The Student Room Group

Do girls appreciate guys wearing designer clothes?

Okay so generally speaking can there be this type of advantage should a guy decide to invest in designer clothing? There's a lot of dynamics involved, of course, but is there any truth in the 'marketing ploy' that paying a lot more for clothes makes you (even that tiny bit) more attractive?

By designer clothes I obviously mean anything by a known designer, but the higher end stuff would be interesting to hear about (less conspicuously labeled Armani, Diesel's less affordable items or even Yves Saint Laurent).

Could be interesting.

Scroll to see replies

No they prefer nothing
Reply 2
They wont care what the label is per say, just if it fits well, looks decent quality, suits you etc.

And you don't get that from Primark/Topman, fact.
No, they don't.

Original post by Marshyy
They wont care what the label is per say, just if it fits well, looks decent quality, suits you etc.

You may be shopping in the wrong section.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Marshyy

Good point. What would you say the starting point (which brand/store/etc) is in terms of fitting well and being of decent quality?
Reply 5
A guy came into school once wearing an Armani jacket and I couldn't help but feel it was a bit douchey tbh. I don't know. I just think spending that much money for a label is vain and possibly stretching the boundaries of one's gender role...

Though another part of me thinks that guys should be able to spend their money on whatever they want.

I don't think I'd find it attractive personally, I'm pretty sure my ex got all his clothing from Primark and I couldn't have cared less.

Though I don't think I'd be judgemental as I may seem in this post if I knew a guy who placed emphasis on his appearence.

EMZ=]
Reply 6
Original post by MathematicsKiller
No, they don't.

You may be shopping in the wrong section.

Point me to the section in primark where the clothing isn't made by a blind chinese grandma, and the section in Topman where you can wear the clothing without looking like an absolute ****, and i'll happily visit.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
No, but I heard unicorns can get you pretty much instantly laid.
Reply 8
Original post by InjudiciouslyGreat
Good point. What would you say the starting point (which brand/store/etc) is in terms of fitting well and being of decent quality?

I'd go into house of fraser, they've got some of the higher brand Ralph Lauren/Lacoste but they've also got a lot of cheaper stuff, you'll be able to get a good fitting polo for £20 or so.
Reply 9
Original post by Marshyy
Point me to the section in primark where the clothing isn't made by a blind chinese grandma, and the section in Topman where you can wear the clothing without looking like an absolute c**t, and i'll happily visit.

Isle nine and three-quarters.
Original post by Marshyy
Point me to the section in primark where the clothing isn't made by a blind chinese grandma, and the section in Topman where you can wear the clothing without looking like an absolute c**t, and i'll happily visit.

Can't agree with your more mate. I never go in those shop, I mean look at primark it's like a dump with clothes all over the floor and not mentioning the clothes are ****.
So many guys answering a question for women...
Original post by Stardust Mirage
Can't agree with your more mate. I never go in those shop, I mean look at primark it's like a dump with clothes all over the floor and not mentioning the clothes are ****.

One thing primark is very handy for is stuff to accompany fancy dress or mega cheap accessories which you dont expect to wear more than once (most break after a few days of use) :rolleyes:

However, it is certainly not the place if you want to find clothes which fit well and have a nice cut. As a short person, they do nothing which fits me properly haha. The shoulders are far too constricting in their small clothes range :biggrin:
I've picked up some absolutely fantastic bargains in Primark. Topman I agree about though, you'll look like a prick wearing their stuff (especially those god-awful t-shirts). In saying that, wearing stuff like Armani, Lacoste etc on daily basis also makes you look like a douche.

Safest bet? Shop in Burton, ASOS etc.
I'm not so bothered about brands, but I like a man to look well dressed.

Clothes with huge brand logos look awful, but a well cut designer suit/jacket can look great. Of course wearing well cut and good quality clothes will make you look better, but it wouldn't be the deciding factor over whether to date a guy, for example.

Primark/Topman is a turn off.

OP wrt to:

Diesel higher end: yes, good
Armani non labelled: as long as it looks good, yes
YSL: as long as non labelled, yes good
Reply 16
i couldnt care less about designers. the odd thing looks nice and if you buy it cos you genuinely like it then thats fine (though a lot of the time i wouldnt notice if it was a designer label tbh) its the ones that buy it just because its a designer label thinking it'll make them look cool that actually turns me off a bit, just because its a lot of money for something and can make it look a bit vain/trying too hard. i also dont like some designer stuff as it seems theyve put more effort into putting their logo/brand name on the item (in big bold letters) and charged a fortune for something thats not even that nice and is really just a pretty ordinary plain t-shirt with their logo plastered on it.

as long as it fits properly, looks nice, suits their style and isnt falling apart then im fairly happy with anything they choose to wear and even stuff from primark is ok by me (mainly cos im skint normally so a lot of my stuff does come from primark, so its hypocritical of me to ban guys from wearing it too). i would rather someone put effort into looking nice/presentable and something they are comfortable in rather than if something has a designer name attached to it.
Primark is getting the hate in this topic lol.

Thanks anyway everyone, was genuinely interested.
I don't care for designers, although Calvin Klein is nice. I just like the guy to dress nice. I can't stand guys who wear ugly clothes, and have no care for their appearance.
Reply 19
As long as they have a nice personality its fine whatever they wear.

Latest