The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

getting a job with Open University degree?

Hi everyone

I am currently studying towards a BA Hons business studies degree with the Open Uni and worried that employers wont respect it as much as a bricks and mortar degree? Has anyone got a good job through obtaining a open uni degree?
Yes people have. I cannot really speak from my own experience as when I graduated I took a job within the company I already worked for.

It is always difficult to judge the 'impact' of an Open University degree as a lot of the graduates also have experience in their fields.

Remember that a lot of 'experienced' jobs are more interested in your previous career, the degree requirement is just a filter, so if they say 'numerate degree' or '2.1 or above' then it does not matter where you got it from.

For the graduate schemes there is more of a challenge to get your foot in the door. However there are usually similar filters, e.g. minimum grades, subject choices etc. then after that you will be judged on other things, such as your personal statement, your motivations for choosing that career, or that employer, your other achievements, recruitment days and tests.

As a summary, yes people will have obtained good jobs with an Open University degree, however the degree can only get you past the initial filters.

Do you know what type of job you want? because some careers require further vocational exams, and the fact that you have shown you are capable of learning in your spare time is something you can use as an advantage.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Quick Reply

Latest