The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Freshers eTickets?

Just a quick question...

having found the sheffieldparties website and saw their ticket offers for fresher events I just wanted to ask any ex sheff freshers if they are worth buying? I dont get the impression its run by the unis SU? I could be wrong though..

I dont think for a second these are the only events running through freshers week..

cheers :biggrin:
I would just wait until you get there. In my experience most people go to union/accomodation events in freshers week as they just do what everyone else is doing and it's a way to meet people I guess. You're right btw, Sheffield Parties isn't the union, it's those guys who go round promoting club nights. A couple of people in my flat bought tickets in advance from the union but events sell out quickly and if no one else you know has a ticket you probably won't end up going. But as I said the tickets do sell out (freshers mania was the popular one when I was in 1st year) so if you talk to anyone from your flat on facebook you could sort something out between you all.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Cheers.. Do the union offer these type of tickets too then, for their own events?
Reply 3
Original post by WalkerFromWolves
Cheers.. Do the union offer these type of tickets too then, for their own events?

They do, you should be able to buy them off of the union website I think. :smile: Things did sell out quickly but when I was a fresher I just waited until I got to Endcliffe and only then did I get the tickets (depending on what my flatmates were doing). I think Sheffield Parties nights out aren't as good as the union ones, but get a mix in. When I got to uni I think we did Embrace on Monday (non-union), Tuesday Club on Tuesday (union), Corporation on Wednesday (non-union but amazing!), Thursday we just organized a block party and Friday was Fresher's Mania (union), Saturday I think I gave it a break and Sunday it was the UV bar crawl thing (non-union but a good laugh).

In general though I'd avoid Embrace like the plague once you've been there once to see it, I don't like the crowd there, the place smells like hell and overall it's just not nice, I prefer Corp or the union nights, but you'll figure it out for yourself soon enough. Plug is also a good night out and Leadmill is pretty good too.
For the Union, I got tickets to the Beach Party with Jaguar skills (bloody amazing), Live Wire and Pop Tarts. I ended up selling my Live Wire ticket and didn't go to Pop Tarts though. Live Wire's not incredibly popular so it never really sells out and it's basically smalltime gigs, so you love em or hate em, I wouldn't book anything for it.

I ended up buying tickets for the Endcliffe bar crawl (organized by RAG) which was really good fun and I got absolutely wasted (pennies just keep flying everywhere!), and also a ticket for Freshers Mania which was also good fun. But yeh, I wouldn't stock up too heavy on the tickets, in most likeliness the rest of your flat won't have tickets and won't be able to grab them for the rammed events e.g. Roar.

Whilst the Union is fun in the beginning, it's not the only destinations you can go to and as the semester progresses you'll find yourself going to Plug (probably very often) and Corp every now and then. Tuesday Club is also a very good shout (as well as the only thing you can really do in Sheffield on a Tuesday) if you're into dubstep/D&B.
(edited 12 years ago)
Wait until you get there unless you're already in contact with your future flatmates and you've already decided what to do! One of my flatmates bought tickets to a lot of things before we got there, and then when the rest of us wanted to go as well they were sold out so she ended up not going.

I think my favourite freshers event was Population...we really wanted to go to the beach party at the Edge but it was sold out and so our block just had a little block party which was fun :biggrin: No matter what you end up doing you'll have fun :smile:
Yes if you wait until you get there you should go to the box office/Edge asap. I guess people who move in on a saturday have a bit of an advantage, as we were in the massive queue at the union on the sunday whilst the people arriving on the sunday were still unpacking. Roar and Pop Tarts are the ones that sell out really quickly.
This is the conundrum that I find myself in, buy tickets now but risk not finding people to go out with or not buying them and being disappointed.
Reply 8
Original post by Nidhogg_Rider
. Live Wire's not incredibly popular so it never really sells out and it's basically smalltime gigs, so you love em or hate em, I wouldn't book anything for it.

Live Wire stopped running in January this year due to poor ticket sales, they only sold 100 in the week before Christmas :s-smilie: From the fb event, it seems to be a "Fresher's Festival" on Thursday this year, basically another version of Fresher's Mania it seems!
Original post by Kt.b
Live Wire stopped running in January this year due to poor ticket sales, they only sold 100 in the week before Christmas :s-smilie: From the fb event, it seems to be a "Fresher's Festival" on Thursday this year, basically another version of Fresher's Mania it seems!

Ah really? I swear my flatmate and his girlfriend went to Live Wire like a bit before the end of 2nd semester!

Yeh Thursday does seem to be that tainted day though for the Union, they had an event on the year before that, that also got stopped due to poor sales too. Guess being directly after Roar/Corp and then being on the same day as Plug is a bit unfortunate!
Reply 10
Original post by Nidhogg_Rider
Ah really? I swear my flatmate and his girlfriend went to Live Wire like a bit before the end of 2nd semester!

Yeh Thursday does seem to be that tainted day though for the Union, they had an event on the year before that, that also got stopped due to poor sales too. Guess being directly after Roar/Corp and then being on the same day as Plug is a bit unfortunate!

It did move to Bar One and was better in there but still dead compared to any other night! I agree, I don't think Thursday club nights are a goer for the union, Space and Roar seems to attract the same crowd so a Thursday just isn't popular to go out on, especially when Plug is the alternative!
Reply 11
I will wait untill i get there to get tickets
but can i ask about the two big parties at the edge, the beach one and the school disco one...
will they be any good?
and do you have to buy tickets before hand for them? because on the su calendar it doesn't have a price on them, so does that mean you just turn up?
Original post by Heyhannah3
I will wait untill i get there to get tickets
but can i ask about the two big parties at the edge, the beach one and the school disco one...
will they be any good?
and do you have to buy tickets before hand for them? because on the su calendar it doesn't have a price on them, so does that mean you just turn up?

For the beach party as far as I know was pretty dire from what a lot of people said. I think the school disco (it's no Corp) was a bit rubbish too but i'm not exactly sure about that, both Edge events weren't fantastic really from what I heard, you'd be best spending your money heading down to the Union or something like that tbh!

Like there was an equivalent beach party being ran at the Union on the same night as the Edge one and it was just amazing, but it was mainly to do with Jaguar Skills playing!

I think you can just turn up to the Edge events as long as the venue isn't too packed so you can fit in.

Quick Reply