The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No. Exceptions are things like college library work, and working for the Cambridge Admissions Office as a "CAMbassador" on outreach programmes".

Some students work on the sly, but its very unusual for people to have enough time/energy to work alongside term work because its so intense. You'll want your free time for relaxing!
Also the University has generous bursaries which will make up for any financial hardship. And there are long holidays in which to earn money.
Reply 2
I am not a current student at Cambridge, but It would be highly unlikely that you could get a job for only 5 hours a week. Most part time jobs you need to do atleast 16 hours a week.

And in response to your actual question, I dont see why they wouldn't let you get a job, if you still put in the effort needed to get the work done well. Take notice of the phrase "DONE WELL"
Reply 3
Original post by Craghyrax
No. Exceptions are things like college library work, and working for the Cambridge Admissions Office as a "CAMbassador" on outreach programmes".

Some students work on the sly, but its very unusual for people to have enough time/energy to work alongside term work because its so intense. You'll want your free time for relaxing!
Also the University has generous bursaries which will make up for any financial hardship. And there are long holidays in which to earn money.

OK. So maybe I was a bit wrong in my assumtion. But I personally dont see the harm in a paid job if you put in the effort required of you.
Reply 4
Original post by wsmccusker
OK. So maybe I was a bit wrong in my assumtion. But I personally dont see the harm in a paid job if you put in the effort required of you.

That has nothing to do with what I said. I simply posited the view that most students wouldn't want to work. I said nothing about whether or not they should. If someone arrives and find that they still want to work five hours on top of their studies, then they may knock themselves out (hopefully not literally, but don't discard the possibility).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
I am not a current student at Cambridge...

In that case you may not be aware that Directors of Studies (who often have less than ten students who they personally oversee and regularly meet with on a one to one basis) often require their students to work between 50 and 60 hours per week on their subject.
Reply 6

It seems here that you are saying that students shouldn't work. Or atleast the College is not to fond of it happening.

Not looking for an argument, just clarifying what I said and why I said it.
Reply 7
Generally, you won't find time to maintain a part-time job AND work/sleep/drink. However, like Craghyrax said above, there are certain exceptions, such as CAMbassadoring or being a test subject (for psychological/MRI experiments).

I've CAMbassadored for a couple of years now and it's great fun, although the availability of work is inconsistent. I'd do it for free :tongue:, but the pay is decent.
Reply 8
It seems here that you are saying that students shouldn't work. Or atleast the College is not to fond of it happening.

Students 'should not' work in the sense that working is not permitted.

Craggy was saying that she didn't mean to imply that she had any personal opinion over whether this was right or wrong.
Reply 9
:ditto:

She asked if the University would give her permission to work. I said 'no'. This was a purely factual statement. I am at a loss to see how that can be seen as suggesting students shouldn't work.

I was indeed saying that Colleges are not fond of it happening, but that is entirely different from suggesting what a person should or shouldn't do. It is just a factual description of what the College will permit if asked by the OP, which is I believe the answer requested.
(edited 12 years ago)
What about outside of term time?
Reply 11
Original post by iammichealjackson
What about outside of term time?

You can work as much as you like outside of term time. It's quite common for people to work over the holidays (that's what I do).
I am not a current student at Cambridge, but It would be highly unlikely that you could get a job for only 5 hours a week. Most part time jobs you need to do atleast 16 hours a week.

And in response to your actual question, I dont see why they wouldn't let you get a job, if you still put in the effort needed to get the work done well. Take notice of the phrase "DONE WELL"

I currently have a part time job (well, saturday job) at Greggs for 5 hours. I was thinking about transferring to Cambridge.
Original post by SaturnineDragonfly
I currently have a part time job (well, saturday job) at Greggs for 5 hours. I was thinking about transferring to Cambridge.

I don't recall ever seeing a Greggs in Cambridge, and google suggests that the nearest is St Ives. I.e. not near at all.
I think it would be best to see if you could handle the study rate before trying to work as well.

It would be horrible to sacrifice so much work just trying to get a little pocket money.
Reply 15
I don't recall ever seeing a Greggs in Cambridge, and google suggests that the nearest is St Ives. I.e. not near at all.

It's right next to Waitrose on Fitzroy street...?
Original post by Zhen Lin
It's right next to Waitrose on Fitzroy street...?

Oh yeh, probably.
Original post by nuodai
You can work as much as you like outside of term time. It's quite common for people to work over the holidays (that's what I do).

Is there alot of work to do outside of term however... apart from obviously the term before exams.
Reply 18
Original post by iammichealjackson
Is there alot of work to do outside of term however... apart from obviously the term before exams.

It varies depending on subject and time of year really. I tend to have a lot of work for over the holidays, but that doesn't prevent me from having a job. My job gave me hours in short, heavy bursts; for example, over Christmas I did quite a few 10- and 12-hour shifts, but this meant I could have plenty of free days to do work (and enjoy the holiday of course). I don't work over Easter though; I tend to revise more or less flat out.

Some subjects are different. Mine has a fairly consistent workload throughout the year, but some subjects will afford you a few fairly free holidays and a few really hectic ones when you have to get dissertations done and so on. But to be honest you can just play it by ear.

[FWIW I've quit my job because I won't be working in the holidays next year; but I'm on an internship this summer to make up for it.]
Reply 19
My college's bar is completely student-run, quite a few people work there on the odd evening.

Latest

Trending

Trending