The Student Room Group

Higher History 2011-2012

I couldn't find a thread about this, so I thought I'd make one.
I'm crashing history and thought it'd be a good idea to hopefully get advice/tips for people who have sat it previously and for people sitting it this year to discuss things and share information. :smile:
Reply 1
I'm sitting it this year(6th year) and am finding analysis difficult,I chose to do it this year instead of 5th year,so I've forgotten some of the skills at SG. I can have pro points for an arguments,but find it difficult to counter argue them.
Reply 2
I'm crashing this year too! :smile:
Reply 3
I haven't started analysis stuff yet and people keep saying it's really difficult and I haven't done SG so I don't know the skills D: haha
Reply 4
The best tip I can offer is to always argue in your essays. It's not really a skill you get taught, its one you have to learn as you go along.

I wouldn't worry about crashing it, though I did history at SG, no knowledge or skills are needed from this to do higher. Though it would have helped when it comes to answering sources, you are in no way disadvantaged.
Reply 5
Original post by golfpro14
The best tip I can offer is to always argue in your essays. It's not really a skill you get taught, its one you have to learn as you go along.

I wouldn't worry about crashing it, though I did history at SG, no knowledge or skills are needed from this to do higher. Though it would have helped when it comes to answering sources, you are in no way disadvantaged.

Really? Our teacher pretty much said "Forget everything from SG" :lol:

I'm taking higher this year too. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by emmasaur
Really? Our teacher pretty much said "Forget everything from SG" :lol:

I'm taking higher this year too. :smile:

Some of the sources Q's at SG are the same at higher, like "How useful..." But your answers have to be much, much longer and there is a greater emphasis on using recalled knowledge than just copying from the source, which is probably why your teacher said that.

The SQA must be pretty strict at marking them too, as I failed the sources paper of this year's exam despite almost getting full marks in the prelim...
Reply 7
This thread is a bit old(ish) but I was hoping someone on here could help me with a history essay I'm struggling with. What factors lead to the acts being passed? (democracy topic) I'm having so much trouble with it.
Reply 8
Original post by OddThings
This thread is a bit old(ish) but I was hoping someone on here could help me with a history essay I'm struggling with. What factors lead to the acts being passed? (democracy topic) I'm having so much trouble with it.

Democracy topic? Democracy where - Scotland, England, Wales, USA, Germany.... Space? Obviously I'm going off topic there since Germany became a dictatorship but that's not the point. I would help if it was more specific.

Back to the main thread, like others have said, my teacher also told me to forget everything from SG. In the exam, the questions are similar style, but there's more involvement with essays. The key to essays which I am starting to pick up on is practice. The more essays you do - the higher the grade you will get in the long term. I was constantly getting told that my essays were 'good' but I needed more analysis. All you simply have to do is comment on whatever you're analysing, and say how it could be improved or whatever. Also, you will only really get a good grade A essay if you include at least 2 quotes. I've noticed I also get better marks when I include historiography (arguments between historians with opposing views).
So far I've just finished the Germany topic and starting on Scotland. For Germany there's only about 5-10% of the same stuff from SG e.g. Hitler's revolution and little things like the Reichstag Fire, 'Night of the Long Knives'. :yy:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
What topics are people doing?

For Paper 1, I'm doing Britain 1851-1951 and the USA 1918-1968 and for paper 2, The Wars of Independence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending