The Student Room Group
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

Internet Speed

Does anyone know what the internet speed is like in the halls of residence?

Better yet, can someone who's currently in the halls of residence take the speed test and post the results?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Which Halls are you talking about? The private halls have different internet providers to the University owned halls.

Dan
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website
Reply 2
Wouldnt they all use the same exchange though... The only real difference would be IP throttling and pricing...
Reply 3
Well, possibly may use the same exchange.. Doesnt mean that they offer the same speeds.
Reply 4
Yea it would though wouldnt it? Because broadband is subject to the exchange, not the isp. You pay the ISP for download usage rather than speed, generally.

So between BT, Orange, talk talk etc, they will all offer the same 5 mb speed for the same area in general. They cant control the speed, only throttle torrenting.
Reply 5
IQ Kopa.
Reply 6
Not particularly sure what you're on about Aidy.. All ISP's offer different speeds. Anyhow, you may be right and its a bit off topic.

I lived in Kopa in first year, and that is connected to the Uni network. The speed was generally quite good, although at the time they had a lot of the online gaming ports blocked, however I have a feeling that may have changed by now. I think I got a constant 8meg connection there.

In Trinity last year, I got a constant 2 meg connection until I upgraded the package to 8meg.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending