The Student Room Group

Higher Business Management, advice?

I'm in 6th Year and I'm crashing Higher Business Management. Anyone taken it before/doing it and able to give any advice as to how to achieve a good grade and what to do throughout the year?

Also, could someone explain what the course and exam entail?

Finally, are there any good books I should buy to help?

Any help is greatly appreciated! :biggrin:
Reply 1
I'm crashing it aswell I just bought brightred business management revision book and it is very helpful
Reply 2
I crashed higher business last year and got a B :smile: i'm not too sure how i only got a B because i thought the exam was easy as hell!
anyways, to achieve a good grade all you need to do is stay on top of your learning. i really suggest working hard for NABS because i find that helps you to break down what you're revising.

the course is split into marketing, finance, human resources, ict, business in contemporary society, decision making, operations and internal organistions. it's a big course - my teacher even thought that it our course was too much - so STAY ON TOP OF IT ALL!

the exam is quite long(2&half hours) but you don't notice but you need all of time! it's split into 2 sections, each worth 50 marks. you HAVE to answer all in section 1, and you pick 2 questions to answer in section 2.
the very first question involves a case study and i really reccomend getting good at the case studies cause they are worth 10 marks :biggrin:

the book i would recommend is "leckie & leckie: business management (int2 & higher)" :smile:

good luck, i really enjoyed the course :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by ohmisslaura
I crashed higher business last year and got a B :smile: i'm not too sure how i only got a B because i thought the exam was easy as hell!
anyways, to achieve a good grade all you need to do is stay on top of your learning. i really suggest working hard for NABS because i find that helps you to break down what you're revising.

the course is split into marketing, finance, human resources, ict, business in contemporary society, decision making, operations and internal organistions. it's a big course - my teacher even thought that it our course was too much - so STAY ON TOP OF IT ALL!

the exam is quite long(2&half hours) but you don't notice but you need all of time! it's split into 2 sections, each worth 50 marks. you HAVE to answer all in section 1, and you pick 2 questions to answer in section 2.
the very first question involves a case study and i really reccomend getting good at the case studies cause they are worth 10 marks :biggrin:

the book i would recommend is "leckie & leckie: business management (int2 & higher)" :smile:

good luck, i really enjoyed the course :biggrin:

thank you so much for this! luckily, i ordered that book a couple days ago and it came today! :biggrin: Anything you think is particularly difficult?
Reply 4
the part i found most difficult was finance. there are a lot of ratios that you need to learn but you don't have to actually learn how to do the sum, just what it's used for i think :smile: my teacher told me that if you just right the ratio in the exam, you can get a mark lol.

but yeah honestly most things do come with common sense.. a lot to remember but i think it's the one course that i feel that will benefit me in the future - even if i'm not going into a business based career :smile:
Reply 5
Said this countless times and it's something really simple, but learn your command words and how to respond to the questions the appropriate way for the command word. It sounds like something really stupid, but it's actually what gets you the marks. If it says explain, then actually explain it. You'd be surprised by the amount of people who seem incapable to answer 'explain' questions.

I self-taught the whole course, using Scholar and the Leckie and Leckie book to do so. Both are really good resources and if you have a Scholar account, I'd use it for business. As has been said, just make sure you keep on top of the work. When it gets to prelim/exam time, do all the past papers to get an idea of the types of questions asked and how to answer them. This will also give you loads of practice for question 1 which is a 10 marker where you have to identify loads of stuff from the case study related to marketing, HR, or whatever they ask for. I researched the course like mad as it was self-taught so any questions, I'm happy to help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending