The Student Room Group

I'm so upset, didn't get into uni 2nd year running, don't know what to do?

I retook my A levels; Biology, Maths and Chemistry. I got CCD first time round, now I have BCC. I was 1 UMS mark off a B and 12 UMS marks off a B. I needed BBB to get into Sunderland for Pharmacy. I've been rejected from there now.

Hertfordshire had places in clearing for Pharmacy so I put my details down and they said they'd call me back yesterday. I haven't heard anything. Everyone I know who retook the year got their grades and are going to uni, I saw on facebook. I did apply through clearing for medical sciences too but I got my clearing number at 6pm on Thursday so it was late and I've been put on a waiting list for a few things.

I don't know what's wrong with me. Am I just thick? Shall I wait another year? I always wanted to do medicine, shall I retake 2 exams and apply for foundation medicine and pharmacy if I don't get into Hertfordshire? How do I explain to everyone that I'm not going to university again? I'm so depressed.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by dollar
I retook my A levels; Biology, Maths and Chemistry. I got CCD first time round, now I have BCC. I was 1 UMS mark off a B and 12 UMS marks off a B. I needed BBB to get into Sunderland for Pharmacy. I've been rejected from there now.

Hertfordshire had places in clearing for Pharmacy so I put my details down and they said they'd call me back yesterday. I haven't heard anything. Everyone I know who retook the year got their grades and are going to uni, I saw on facebook. I did apply through clearing for medical sciences too but I got my clearing number at 6pm on Thursday so it was late and I've been put on a waiting list for a few things.

I don't know what's wrong with me. Am I just thick? Shall I wait another year? I always wanted to do medicine, shall I retake 2 exams and apply for foundation medicine and pharmacy if I don't get into Hertfordshire? How do I explain to everyone that I'm not going to university again? I'm so depressed.
Well done on improving your grades - it's not easy.

I'd call Herts again this morning to let them know you're still there and still interested. Contact the other unis where you are on waiting lists, today. Just ring 'em all.

Unfortunately, for undergrad medicine most medical schools will not accept people who have taken A levels over more than two years, unless there are extenuating circumstances (and some won't even then).

Don't worry about what you're going to say to other people, just concentrate on doing your best to find a suitable place.
Reply 2
Congrats on improving your grades!

Don't let it get to you, just find an alternative route - there is always another way!!

I didn't get in last year to computer science so I reapplied this year to the computer science course with a foundation year. It might take a little longer but atleast I'm on the right path.

Just don't give up - you can do it ! Research your options!

Good luck xx
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Minerva
Well done on improving your grades - it's not easy.

I'd call Herts again this morning to let them know you're still there and still interested. Contact the other unis where you are on waiting lists, today. Just ring 'em all.

Unfortunately, for undergrad medicine most medical schools will not accept people who have taken A levels over more than two years, unless there are extenuating circumstances (and some won't even then).

Don't worry about what you're going to say to other people, just concentrate on doing your best to find a suitable place.

Herts is closed today :frown:
Foundation medicine courses require BBB/BCC and also other entry criteria which I satisfy. I spoke to a medical student at UEA on results day and he said they don't mind students who have retaken A Levels.
I don't think I'm going to get a place again this year :frown: but thanks for your advice.
Reply 5
Original post by Fliq
Congrats on improving your grades!

Don't let it get to you, just find an alternative route - there is always another way!!

I didn't get in last year to computer science so I reapplied this year to the computer science course with a foundation year. It might take a little longer but atleast I'm on the right path.

Just don't give up - you can do it ! Research your options!

Good luck xx

Thanks, I have looked at foundation pharmacy courses but because I got my clearing number so late, they weren't able to consider me early and then all the places were gone. Good luck with your course :smile: x
Reply 6
I'm not trying to be offensive, but maybe it just wasn't meant to be.
Especially for medicine, the grades needed for that are ridiculously high. Maybe look into doing something else science/health related?

When I decided (very early on in 6th form) that I wasn't clever enough for medicine, lots of people told me to look into being a nurse- you're still helping people in hospitals, and in a way nurses are more important and respected by the patients as they handle the day-to-day care.

Good luck with whatever happens :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by dollar
Foundation medicine courses require BBB/BCC and also other entry criteria which I satisfy. I spoke to a medical student at UEA on results day and he said they don't mind students who have retaken A Levels.
I don't think I'm going to get a place again this year :frown: but thanks for your advice.

Apparently Hertfordshires system is down so people that received offers through clearing haven't reveived it yet, at least that's what my sister was told.

Anyway try calling up other Unis? Just incase Hertfordshire is doesn't go well.
Reply 8
Original post by dollar
Would be worth checking with the other places that offer this option, though.
Reply 9
I am in your exact boots, retook my a levels aswell bio chem psycho
Went from CDC to BCC... 11 ums off a B in chem and 5 ums off B in psychology was so gutted. Please get into contact with me if u wamt to discuss our option might be able to help each other .
Reply 10
Original post by dollar

Original post by dollar

I don't mean this in a horrible way, but if you only managed to get a B and 2 Cs, do you think you could cope with the material in a science-based degree?
With people applying for medicine with top grades, you might want to go through the post-grad route although that is massively competitive. I was under the impression that foundation years for medicine were only for those that didn't have the correct a-levels ie. science. Not those who didn't get the grades.
Reply 11
Original post by SHABANA
I don't mean this in a horrible way, but if you only managed to get a B and 2 Cs, do you think you could cope with the material in a science-based degree?
With people applying for medicine with top grades, you might want to go through the post-grad route although that is massively competitive. I was under the impression that foundation years for medicine were only for those that didn't have the correct a-levels ie. science. Not those who didn't get the grades.

Yes I can cope. For Biology my grades throughout A Levels were A*, A, B, B, C(in a practical) and I failed one practical which they didn't let me retake hence the overall B grade. In Maths I've achieved an A* and B's throughout except the last 2 exams in which I got a D and an E (this is bad I know and I don't know where I went wrong). In Chemistry I have B, B, C (practical), A (practical), C, D (this is very average too I realise but I don't think it means I can't cope).
Anyway, the foundation medicine courses are for people with science A Levels and others are for people without science A Levels.
Reply 12
Original post by Minerva
Would be worth checking with the other places that offer this option, though.

Yea there is Southampton too, but you're right there are only 2 unis that I would probably be to able to apply for this option. The others would be pharmacy which require BBB, which I think I can achieve if I retake. But the thought of retaking a whole year for 13 marks makes me sad :frown:
Original post by SHABANA

This. I didn't study medicine but I know many med students and (as you must know) the course is incredibly, incredibly, dense and if you have had two goes at A-levels and only managed to get BCC in science subjects then I think you should probably take this as a sign?

I honestly don't mean to put down your effort, I'm sure you must have studied very hard, but you need to ask yourself honestly whether or not you will be able to do well on a science based course or if you will be constantly scraping through by the skin of your teeth? After all, it's going to cost you a huge amount in loans.
Reply 14
Original post by SundayGirl.
This. I didn't study medicine but I know many med students and (as you must know) the course is incredibly, incredibly, dense and if you have had two goes at A-levels and only managed to get BCC in science subjects then I think you should probably take this as a sign?

I honestly don't mean to put down your effort, I'm sure you must have studied very hard, but you need to ask yourself honestly whether or not you will be able to do well on a science based course or if you will be constantly scraping through by the skin of your teeth? After all, it's going to cost you a huge amount in loans.

I understand where you're coming from. But if universities are willing to offer students with these grades a place on foundation medicine, they must realise there is some potential. And people who get straight A's in humanities courses (which I could have done, I achieved a high A in AS Level English) are also taken onto foundation medicine courses, which means luckily universities don't see it as so cut and dry these days.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by dollar
I understand where you're coming from. But if universities are willing to offer students with these grades a place on foundation medicine, they must realise there is some potential. And people who get straight A's in humanities courses (which I could have done, I achieved a high A in AS Level English) are also taken onto foundation medicine courses, which means luckily universities don't see it as so cut and dry these days.

Well, in any case, best of luck. I hope you do get on the course but if you don't then please do speak to someone to see what your options are both with and outside of medicine. :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by SundayGirl.
Well, in any case, best of luck. I hope you do get on the course but if you don't then please do speak to someone to see what your options are both with and outside of medicine. :smile:

Thank you, I will do :smile:
Reply 17
I'm 19 and I did 3 years of college as well. I know people that start uni at 27, so it doesn't matter. Be honest with yourself. Would you rather do pharmacy or would you want to be a doctor. If you want to be a doctor and you won't be accepted onto a medicine degree then you can always apply for a science subject biomedical chemistry or whatever and then go onto grad entry medicine probably. Look at them courses on uni websites to see whats available. My cousin did a law degree for a year, dropped out then went to a science based degree because she didn't have 3 science A levels then she must have got a different way to medicine because she's now a doctor. Stop feeling bad about yourself- them kind of A levels are really hard and I know if I'd have taken them I'd have got DDD. So if you want to be a doctor then get a job for a year to help with the increased fees and apply in UCAS in early September with a personal statement explaining why your taking a gap year. Also if you take the exams in January then its not a whole year of A levels.
I don't intend to be rude but....

It's strange that getting BCC you'd consider Medicine as if you can't get AAA/AAB then the rigours of a medical degree would be too much to cope with. Also you have essentially studied A levels over three years.
Reply 19
Original post by cloudgal7
I'm 19 and I did 3 years of college as well. I know people that start uni at 27, so it doesn't matter. Be honest with yourself. Would you rather do pharmacy or would you want to be a doctor. If you want to be a doctor and you won't be accepted onto a medicine degree then you can always apply for a science subject biomedical chemistry or whatever and then go onto grad entry medicine probably. Look at them courses on uni websites to see whats available. My cousin did a law degree for a year, dropped out then went to a science based degree because she didn't have 3 science A levels then she must have got a different way to medicine because she's now a doctor. Stop feeling bad about yourself- them kind of A levels are really hard and I know if I'd have taken them I'd have got DDD. So if you want to be a doctor then get a job for a year to help with the increased fees and apply in UCAS in early September with a personal statement explaining why your taking a gap year. Also if you take the exams in January then its not a whole year of A levels.

:biggrin: Just made my day x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending