The Student Room Group

MSc Mathematical Modelling and Scientific Computing

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Levi_Civita
Hey,

Thanks for the answer. ^^

I was not informed who will be interviewing me. All I know is that I was informed about everything by Miss Lotti, so it may mean she will interview me? Should I like that? :biggrin:

Thanks for the info on questions. I have started systematically revising everything on the list they gave. 50% more to go, and I'm over. I hope I'll make it.

Do you happen to know how hard is it to get the scholarship? Also, about how many students are there per year? Is if full every year?

Cheers!

Lol Lotti wouldn't be interviewing you definitely! It will be two members of staff with very close ties with the course.

I am afraid I have no idea! Apparently there will be two scholarships offered this year? I'd expect them to be handed out by now. Well, there are 23 students now, 8 more compared to last year.
Original post by studyboy
Lol Lotti wouldn't be interviewing you definitely! It will be two members of staff with very close ties with the course.

I am afraid I have no idea! Apparently there will be two scholarships offered this year? I'd expect them to be handed out by now. Well, there are 23 students now, 8 more compared to last year.

:biggrin: Okay, thanks. I have one further question.

During the interview, do you write things down on a paper/board, do you solve any problems or do you just chat?

Cheers
Reply 22
:biggrin: Okay, thanks. I have one further question.

During the interview, do you write things down on a paper/board, do you solve any problems or do you just chat?

Cheers

I did mine over Skype but according to a friend, he did his workings on paper and showed it to the interviewers. :wink:

Yes, they will ask you questions and left the chat after. :smile:
Hey,

Thanks for the answer.

Yeah, I'm in UK, and am invited to have an interview in 10 days.

I've seen the material they will ask us during the interview, but could anyone tell me in how much detail do we have to know? In particular, do we have to know more proofs, examples or just concepts? How much did you prepare?

Thanks. :smile:

I was asked 3 questions on second order ode's and another question on limits. They write the questions one afer the other on a piece of paper and you try to work it out. Feel free to think aloud and do rough work on it because they do give you a nudge if you seem to be going in the right direction.

Best of luck with your interview and do let us know how it went. We might be seeing each other come september :smile:

Oh btw, I think they've already given out the 2 studentships (I got an e-mail saying I was unsuccessful)
Hey,

Just found out who my interviewers are - Dr Irene Moroz and Dr Jim Oliver. Any thoughts? :smile:
Reply 25
My interview was started by asking my mathematical interests, and then had few questions on basic PDE (heat eq etc) & main they asked me too much about my previous dissertation.
Hello,

To provide some info: the interview went well yesterday. Three questions: ODEs, Limits and Linear Algebra. Got offer today. ^^
Hello,

To provide some info: the interview went well yesterday. Three questions: ODEs, Limits and Linear Algebra. Got offer today. ^^

Congratulations! :smile:
Which college did you apply to?
Original post by firstladynaija
Congratulations! :smile:
Which college did you apply to?

I said I have no preference, if I recall well. I'm still unsure whether I'll except the offer, I have to think about it. Some financial support would definitely help in making this decision. :biggrin:
Hi guys,
I've got an interview on Friday for next year. I've read all the above questions and answers but was just wondering if there's anyone who's on the course at the moment who could let me know about their interview experience? The last answers are quite old so I thought things could have changed since then.
My interviewers are Dr Kathryn Gillow and Prof Irene Moroz.
Reply 30
hey fluffyperson, how was your interview? What sort of questions were asked?
I hope it went well :smile:
Reply 31
Hey, flufflyperson, how was your interview? What sort of questions were you asked?
I hope it went well!
No one is giving you answers puskui2 :biggrin:
Original post by puskui2
Hey, flufflyperson, how was your interview? What sort of questions were you asked?
I hope it went well!

Hi!
Sorry, I only just saw this now. I didn't think my interview went well at all but I got an offer, still completely amazed! They started asking some really basic Linear Algebra questions and then some ODE and PDE stuff and also just asked some things regarding the modules I had done in my undergrad. The interview felt like it was over in 5 minutes even though it was at least half an hour.
Are you applying too?
Reply 34
Hey fluffy person!! Congrats!! :smile:
How long did it take to inform you about the interview? and could you tell me more about the PDE stuff? I applied about two weeks ago and I am nervous about getting an interview..Did you write the answers on a paper ??
Ps. Did you get a first or a 2:1 on your first degree?
Original post by eliz15
Hey fluffy person!! Congrats!! :smile:
How long did it take to inform you about the interview? and could you tell me more about the PDE stuff? I applied about two weeks ago and I am nervous about getting an interview..Did you write the answers on a paper ??
Ps. Did you get a first or a 2:1 on your first degree?

Hi I hope I could answer some of your questions here. I got my interview invitation 3 weeks after my application deadline. at the interview they will be providing a pen and paper for you to write answers on. I got asked the same kind of questions really, and I think we need not specify what sort of PDE stuff is asked otherwise it's unfair; it's really basic stuff, you should be able to do it :smile: good luck!!
Reply 36
Original post by PhenolphthaleinX
Hi I hope I could answer some of your questions here. I got my interview invitation 3 weeks after my application deadline. at the interview they will be providing a pen and paper for you to write answers on. I got asked the same kind of questions really, and I think we need not specify what sort of PDE stuff is asked otherwise it's unfair; it's really basic stuff, you should be able to do it :smile: good luck!!

Thnx a lot!!! :smile: Although my interview will be on skype so I am not sure how it will be conducted!
Original post by eliz15
Thnx a lot!!! :smile: Although my interview will be on skype so I am not sure how it will be conducted!

ah, I'd recommend having a board at the interview (e.g. study room in the library) so it'd be easy for the interviewers to look at your work. but otherwise get a pen and paper ready and show your work on the camera afterwards :smile:
Original post by PhenolphthaleinX
ah, I'd recommend having a board at the interview (e.g. study room in the library) so it'd be easy for the interviewers to look at your work. but otherwise get a pen and paper ready and show your work on the camera afterwards :smile:
I don't think Skype interviews usually involved pen and paper work. Mine, for MFoCS, didn't.
Reply 39
How long did it take after interview to hear the outcome for everyone?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending