The Student Room Group

The Fresher's Angst Thread

Scroll to see replies

It's definitely not the be all and end all week for making friends, but it's good fun and you should definitely make the most of it and let your hair down :smile:

I made most of my closest friends on my course but not until a bit after freshers really, freshers week was just really to bond with my flatmates and all that, too bad the way I went through last year meant I gradually became more distant to them (and I had to really try to get back in with them at times). Just join societies and make sure you get chatting to your coursemates more, even if you know only one or two people, get chatting to them more and you'll find the bigger groups hopefully!
Reply 61
Hi

I will be starting uni in September and am starting to feel nervous. Is it just me feeling nervous about going to uni and committing 3 years of my life to study?
Well I recently got a place at uni, but I'm moving away (which is what I want/ed). I have my accomdation sorted.
I'm now freaking out... like really scared..just about how things go and if I don't get the 'hang' of it. Or if noone likes me.. Or that I would be broke quiet a lot of the time. I just need advice, on how to cope with me panicking. It's ALL going to be new.. with no one there.

Thanks in advance !
Reply 63
I think most people moving to away for uni have or have had those thoughts its a completely normal feeling, it's scary but im sure once you get settled in you will be fine. Will you be living in halls?, if so it might be easier if you try and find people that you will be living with by joining facebook groups etc that way you will find a fimiliar face when you get there which will make you feel a bit more at ease when you arrive.
Reply 64
Whats it like :smile:?
Reply 65
maddness

I can only speak from my experience here in Canada it went something like this...parents helped to move in they stuck around for about 45 min, they left. Opened up case of beer and the rest I do not recall. Hoping for something similar in Leicester
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 66
Just your average night...
Reply 67
Go outside, get lost, walk around hopelessly trying to find the way back and find it ludicrously funny that all the buildings look the same. :colonhash:
Probably what you make of it :P
Reply 69
Mine was pretty crap (thats cos our su isn't brill)!
Unpacked, mooched around the halls and sussed where stuff was, had an aqkward dinner with the new flatmates, got drunk and went to a freshers night. Oh and worked out the buses :P
Dark.
Think at this stage the key thing is to remember that all the students who ever went to uni had the same doubts. They all survived and the vast majority really enjoyed it. When you start you'll see all the returners having a great reunion - juist remember they all thought the same when they started
Original post by ancientone
Think at this stage the key thing is to remember that all the students who ever went to uni had the same doubts. They all survived and the vast majority really enjoyed it. When you start you'll see all the returners having a great reunion - juist remember they all thought the same when they started

This definitely. I was really scared before I went to uni. I moved in the day before everyone else did and I was really sad because I didn't know how I was gonna cope. Now I'm sad it's all over!

You just have to throw yourself into it and see how things go really and it doesn't usually take long to start making friends and get the hang of things. If you learn to budget and be careful with your money then you should be fine.
Reply 73
I like smarties too!! :biggrin:

Anyway, nearly everyone will be in the same proverbial boat, worrying about the new beginning, but in order to succeed you have to give it your best shot, and I promise if you don't worry, remember everyone's in the same situation, and be as positive as possible you WILL get the hang of it; and by the end of freshers week you'll probably be wondering why you were even worrying in the first place.
Reply 74
How do people like you cope with life? Stressing so heavily over every insignificant thing that confronts you. Moving away is easy and an amazing experience!
Reply 75
basically im starting uni in october and i dont drink due to religious reasons. I know theres a big drinking culture, will people think im odd, or will i not fit in.
plenty of people dont drink, nuff said
Top Tip:

Fool everybody into thinking you're drunk, by spinning around quickly a hundred times, and holding conversations whilst sucking on a soft mint.
i'm sure there will be other people who don't drink for the same reasons as you do, and there will probably be a student society, if I'm right in assuming you are Muslim, so you'll make plenty of friends :smile:. personally I don't drink much either but am hoping to be accepted because, effectively, I can have a very good and intoxicated time with no alcohol or substances in my system! High on life! :biggrin:
Reply 79
You'll be absolutely fine. Making friends at Uni is independent of, and doesn't come down to having an alcoholic drink with them in a social setting like a club. Just be a nice, kind, and approachable person, but predominantly talkative, and the most amazing friends you'll end up having, they'll come. Oh yes they will.

Top tip: Host a tea party, and leave your dorm room open when you start! =D

EDIT: With you being in your dorm room, of course haha...!!!
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending