The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Need to get myself out of a Student Living Unite Contract

Basically we agreed that i would be paying 448 a month which was fine but now they have recently sent me by future direct debits payments of 613 a month which obviously i cant afford. They purposely waited until after the cancellation period to come straight with me. I tried finding someone else to stop there so i can sign it over to no luck so does anyone have any ways of getting out the contract because I REFUSE to pay 613 a month so does my guaratoor (However you spell it).

P.S Thank you for the help in advance
Reply 1
Ok, let's get this straight.

You signed a contract in which you and your landlord agreed that you would pay £448 a month? Well, he can't change the contract on whim. For him to charge you more would be a breach of contract, which is illegal. To change the terms of a contract, both parties have to agree to it. You obviously don't, so that's that. He could try to evict you but he has no reason to do so unless you have destroyed the house or something.

This sounds fishy, are you sure you're not forgetting any info? It makes no sense for a landlord to do that, and if he has count yourself lucky! Get your deposit back and go somewhere else, this person sounds like a nightmare to do bussiness with...
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Are you sure you got the figure right before you say they changed? Like the 448 wasn't a deposit or something? Only because they can't just change price on you without you agreeing to it (unless there was some clause in the contract I'm guessing you signed). Have you called them up, and spoken to someone in person about this? That's probably the way to go.
Original post by AaronWiz
I tried finding someone else to stop there so i can sign it over to no luck so does anyone have any ways of getting out the contract because I REFUSE to pay 613 a month so does my guaratoor (However you spell it).

P.S Thank you for the help in advance

If the contract didn't say £613 a month then don't pay it, just pay the amount it says on the contract. What can the landlord do then?
Reply 4
I've had many problems with Unite (except in Sheffield) they are a nightmare to deal with, and their customer service was appalling! Although, as mentioned above, if you signed a contract for £448 they can't just up it, unless you've switched rooms from say a single bed to a 3/4 / studio. You have to pay for internet separately there too, which you can pay monthly, quarterly or yearly. Maybe this is a one off fee including that? (the internet is ridiculous btw, if you want to play any sort of game you need the faster one...seriously bad)

However after saying that I had a few good experiences with Unite as well, it was just 6 months of utter terror...Good Luck :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest