The Student Room Group

Queens University Belfast Medicine Apps 2012 :D

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Im also a pharmacist who got a place. With those grades and a good interview you will be fine! :-) Yeh, I also found pharmacy helped in writing my personal statement and definitely my pre reg year helped with interviews as it gave me more confidence in the interview.
got an offer from belfast today :smile:
Reply 782
Original post by chanchunyu12
got an offer from belfast today :smile:

Finally! Congrats! :biggrin: you gonna firm it? :P
Original post by Ber
Finally! Congrats! :biggrin: you gonna firm it? :P

Thank you dude
YEs I firmed it this afternoon. Are you going to Bristol or Belfast?
Reply 784
Does anybody know how many people firmed Belfast for medicine this year?
Reply 785
Original post by chanchunyu12
Thank you dude
YEs I firmed it this afternoon. Are you going to Bristol or Belfast?

i think i'm gonna firm bristol but i'm not sure yet. still deciding :smile:
Reply 786
Hey guys,

I graduated as a dentist from QUB a few years ago, since then have completed dental foundation training and am working as an OMFS SHO. Interested in pursuing maxfax, so am considering applying for medicine at the moment, probably starting in 2013.

When I was doing dentistry there was significant overlap at QUB with medicine (most of the first two years were the same) however I know the courses have been restructured since then. So just wondering if any of you know anything about accelerated medical courses for dentists who are hoping to do OMFS...? I know previously people used to get into 3rd year at QUB but unsure if this is still the case.

Cheers :smile:
Original post by spr86
Hey guys,

I graduated as a dentist from QUB a few years ago, since then have completed dental foundation training and am working as an OMFS SHO. Interested in pursuing maxfax, so am considering applying for medicine at the moment, probably starting in 2013.

When I was doing dentistry there was significant overlap at QUB with medicine (most of the first two years were the same) however I know the courses have been restructured since then. So just wondering if any of you know anything about accelerated medical courses for dentists who are hoping to do OMFS...? I know previously people used to get into 3rd year at QUB but unsure if this is still the case.

It is probably best to contact the admissions office. Otherwise, I would recommend that you apply to a graduate entry medicine course at another uni (as Queen's don't do a graduate course) which are 4 years long. However, it will be more expensive so if you can't skip years at QUB you may want to do it there anyway for financial reasons...
Original post by spr86
Hey guys,

Dunno about QUB, but Glasgow still operate 3rd year entry for dentists into medicine as long as you graduated from that uni (and that is with a reasonably different course structure in dent and med) - so I can't see any reason why QUB would change too drastically?

Worst comes to the worst I reckon you would get direct entry into 2nd year?
Reply 789
Original post by sm1987
Im also a pharmacist who got a place. With those grades and a good interview you will be fine! :-) Yeh, I also found pharmacy helped in writing my personal statement and definitely my pre reg year helped with interviews as it gave me more confidence in the interview.

Thanks, that really helps with my confidence in applying as wasn't sure if I had any chance at all...just the calibre of applicant is amazing. I'd give absolutely anything to do medicine mind you, the vocation to be a doctor is all consuming at the moment lol. I didn't do AS/A2 biology, however, but QUB said it doesn't matter with the MPharm. Do you think not having it will hinder my chance, or soon as you get an interview is it really just on that and personal statement? Sorry for my rambling! And major congrats on a place, I know a Dr who did pharmacy previously and said it made the course 10x easier.
Reply 790
Original post by Rascal2011
Good luck! You have fab grades from school, but obviously as a graduate your GCSEs won't be taken into consideration. Your A-Levels and 2.1, along with a solid UKCAT score should get you an interview no problem. As a pharmacist who successfully applied this year, I've found that pharmacy helped a lot when writing my personal statement/preparing for interview. You should be fine :-)

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply, knowing other pharmacists are getting in is filling me with some much needed confidence!:smile: I just hope the not having AS biology doesn't kick me in the teeth, tho admissions office said it doesn't matter as pharm more than meets the 'or acceptable' equiv of AS biology, and no doubt A2 as well!:smile:
Original post by crisper88
-

Best of luck buddy, my pharmacy background significantly helped me at interview and reckon it'll really ease the burden of learning during all stages of the medical degree.
Original post by crisper88
Thanks for your reply, knowing other pharmacists are getting in is filling me with some much needed confidence!:smile: I just hope the not having AS biology doesn't kick me in the teeth, tho admissions office said it doesn't matter as pharm more than meets the 'or acceptable' equiv of AS biology, and no doubt A2 as well!:smile:

I'm not sure if you did Pharmacy at QUB or not. If you did, and if you got through Physiology 1 and 2 ok then you wil be fine doing medicine as both of those modules were A LOT harder than A-Level biology. Obviously, the physiology will be more in-depth again in the medical course but you will have covered a lot of it already in pharmacy (I know that some of the lectures are exactly the same and are even given by the same lecturers as I had during pharmacy under-grad).

Just have confidence as this is what you will really need if you want to get in and study medicine! Good Luck!! :smile:
Reply 793
Insured Queen's :smile:
what was the cut off point this year? :biggrin:
Hi guys, can someone just indicate the average number of A*s you need at GCSEs? I'd really appreciate it so I can a make a decision whether to apply this year or not :smile:
Reply 796
Original post by calender1994
what was the cut off point this year? :biggrin:

I think it was 37 out of 42.
Reply 797
Hey,
Has anyone ever heard of a prospective student being accepted into queens after they completed their interview, got a conditional but got BC instead of the BB grade needed? I believe I'll be in this situation in August as one of my tests didn't go too well this week! I've made other arrangements like applying to techs to do a HND in Health and Social Care.. not getting my hopes up for Queens this year, was just wondering if its ever happened before.. "/
Reply 798
Does anyone know when the course starts this year? Is the date in UCAS Track of 24th September accurate?
i think so because my accomodation opens up on 17th september leaving a week for freshers week and then probably start on the 24th :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending