Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lancaster Medicine Applicants 2012 :)

Announcements Posted on
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzy999)
    Whoops nvm I found this http://www.liv.ac.uk/study/undergrad...-requirements/ --- they do accept internationals so relieved!!
    but then if you check Lancaster's site http://www.lancs.ac.uk/shm/med/cme/medicine_mbchb/

It does say
    At present only home/EU students are eligible to apply for the medical degree programme at Lancaster. Applicants who are classified as overseas are not eligible
    I am not trying to worry you or anything but I just think you should call them and ask about it and see if there is any way round it.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help, the information from both sites are so misleading, now I've just screwed up one choice
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help, the information from both sites are so misleading, now I've just screwed up one choice
    OMG, I feel so bad for letting you know about it.

Did you call Lancaster?! You really should! If they say that they can't accept you then ask to be put into another course at the uni for something that is not med so that you don't just waste a choice.

Best of luck!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by areyousure?)
    OMG, I feel so bad for letting you know about it.

Did you call Lancaster?! You really should! If they say that they can't accept you then ask to be put into another course at the uni for something that is not med so that you don't just waste a choice.

Best of luck!
    Don't feel bad, it was my fault for not checking clearly I still have three choices left for medicine : Bristol, Birmingham and Liverpool. But I just have a general question, why does Lancaster only have 50 spots, whereas others would have like 200..?
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't feel bad, it was my fault for not checking clearly I still have three choices left for medicine : Bristol, Birmingham and Liverpool. But I just have a general question, why does Lancaster only have 50 spots, whereas others would have like 200..?
    aw sorry . All of oyur choises will love you! So I am sure you'll get lots and lots of offers
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    From what I understand it is because they don't actually run the course as such. Like regularly you watch lectures live from Liverpool or something like that, so then I guess if there were more places and the teaching is like this it will be very difficult for students to do well.

Other than that I don't see any other reason why they only have 50 places, unless its to do with being a new med school built just to provide more doctors at a time where the numbers were running low..

As I said, do call them and talk about it. Ask to be put for something else.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    From what I understand it is because they don't actually run the course as such. Like regularly you watch lectures live from Liverpool or something like that, so then I guess if there were more places and the teaching is like this it will be very difficult for students to do well.

Other than that I don't see any other reason why they only have 50 places, unless its to do with being a new med school built just to provide more doctors at a time where the numbers were running low..

As I said, do call them and talk about it. Ask to be put for something else.
    Thanks I will wake up at 5:00 am to ask them about it . It's a five hour difference from Canada!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I will wake up at 5:00 am to ask them about it . It's a five hour difference from Canada!
    yeah, but Canada is awesome :P so its okayy!! I applied to UofT last year :P

are you actually calling them then?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    yeah, but Canada is awesome :P so its okayy!! I applied to UofT last year :P

are you actually calling them then?
    Yepp I called them, they told me to ask my referee to send a letter to UCAS regarding my situation :rolleyes: I hope all goes well. Is it generally extremely competitive in the UK when applying for med schools? I was looking at the amount of med schools in the UK .... And it was 22! We only have 9 or 10 in Canada and you would have to finish an undergrad degree in order to even attempt to apply to med school
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yepp I called them, they told me to ask my referee to send a letter to UCAS regarding my situation :rolleyes: I hope all goes well. Is it generally extremely competitive in the UK when applying for med schools? I was looking at the amount of med schools in the UK .... And it was 22! We only have 9 or 10 in Canada and you would have to finish an undergrad degree in order to even attempt to apply to med school
    Yes it is VERY competitive in the UK. According to some stats that I can't really quote only 40% of all applicants get in or something like that..

Are you also applying to unis in your country for an Undergrad?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is VERY competitive in the UK. According to some stats that I can't really quote only 40% of all applicants get in or something like that..

Are you also applying to unis in your country for an Undergrad?
    Lol I am already in my first year at u of t studying life sciences I was late in applying last year, so I applied this year that's still good 40% ?... Getting into med school in Canada is like trying to win the lottery :rolleyes:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lol I am already in my first year at u of t studying life sciences I was late in applying last year, so I applied this year that's still good 40% ?... Getting into med school in Canada is like trying to win the lottery :rolleyes:
    Oh! you go to UofT ! how cool
    Well that 40 % was good enough for me last year, I just didn't get the grades they asked for!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh! you go to UofT ! how cool
    Well that 40 % was good enough for me last year, I just didn't get the grades they asked for!
    No worries! This time, we will definitely ace it
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lancaster is an amazing city. I went there yesterday and WOAH. Nightlife is meh but it's not too bad!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doctor.)
    Lancaster is an amazing city. I went there yesterday and WOAH. Nightlife is meh but it's not too bad!
    I agree on that!! I thought it was small but its very nice!
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree on that!! I thought it was small but its very nice!
    I'm just glad I know people who go there . So I won't be a loner
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doctor.)
    I'm just glad I know people who go there . So I won't be a loner
    Well, you can always meet new people so knowing someone there already is not essential!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know when Lancaster start notifying us of Interviews/Offers/Rejections? The waiting is KILLING me. :/
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackThought)
    Anyone know when Lancaster start notifying us of Interviews/Offers/Rejections? The waiting is KILLING me. :/
    around December time I think... because they interview in January.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    around December time I think... because they interview in January.
    December is comming up fast lol :O

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 9, 2012
New on TSR

Your favourite film of the year?

For you personally what has been the best 2014 movie

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.