The Student Room Group

what was the major cause of the riots in London?

People where not granted their full human rights.
I think the riots started because there are so many struggling to get what they want.
Reply 2
The trigger point was some gangster guy getting shot, so everyone else decided to jump on the bandwagon.
Reply 3
a career criminal armed with a pistol was shot by firearms police.
he was black.
riot.
Reply 4
As a completely informed sociologist and all around super PhD guy ( and not just a guy with an ill-informed and prejudiced opinion ) who has been given the full range of data available I can come to a definitive conclusion that it was caused by the eight leading retailers of food pledging to place fruit and vegetable in a more visible location [1], which resulted in the rioters failing to gain access to their required five a day of saturated fats and twenty units of alcohol which over time resulted in the deficiency in certain hormones and so they flew into a blind rage which spent itself once they gained access to the supplies of chocolate and booze from Mr Khan's Newsagent and Off licence.

The political solution is obvious, more chocolate and beer for all!
(edited 12 years ago)
They ran out of rice apparently.
Reply 6
Original post by chris collins
People where not granted their full human rights.

I wouldn't call the rioters people exactly.
Reply 7
Original post by Bonged.
a career criminal armed with a pistol was shot by firearms police.
he was black.
riot.

I thought he was mixed. I saw a picture of him, and he does not look 'black' at all.
Reply 8
Original post by effofex
I thought he was mixed. I saw a picture of him, and he does not look 'black' at all.

At all? really? He is quite obviously at least mixed race black/white.
the rioters/looters obviously felt he was black enough that it was worth screwing up the city over his death.
Reply 9
Original post by Bonged.
the rioters/looters obviously felt he was black enough that it was worth screwing up the city over his death.

I thought the looters were opportunists, rather than motivated to loot by the specific ethnicity of Mark Duggan.
Original post by Bonged.

Racism over the internet doesn't make you look cool and edgy.
Reply 11
Original post by Mendeleev's Table
Racism over the internet doesn't make you look cool and edgy.

Good to know.
Reply 12
Original post by effofex
I thought the looters were opportunists, rather than motivated to loot by the specific ethnicity of Mark Duggan.

The rioting started after a protest march over the shooting of mark duggan (a career criminal armed with a pistol) turned violent. The protesters were primarily criminal since they were composed of duggan's family, friends and affiliates. They were primarily black and the protest was about police racism and the usual.
Reply 13
I've just moved into a new flat and didn't even know about the riots until they were over.. that's how bad life is without tv and internet. Anyway, from what I've seen from the looting perspective is that "everybody was doing it", I'm not sure what actually started the riots but according to Panorama it was a protest outside of a police station which got heated and further escalated.

It's disgusting what's actually happened though, I remember reading that somebody has been jailed for stealing chewing gum :facepalm:, life over for a few pack of Wrigley's.
Reply 14
Original post by Bonged.
The rioting started after a protest march over the shooting of mark duggan (a career criminal armed with a pistol) turned violent. The protesters were primarily criminal since they were composed of duggan's family, friends and affiliates. They were primarily black and the protest was about police racism and the usual.

I thought it started with a peaceful protest in Tottenham by close family and affiliates. Outside the capital, the looters/rioters were predominantly of non-black groupings.
Reply 15
Original post by effofex
I thought it started with a peaceful protest in Tottenham by close family and affiliates. Outside the capital, the looters/rioters were predominantly of non-black groupings.

It wasn't peaceful for long.

Actually, the looting only took place in areas with a large black population. look it up.
Original post by Bonged.

It wasn't police racism. More police corruption.
Cycle of poverty leads to frustration which leads to the rioting that we've seen. Add in a few bored and immature teenagers who probably thought it would be fun.
Reply 18
What more did they expect from a democratic country like England?If they want to express their aspirations they could demonstrate peacefully.Just look at people in other countries who are struggling for their basic human rights.In China and Vietnam they banned facebook,and even discussing about sensitive politic problems in a forum like that can result in you be jailed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending