of researching and writing an essay before the deadline. If you will be commuting to uni on public transport, I'd recommend taking an article or textbook to read en route. I'm sure I've written some very general book recommendations elsewhere on here, so I'll search through my old posts and copy and paste them for you.

I have managed to have a bit of a social life through the course, but haven't seen my friends half as much as I used to when I was working due to both a lack of time and a lack of money. I've manged to keep up volunteering with my Brownie pack most weeks as well. Do be prepared to be doing coursework through Christmas and Easter, or to miss out on the odd night out. The friends who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind!

Hope that helps a bit!

Jen x
Original post by jakajak1
Hi I'm looking to do MA social work at salford uni in 2012, have you any idea what funding is available and any tips on getting onto the course? I have good GCSE's and A levels but my current BA im studying is creative writing :-/

Hi Jakajak,

Normally, social work MA students are funded by the NHS bursary and/or any savings and earnings they may have. Unlike undergraduate degrees, no help will be available from Student Finance England. There have been mumblings that the bursary might not be available next year, so keep your eyes and ears open for further news.

Some universities do ask for an undergraduate degree in social sciences or give lower offers to those with social sciences degrees, so do be aware of that when applying. Others don't so you'll be just fine with a creative writing degree. Think about some of the transferable skills you have, like the ability to write well for reports (social work is a LOT of paperwork!). All MA courses ask for relevant work experience (usually a minimum of 6 months) to show that applicants have some understanding of what they are getting into. If you don't have this, take a look at www.do-it.org.uk for some volunteer work or at local council websites for unqualified social worker/care worker/social work assistant posts. Make sure you've done some background reading about social work. The Community Care website is a good place to start for articles on what is happening in social work and social care today. No-one expects applicants to have the knowledge that a qualified worker does, but no-one expects you to be a completely blank slate either. Everyone on my course has brought different work experience, life experience, prejudices and opinions to the table and we've all had to be open to reflecting on these and having them challenged by others.

Hope that makes sense and helps a little. My brain's not with it today so check out a few of my older posts and see if there's more detail in those!

Jen x
Reply 6
Original post by jellybeanjen

Thank you soooo much for that Jen! It was very helpful! Also just wanted to ask, I finished my A2 exams this year but i really want to improve my results before i actually apply to uni so this year i'll be retaking a few units, will this affect the uni asking me for a interview because of my previous grades and due to the fact that I'll be in college for a third year?
Reply 7
Original post by BPPP
Helllo all,

I am hoping to apply for Social Work BA hons this year for the 2012 entry and was hoping if anyone who studies the subject or has been through the application/interview process could help me out? Firstly most uni's are asking for 220-280 points roughly and it states 'from 2 a levels', so does that mean my AS points won't count towards it?

Also what subjects did you do for your A-Levels, and do these subjects have to be closely related to social work itself?

Hey! I'm just about to start the ba in social work at Leeds in September so I will tell you what I know. I applied to university of Leeds, York, Lancaster, Keele and Sheffield Hallam and had interviews at all and gained places at all. The points you need are from a2 alone, as As and a2 gets combined to make your point scores but Leeds and York were my firm and insurance and they aren't points based but Leeds wanted BBB and York BBC. The subjects you study at a2 really dont matter, I have just finished studying chemistry biology maths and physics! Yet the unis let me in so don't worry! It's more about Your experience and you personally!

I don't think the unis are strict at giving offers, just make sure your ps is good! In my interviews I had to do exams at all but Lancaster and I had a single interview at each, not group! But the questions are all same really! Why do u want to do social work, scenarios and what you would do, talk about a recent issue. I usedcxommunity care website to help me because I have not learnt about stuff on my courses that would help! I spent so much Time on my ps though and it paid off!

Social work is popular though but there are lots of unis that do it! I saw alot of courses in clearing this year so don't worry about not getting a place! Good luck!
Reply 8
Thank you for that Laura2701 :biggrin: I will be applying this year, and during that time I am going to retake a few units so my overall totals out to BBB and gain as much experience as I can :smile:

Good luck with the course and let me know how it's going!! :smile: :smile:
Original post by BPPP
Thank you soooo much for that Jen! It was very helpful! Also just wanted to ask, I finished my A2 exams this year but i really want to improve my results before i actually apply to uni so this year i'll be retaking a few units, will this affect the uni asking me for a interview because of my previous grades and due to the fact that I'll be in college for a third year?

Hi BPPP,

I'm afraid I can't really help you on that one. Some universities are happy to accept slightly lower results from applicants who have their results already, some dole out even higher offers to resitters on the principle that they can fill a course with applicants who got the grades on their first try. Some are happy to accept resitting candidates, some won't. You're best off calling and checking with individual universities what their policies are regarding people taking resits.

If you're only resitting some A2 units, you'll probably only be in college part time, so I would use the the rest of your time constructively in getting more relevant experience to make yourself more credible on that front.

Jen x
I really don't know if this will help or hinder prospective social work students, but thought that I would share with you my experience of personal statements, interviews and so on........

Take as long as possibe on your personal statement, give it your all, don't try and do it in one evening!!! give it a good week or so. Ask everyone you know to read through it and rip it to bits (rather your friends do it then your lecturer!)

I started putting together my PS by working on my conclusion first, may seem odd but it kept me focused on exactly the purpose of the statement, you can always go back and shuffle around with it later.

Try and give yourself bite size paragraphs to deal with each day/evening, better to write 100 well thought out words then 200 crap words.

Try and avoid those good old clicques like "I won't to help people", "I'm a caring person" or "I like people'. These statements would fit the criteria for many careers nursing, medicine, teaching and so on, you have to really specify WHY you have chosen social work.

Youngest child stuck on toilet, got to go. Sarah
Reply 11
Hi again,

Thanks alot for the info! Volunteering seems like the best option :-) cheers
Reply 12
What if you haven't got any experience related to social work yet? :frown: I didn't know that I needed experience until like a month or two ago, and it's not something i've wanted to do since I was little lol. It was my stupid fault for not doing my research earlier, but i'm getting something sorted out now. I emailed the admissions tutor and he said that it's how much experience you have, but what you learn from it, and as long as I have some before interviews, I should be fine. Kinda scared that i'm going to get straight rejections from all my unis. :frown:
Reply 13

Original post by Sine
What if you haven't got any experience related to social work yet? :frown: I didn't know that I needed experience until like a month or two ago, and it's not something i've wanted to do since I was little lol. It was my stupid fault for not doing my research earlier, but i'm getting something sorted out now. I emailed the admissions tutor and he said that it's how much experience you have, but what you learn from it, and as long as I have some before interviews, I should be fine. Kinda scared that i'm going to get straight rejections from all my unis. :frown:

It's definetly a good idea to get some work experience between now and the interview, but it won't be impossible to get onto a course without having any previous experience. I've read about people with much less experience getting offers because of how they managed to sell themselves as an applicant, so don't think it's over before it has even begun. :smile: Some Uni's do have requirements for the amount of work experience you should have, but others are fairly flexible and will judge you on what you got out of the experience, however little it is. In the end you need to show the interviewer(s) that the experience you have, regardless of how much, is enough to make you a suitable candidate. You're telling them it's enough, not the other way round. :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by BPPP
Helllo all,

I am in my third year of an Bsc(hons) Social Work,

my only real qualifications are 5 A-B Gcse's and a 60pt OU unit, i was 30 when i started and gained a lot of ground through my previous Social care experience, I think that AS levels count towards the UCAS point's.

It has been tough going for me, i have three children aged 8-12 and i found out that i am Dyslexic/Dyspraxic at the start of the course, my advice to you is to go for it, i am currently averaging a 2.2 and recieved a B for my FYP proposal. i am on my final practice placement with a youth offending team and i'm loving every minute of it. if i said the course is easy that would be lying however it is rewarding in the sence that most of it is based on your personal morals and values, as well as a clear understanding of social values.

there is light at the end of the tunnel for me now, and i wish i'd done it years ago, i wish you all the luck in the world and if you need any more advice let me know and i'll be happy to help x:smile:
Reply 15
Original post by liberty0810
Hello Jen,

Hi liberty,
Here is my advice from one mother to another :smile:
When i started my Bsc (hons) Social work My 3 Children were aged 6, 8 and 10. i won't lie and say it hasn't been challenging, but when the university say it is full time hours they simply mean they expect you to study/read a if you were completing fulltime hours, our lectures are never more than 12 hours a week but they expect you to study/read for a further 20-25 hours a week, although it's hard to stay focussed for this long it does mean that you can fit it in around school runs, bedtimes etc. i'm in my final year now and can honestly say that the most chalenging times for me have been when i have been on practice placement and that really is a 9-5 issue, however this only goes on for 100 days at a time. i have been a bit of a part time parent but my children are so proud of what i am doing and why i'm doing it. Kids are wonderfully resilient, and they will cope with the demands of the course better than you will probably lol.

if you need any advice let me know i'll be happy t help if i can.
Reply 16
all this advice has really helped as i'm getting quite nervous about the interviews. my grades are gonna be ok but i'm worried i'll let myself down by being too quiet. is it a casual interview or more like a proper job interview? thanks for any help
Original post by lorrabell
all this advice has really helped as i'm getting quite nervous about the interviews. my grades are gonna be ok but i'm worried i'll let myself down by being too quiet. is it a casual interview or more like a proper job interview? thanks for any help

Hi Lorrabell,

It will be difficult for any individual to give you a definitive answer on that, as the interview process differs at all universities. Also, the processes change from year to year so someone's advice may not be spot-on accurate; I know Brunel have made a few changes to theirs since I applied in 2009, for example. Most universities use some combination of written tests, group interviews or individual interviews, and would expect a degree of formality (e.g. dress relatively smartly) during the interviews as it's a serious and competitive course. My best suggestion to you would be to do a forum search for "social work interview" as there are some big threads from last year's applicants detailing what the interview process was like at various unis.

Jen
(edited 12 years ago)
You may also get more responses on the fourm at www.communitycare.co.uk .
Reply 19
thanks to both, i'll take a look at the above site

Quick Reply

Latest