The Student Room Group

The brave RED ARROW 4 Pilot who today died...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rascacielos
As far as I'm aware, he did actually eject. But it's true that he did steer the plane away from houses. A truely skilled man who should be remembered. I can't believe I watched him perform a month ago at Waddington airshow and now he's dead.

Jon Egging was his name.

Checkmate ****.
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Jon Egging was his name.

Checkmate ****.

I missed the joke.
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
Sad day to lose a talented pilot, but he died doing what he loved.

Crashing into the ground? :s-smilie:
Original post by Rascacielos
I missed the joke.

I missed yours too.
Original post by LivingMemory
Crashing into the ground? :s-smilie:

Flying . . .
Reply 25
Original post by fluteflute
These pilots are all RAF squadron leaders; they must be so talented. And they are: I was on Bournemouth beach this afternoon and it was an amazing show from the red arrows. Very sad to hear about this.

Actually they are mostly flight lieutenants. http://www.raf.mod.uk/reds/behindthescenes/displaypilots.cfm

RIP Flt/Lt Egging. Its hard to believe I was in the same room as them all a few weeks ago. Got autograph from red 5 (Kirsty).
Be interesting to see if the crash is due to shoddy maintenance as a result of the cuts that has been happening.
Reply 27
Original post by insignificant
This man had to decide in a split second whether he would eject from his plane and let it hit houses, or avoid the houses and sacrifice his own life... what a brave man, and he is a constant reminder of the daily life or death situations our Army and RAF put ourselves in.

Bit speculative non?
he must have been retarded cos he had plenty of time to eject
Original post by UAG

A man has just died, show some respect and tact.
Original post by Aj12
Where did you hear the first bit? If it is then the man truly is a brave guy.

I think it's a bit of made up stuff to make the story sound sweet. Although I do admire the RAF and the Red Arrows
Reply 31
Original post by Howard
Bit speculative non?

Possibly, but some eyewitness accounts do point towards it being a possibility. There is a precedent for such actions, too.

Original post by Erich Hartmann
Be interesting to see if the crash is due to shoddy maintenance as a result of the cuts that has been happening.

Criticise the cuts all you want, but never make out that the cream of the RAF's engineers are anything but highly professional when looking after and maintaining their aircraft. A tragedy like this should never be used for cheap political points and we insult the memory of those who died if we do so.

Original post by UAG

And you know this from your many thousands of hours of professional military piloting and low level airshow experience? No, thought not, don't talk about stuff you're incapable of doing.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Helpful_Charlie
A man has just died, show some respect and tact.

all im saying is that they should have monitored their pilots better, he died cos either he was suicidal or he had bad health
Reply 33
Original post by UAG
all im saying is that they should have monitored their pilots better, he died cos either he was suicidal or he had bad health

Your ignorance, idiocy and callousness know no limits.
Original post by UAG

Jesus man, you know **** all about what you're talking about do you? No one has any idea why this happened yet. It could have been bad maintenence, error in judgement, something could have simply just gone wrong, as they say. NO ONE knows yet, but you cant surely say that the pilot had bad health or suicidal, without even knowing who the red arrows are and how they're chosen for their role in the first place, let alone the training htye go through and the conditions they experience while doing their flying?

And if it was a case of he had to direct the plane away fromthe houses first, then he is a very brave man, and RIP. Its evident from the pictures straight off and the description of a crack but no explosion that he may have tried a crash landing in the field, but obviously was going too fast for it to succeed. In that situation, do you honestly thinkyou could do any better? And no, 'experience' on Battlefield or CoD does not count.
Original post by UAG

Wow. So a guy who has just finished performing several flawless aerobatic maneuvers as part of a closely knit team suddenly loses it and decides to commit suicide? How'd you work that one out?

The reason for his death is the subject of an investigation, but I'll wager it was a problem with the aircraft that neither the pilot (one of the best in the RAF if he was accepted into the Arrows) nor the ground crew (again, some of the best in the RAF) could have foreseen. Things go wrong, it does happen.
Hope that he is given a good send off. He showed courage and great admiration to the team and RAF for sacrificying himself and saving people's home and lives for making that split second decision. It can't of been easy, and my thoughts are with his family, and colleagues.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending