The Student Room Group

Comp Sci Students - How do you organise all your notes??

Im off to study Computing next in september, so, as the title says, I was just wondering how its best to organise notes in this subject...

I know it will vary for different people, but in general, how to do organise everything? eg do you make notes on paper during lectures and put them into a ringbinder, or have a seperate folder for each module, or do you type all you notes and store them on your computer or print them out....I really dont know what to do!

Any input appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Based on 2 years of experience surrounded by fellow compsci undergrads: very few people keep ringbinders or folders of stuff. In fact, most people don't even take notes after the first term.

I can't speak for all unis, but where I study the online lecture notes are of a high quality. Comp Sci lecturers at my uni usually make incredibly good notes - unless they're one of the few who make awful online notes out of laziness or some 1980s theory about correct way to present information. In my case only 2 out of the many many lecturers I've had have been like this. In there cases its probably worth keeping detailed notes for you to read back yourself.

But personally I take a laptop to every lecture, keep the slides open on my computer but have pen and paper in front of me. If the lecturer says something NOT on the slides, I write it down. I also write down stuff on the slides that I find surprising or interesting. This usually helps to reinforce it in my mind. However, I never ever read through these notes. Its just to help me remember it and pay attention for the whole lecture. Also, if the lecturer says something you disagree with, you can google it (although don't be the **** that puts up a hand to tell them you disagree about things all the time)

How you do it is of course up to you. Where are you studying, out of curiosity?

Edit: Also, I noticed that as time goes on people switch between taking notes on a laptop to taking notes on paper. Make of that what you will. I've been given notes that were typed as a lecture went on before, and found them somewhat lacking.
(edited 12 years ago)
I made paper notes during lectures, and stored them in a separate ring binder for each module. Our lecture powerpoint presentations were put online, so I could just print them off, match them with the notes I made in class, and keep them together :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by mhsc
Based on 2 years of experience surrounded by fellow compsci undergrads: very few people keep ringbinders or folders of stuff. In fact, most people don't even take notes after the first term.

I can't speak for all unis, but where I study the online lecture notes are of a high quality. Comp Sci lecturers at my uni usually make incredibly good notes - unless they're one of the few who make awful online notes out of laziness or some 1980s theory about correct way to present information. In my case only 2 out of the many many lecturers I've had have been like this. In there cases its probably worth keeping detailed notes for you to read back yourself.

But personally I take a laptop to every lecture, keep the slides open on my computer but have pen and paper in front of me. If the lecturer says something NOT on the slides, I write it down. I also write down stuff on the slides that I find surprising or interesting. This usually helps to reinforce it in my mind. However, I never ever read through these notes. Its just to help me remember it and pay attention for the whole lecture. Also, if the lecturer says something you disagree with, you can google it (although don't be the **** that puts up a hand to tell them you disagree about things all the time)

How you do it is of course up to you. Where are you studying, out of curiosity?

Edit: Also, I noticed that as time goes on people switch between taking notes on a laptop to taking notes on paper. Make of that what you will. I've been given notes that were typed as a lecture went on before, and found them somewhat lacking.

thanks so much :smile:
will there always be slides at a lecture? I don't really understand how it all works yet..

also, sorry if this is a weird question, but do you find with that you have to learn and really understand stuff as they are going through it in the lectures, or is it feasible to listen, then really try to understand it properly later at home? Im the kind of person that needs to write stuff down and draw diagrams etc to learn things, and thats not really practical during a lecture... Normally at school I take notes in class then go over them after...do you reckon that is viable at uni??

oh and I'll be at Durham :smile: where do you study?
Reply 4
Original post by StarsAndBoulevard
I made paper notes during lectures, and stored them in a separate ring binder for each module. Our lecture powerpoint presentations were put online, so I could just print them off, match them with the notes I made in class, and keep them together :smile:

wow, do you not end up with a huge amount of folders??
Nope, I may have worded that wrong. 1 folder per module, with 6 modules in a year.Maybe 6 is a lot, but if i don't keep things organised I lose everything :tongue:
Reply 6
I don't take notes.
Reply 7
I honestly don't take notes, I just listen. They give tons of material to follow along such as the presentation slides, so there is hardly any need for notes. Not to mention that if you miss a day, the notes go on blackboard within the next few days. If i did take notes, its not like i read over them.
Reply 8
Original post by -kit-kat-
thanks so much :smile:
will there always be slides at a lecture? I don't really understand how it all works yet..

also, sorry if this is a weird question, but do you find with that you have to learn and really understand stuff as they are going through it in the lectures, or is it feasible to listen, then really try to understand it properly later at home? Im the kind of person that needs to write stuff down and draw diagrams etc to learn things, and thats not really practical during a lecture... Normally at school I take notes in class then go over them after...do you reckon that is viable at uni??

oh and I'll be at Durham :smile: where do you study?

I went to an open day at Durham a few years ago but it was such a fiasco I turned down the BBC offer they gave me, but having been there it seemed like they use slides all of the time.

