The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

bringing a bike to sussex university?

my mum and dad agreed to buy me a bike (as in a normal, peddle bike) if i did well in my exams, and we went bike shopping today. i found this AMAZING vintage looking bike...which was inevitably quite expensive :s-smilie:

should i be nervous about taking this to sussex? it will remain on campus at all times, probably - if i did ride it outside of campus i wouldn't leave it unattended. and of course when i do leave it it will always be chained up?

i dont even live in a crappy area and yet throughout my life my bikes have been stolen TWICE and its depressing :frown:

so i guess my questions are:

1) will it be safe? if its on campus then presumably the only potential thieves will be other students.
2) are there many/any bike railings around campus?
3) i STILL dont know what damn accomodation i'm in, but are there places to store my bike out of the rain but still by a rail it can be chained to?

i realise how awkward these questions are, lol! dont want to get the bike if it gets nicked in two weeks though :frown::frown::frown::frown:
Reply 1
Original post by Charlieeeeee
so i guess my questions are:

1) will it be safe? if its on campus then presumably the only potential thieves will be other students.
2) are there many/any bike railings around campus?
3) i STILL dont know what damn accomodation i'm in, but are there places to store my bike out of the rain but still by a rail it can be chained to?
1 - maybe. Campus is relatively safe but bikes are stolen. Whilst it is mostly students around, the campus is obviously open to anyone who wants to wander onto it and there have been incidents where non-students travel to the campus to nick things because sometimes students aren't very careful with their things (partly because the campus feels so safe)
2 - yes there are bike racks, we could probably do with some more but there are lots. Lots of people cycle to and from the campus
3 - not sure about this one. I don't venture up to the residences end of campus very often but from memory the older residences don't have covered bike storage but I think some of the newer bits might.

Could you get some insurance for it in case it got stolen?

Jo
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Most of the bikes you see out and about in town look pretty plain or a little shabby, maybe consider getting a less expensive one? I'm still riding a shiny blue full suspension bike that I thought was cool when I was 13 :rolleyes:. I'm just waiting for it to get stolen whenever I go anywhere.
Reply 3
Original post by SussexJo
1 - maybe. Campus is relatively safe but bikes are stolen. Whilst it is mostly students around, the campus is obviously open to anyone who wants to wander onto it and there have been incidents where non-students travel to the campus to nick things because sometimes students aren't very careful with their things (partly because the campus feels so safe)
2 - yes there are bike racks, we could probably do with some more but there are lots. Lots of people cycle to and from the campus
3 - not sure about this one. I don't venture up to the residences end of campus very often but from memory the older residences don't have covered bike storage but I think some of the newer bits might.

Could you get some insurance for it in case it got stolen?

Jo

yes, im thinking about insurance. although it wasnt too expensive it was my exam results present from my parents, so id be pretty upset if it was taken :frown:
i'm planning on taking every precaution, i'm getting it security tagged so its less attractive to theives, and i'm getting a strong bike lock. its not so much securing it when i go out that i'm worried about, i'm more concerned about the rest of the year when its just sitting in the same place because bikes arent allowed to be stored in the halls :frown:

thanks for your help anyway! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by TKC
Most of the bikes you see out and about in town look pretty plain or a little shabby, maybe consider getting a less expensive one? I'm still riding a shiny blue full suspension bike that I thought was cool when I was 13 :rolleyes:. I'm just waiting for it to get stolen whenever I go anywhere.

lol! it wasnt too expensive but its a pretty vintage one i got second hand :frown: dear lord why are people so pikey? why are there only a handful of people who would steal a car but so many people are happy to steal an unattended bike? eugh :|
Reply 5
I'm also thinking about bringing my bike, It seems like a great a way to travel to and from Brighton when the weathers good enough.
I should be moving to the park houses so I hope there is cycle storage?
In the Sussex book it says there are bike on campus that can be used to travel around the campus, does anyone know any more about this?
1. Your bike might be safe. There's plenty of places to chain it up, and I never saw a bike that had been vandalised or anything, but my housemate did have hers stolen (when it was chained up).
2. Yes, lots. But there's also a lot of cyclists, so finding somewhere to put it might be a problem. There seems to be quite a few people chaining theirs to fences outside teaching buildings.
3. Park villages aren't covered, some of the park houses (but not all), and brighthelm's are. I don't think east slopes are either, but you might have better luck with the newer, nicer halls. You aren't really meant to bring your bike inside, but in park village, brighthelm and maybe east slope it would usually be ok so long as it's not on your cleaning day, or if you keep it in your room.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending