The Student Room Group

Want to be an actuary and apply unis with the following AS results

I want to be an actuary in the future and I might apply for the unis and courses below:
Imperial - Mathematics
UCL - Mathematics
UCL - Maths with Economics
LSE - Actuarial Science
LSE - Maths with Economics
Warwick - MORSE
Warwick - Mathematics
Durham - Mathematics
Kings College London - Mathematics

My AS results are as follow:
Human Bio - B
Chemistry - B
Physics - A

and A2 result:
Maths - A but C3 is 69/100 and C4 is 86/100
Im doing Maths, Further Maths, Phy, Chem, Human Bio
Ill definitely retake Chem and Maths to get A and A*
And Ill drop Human Bio

Questions:
1.Am I very unlikely to get into those unis? Becz I just want to get into the unis above
2.And which 5 choices should i choose?
3.Also, do u think i should just post my AS Maths result in ucas? Becz i need to retake C3 and C4 for Maths and Ill definitely get an A*, and Im very confident to get A or A* in A-level Further Maths

Thx very much :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EDO
I want to be an actuary in the future and I might apply for the unis and courses below:
Imperial - Mathematics
UCL - Mathematics
LSE - Actuarial Science
Warwick - MORSE
Warwick - Mathematics
Durham - Mathematics

Human Bio - B
Chemistry - B
Physics - A

and A2 result:
Maths - A

And Ill drop Human Bio

Questions:
1.Am I very unlikely to get into those unis? Becz I just want to get into the unis above
3.Also, do u think i should just post my AS Maths result in ucas? Becz i need to retake C3 and C4 for Maths and Ill definitely get an A*, and Im very confident to get A or A* in A-level Further Maths

1. Not to say very unlikely, but you can always try. It's the final grades that matter anyways.
2. Bold, are those universities that I think you might want to look into.
3. I thought you should post up everything in UCAS?
Reply 2
EDO
OP
THX! My AS maths UMS r pretty gd so maybe its better juz to post AS result

Anyone plx I nd more advise!!!
Original post by EDO
THX! My AS maths UMS r pretty gd so maybe its better juz to post AS result

Anyone plx I nd more advise!!!

Here's one piece of advice; don't write like that in your personal statement.

You can't just put your AS result, the UCAS terms say you have to declare every single qualification you have, if you got an A in Maths, you have to put that down. If you're re-sitting certain modules, make another A-Level for Maths and put C3/C4 as "pending".
Reply 4
EDO
OP
alright...
Wt do u think abt the chances to get into those unis???
When I was at school, you could accept or reject AS grades. If you accepted them, you HAD to put them on your UCAS form. If you rejected them, you can't. If you resit normally you reject, so then your grades don't go on your UCAS, only predicted grades from the school. It's also best to either reject OR accept ALL your grades, cos if you reject 1, the uni will know you are resitting so presumably did badly at AS (whereas some schools automatically reject all AS grades, so it's perfectly feasible that that's why you have no AS grades on your form).

This was 6 or 7 years ago though.....
Reply 6
EDO
OP
My AS Maths grade is A and UMS is 286/300 but my A2 is bad C3 only got 69/100 and C4 86/100

Is it better if the unis look at my AS Maths only but not to declose my whole A level Maths result?
Reply 7
EDO
OP
Anyone can give me more advise plx?
Reply 8
EDO
OP
anyone else plx?
Original post by EDO
My AS Maths grade is A and UMS is 286/300 but my A2 is bad C3 only got 69/100 and C4 86/100

Is it better if the unis look at my AS Maths only but not to declose my whole A level Maths result?

Just READ the replies you're getting - you HAVE to disclose ALL of your results to UCAS.
Reply 10
Original post by EDO
Imperial - Mathematics
UCL - Mathematics
LSE - Actuarial Science
Warwick - MORSE
Warwick - Mathematics
Durham - Mathematics

Human Bio - B
Chemistry - B
Physics - A

and A2 result:
Maths - A

And Ill drop Human Bio

Questions:

Hmmmm. To be honest Imperial, LSE and Warwick are going to be risky if you don't repeat and get better grades. Bear this in mind: the fact that on top of all your repeats you will have to do well in your A2 modules that you are studying means you will putting a lot of stress on yourself. As far as I know, I think for your year you have to disclose your grades in any case UCL I'm sure will ask you for your UMS grades in ALL your maths modules. And they bluntly told me that most of the time we only accept people who get an average >93 UMS for their modules. So I DEFINITELY know that UCL is going to be very risky. Kings you should be fine. Durham I am not so sure about so ask someone.

One thing I would do is book the department talks given on the open days of universities. The admissions tutors ALWAYS give these and you can actually get an answer straight from the horse's mouth. But since I applied to UCL and know quite a few people who applied for LSE, Warwick and Imperial my advice isn't totally void.
Reply 11
EDO
OP
Original post by anshul95
Hmmmm. To be honest Imperial, LSE and Warwick are going to be risky if you don't repeat and get better grades. Bear this in mind: the fact that on top of all your repeats you will have to do well in your A2 modules that you are studying means you will putting a lot of stress on yourself. As far as I know, I think for your year you have to disclose your grades in any case UCL I'm sure will ask you for your UMS grades in ALL your maths modules. And they bluntly told me that most of the time we only accept people who get an average >93 UMS for their modules. So I DEFINITELY know that UCL is going to be very risky. Kings you should be fine. Durham I am not so sure about so ask someone.

One thing I would do is book the department talks given on the open days of universities. The admissions tutors ALWAYS give these and you can actually get an answer straight from the horse's mouth. But since I applied to UCL and know quite a few people who applied for LSE, Warwick and Imperial my advice isn't totally void.

Repeat? U mean repeat Lower Sixth? Or retake those modulus?
Wt if my predicted grades are gd?
Reply 12
Original post by EDO
Repeat? U mean repeat Lower Sixth? Or retake those modulus?
Wt if my predicted grades are gd?

No I meant retake modules. I guess if there are two or three modules letting you down then fine repeat those modules. Perhaps if you can PM me your module breakdown I'll be able to advise you better. But take note of my advice in my previous post.
Reply 13
EDO
OP
wt do u guyz think if i apply for dentistry?
Which one has a higher chance to get in for my results?
Maths/Actuarial Science or Dentistry?

CZ i really want to get into LSE, Imperial, UCL or Warwick
Otherwise if my chance is low i hv to chance for applying dentistry!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
You can usually find the applicants/intake on the course websites.
Reply 15
EDO
OP
im asking the chance and advise
the website i hv looked at it...
Reply 16
EDO
OP
anyone??
Do i have to post all my UMS? Or juz especially for some unis?
Reply 17
Do you fully understand what an actuary actually does?
Reply 18
EDO
OP
Original post by laura1611
Do you fully understand what an actuary actually does?

Ys
But I need some advise for what Ive said
Reply 19
Original post by EDO
wt do u guyz think if i apply for dentistry?
Which one has a higher chance to get in for my results?
Maths/Actuarial Science or Dentistry?

CZ i really want to get into LSE, Imperial, UCL or Warwick
Otherwise if my chance is low i hv to chance for applying dentistry!

That's rather silly in my opinion. Dentistry is a stupidly competitive course WAY more competitive than maths at any uni. And its not just grades they want. They want relevant work exp, relevant extra curriculars, perfect PS, UKCAT etc.

Quick Reply

Latest