Every single lecturer of mine used slides, and one or two of them used simplistic slides and wrote a lot on a white board.

For sure you COULD go home every day and review your notes, but in first year you'll probably be quite busy after lectures with your friends.

But whatever you've got to do to do well, of course... Personally I would imagine you can get a 2:1 in your first year at Durham without breaking your back every night fairly easily.

I study at Uni of York, and am currently on a 2:1 using the system I said. But of course, do what feels best for you.. But it will probably change after a term or two :pierre:
Reply 9
Like others have said, most compsci students don't need to take notes. Pretty much all lectures are based on slides or notes that are made available online or on blackboard. So everything is kept digital and can be accessed at any time. You'll find that compsci students with ringbinders are very few and far between. Other than the odd module where the lecturer has insisted on providing no notes (I think I only recall 1 or 2), I could count the number of pages I've had to write on one hand.

Obviously this'll vary between unis but generally I think they follow this pattern of "everything online, download as you go along".

In contrast, the maths side of my notes was the complete opposite. Nothing is available online and if you missed a lecture, you're doomed unless you can get notes off someone else. Plus if you've got a packed day of maths lectures, boy does your hand ache by the end of it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by MarcD
Like others have said, most compsci students don't need to take notes. Pretty much all lectures are based on slides or notes that are made available online or on blackboard. So everything is kept digital and can be accessed at any time. You'll find that compsci students with ringbinders are very few and far between. Other than the odd module where the lecturer has insisted on providing no notes (I think I only recall 1 or 2), I could count the number of pages I've had to write on one hand.

Obviously this'll vary between unis but generally I think they follow this pattern of "everything online, download as you go along".

In contrast, the maths side of my notes was the complete opposite. Nothing is available online and if you missed a lecture, you're doomed unless you can get notes off someone else. Plus if you've got a packed day of maths lectures, boy does your hand ache by the end of it.

I see you changes uni when you started your Msc in Comp sci, was that an easy process? Could you briefly explain a little about it please?
Reply 11
The majority of your lectures will have good slides. I can only remember of couple of submodules where slides were sub-standard, but I think it was deliberate to make you go to the lecture. Everything will go on duo so you can look at it online too.

Some people take loads of notes, others take none at all - it's a personal thing. I only took notes for the things I didn't really understand, weren't obvious etc. It's also a good idea to copy down worked examples.

It took me until my final year to realise that it's a good idea to print out the slides before the lecture if they aren't provided as handouts (the majority aren't), then make notes on the slides and put them all in a seperate folder for each module/submodule. It makes revision a lot easier.
Reply 12
Original post by viperfx
I see you changes uni when you started your Msc in Comp sci, was that an easy process? Could you briefly explain a little about it please?

I'm not sure what you mean; do you mean applying to Oxford in particular, or just generally applying for an MSc at a different uni?
Record the lectures in either audio and/or video. Take photos of anything he writes on the board.
Reply 14
Original post by SpamTheMan
Record the lectures in either audio and/or video. Take photos of anything he writes on the board.

Make sure to obtain the lecturer's permission before doing that though. Strictly speaking the lecture is copyright of the lecturer
Original post by Bucky!
Make sure to obtain the lecturer's permission before doing that though. Strictly speaking the lecture is copyright of the lecturer

I guess so but to be fair you could also redistribute the pen & paper notes that you take just as you could the photos of the white board.

Also, I don't have a source for this but I read some where that university lectures are open to the public. In practice I bet it depends on the university and/or department policy. The lecturer would have to be a dick to stop you showing your notes or his slides to your friend. After all, he wants to teach and educate people, the more people exposed to his stuff the better? No?

It's simple good manners to ask if the lecturer minds or not though, course.
Most people don't take notes but it depends on how you personally learn. I had an A4 book for each module and took notes during class as I found I couldn't learn off the slides the same way as I could off notes that I had written down. I scored much higher in modules where I did this. Furthermore, its a good way to keep your brain active and keep you awake, some of those lectures are damn boring to listen to for an hour!
Reply 17
Original post by MarcD
I'm not sure what you mean; do you mean applying to Oxford in particular, or just generally applying for an MSc at a different uni?

Not oxford in particular, but that must have been pretty challenging goal to attain?
I actually meant just generally doing an MSc at a different uni?
What were the reasons you changed etc?

You can PM if you like regarding this, when you have time. :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by viperfx
Not oxford in particular, but that must have been pretty challenging goal to attain?
I actually meant just generally doing an MSc at a different uni?
What were the reasons you changed etc?

You can PM if you like regarding this, when you have time. :smile:

Sent you a PM :smile:
i prefer to take notes - it makes coming back to revision time much much easier. its the important stuff thats not on the slides which is important

i organise my notes in a folder segregated by module (obviously) and i just try my best to add to it. By the time revision comes up i have some good notes to help me and i end up rewriting a clean set where i merge the data from the slides and the lecturers opinions etc - that way you get a really comprehensive set which should stand you in good stead for the exams

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending